Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 03-08-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
PDF zoom options too coarse

I hardly ever read PDF, but the latest book I am reading is PDF, and the problem is that the 2nd smallest font is just a bit too small for my eyes, but the 3rd smallest is too big. As there are MANY levels of font sizes available, it seems silly to waste them all on HUGE fonts that would hardly ever be used.

Any way to make it behave differently?
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
Xochipilli2012
Zealot
Xochipilli2012 began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-600, Slate Blue Astak EZReader Pocket Pro
I would assume it would be somewhat dependent on how the books was originally laid out. Still, if the 3rd level is "too big" (for aesthetic purposes, I presume?) it seems you may want to try converting the PDF to a different format. As you've probably read, PDFs are the trickiest format to convert in that they are designed to be "fixed" in terms of layout. They don't "re-flow" naturally, the way most web pages can when you change the font-size or make the window smaller.

You can use Calibre to convert PDFs to another format, but unless you're good at crafting "regular expressions" ("regex") to eliminate page numbers, headers, footers and such, you are probably going to find them appearing in the midst of your text, which could prove annoying. I've had some success converting PDFs to HTML with MobiPocket Creator, using "regex" in a text editor to remove the unwanted code. (For some reason, I can't apply my limited regex knowledge to Calibre itself, otherwise I'd try to do it all there.)

Once you've got your book in HTML, you can apply CSS (styles) to get the font size(s) that are most comfortable for you. Calibre gives you a way to do this, I believe. From HTML you can easily convert to the other formats Calibre supports.

If I were you and in a hurry, I'd try running the PDF through Calibre and see if I liked the results. If the header/footer/page number stuff was sufficiently distracting, I might want to pursue techniques for removing it. Otherwise, just try to ignore it.

Good Luck!

(And I suspect you'll get some even better responses as time goes on as you're probably not alone with this issue.)
Xochipilli2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I should convert it. I guess I was just sounding out whether it was a generic pdf problem or not. It would be harder to convert if it was a drm'd book I had purchased, for example.

If the problem is caused by something inherent in the book, then the reader software really has to analyse this and 'calibrate' it's zoom settings to make them useful. Maybe it can 'calibrate' zoom levels based on the final number of pixels that each letter would be displayed with. A certain zoom level should ideally result in fonts being the same size each time.

...and the reason the font is too large for me, is the small number of words on each page means I have to turn the page way too often. It's also not as nice reading huge letters.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:51 PM   #4
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Fontsizes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Yes, I should convert it. I guess I was just sounding out whether it was a generic pdf problem or not. It would be harder to convert if it was a drm'd book I had purchased, for example.

If the problem is caused by something inherent in the book, then the reader software really has to analyse this and 'calibrate' it's zoom settings to make them useful. Maybe it can 'calibrate' zoom levels based on the final number of pixels that each letter would be displayed with. A certain zoom level should ideally result in fonts being the same size each time.

...and the reason the font is too large for me, is the small number of words on each page means I have to turn the page way too often. It's also not as nice reading huge letters.
Dear Jusmee:

The last firmware upgrade took both PDF and EPUB to 9 font sizes. Did you do the latest firmware upgrade??
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:22 PM   #5
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Jusmee:

The last firmware upgrade took both PDF and EPUB to 9 font sizes. Did you do the latest firmware upgrade??
Of course (unless you have released one in the last few days).

I explained, in my first message, that ...

"the problem is that the 2nd smallest font is just a bit too small for my eyes, but the 3rd smallest is too big. As there are MANY levels of font sizes available, it seems silly to waste them all on HUGE fonts that would hardly ever be used."

The problem is NOT the number of zoom levels, but the huge difference between them.
Advert
Old 03-11-2010, 05:29 PM   #6
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know, I realize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Of course (unless you have released one in the last few days).

I explained, in my first message, that ...

"the problem is that the 2nd smallest font is just a bit too small for my eyes, but the 3rd smallest is too big. As there are MANY levels of font sizes available, it seems silly to waste them all on HUGE fonts that would hardly ever be used."

The problem is NOT the number of zoom levels, but the huge difference between them.
Dear jusmee:

This would not be the only call for font graduations that are not so large. I suppose that the larger fonts are critical to those with poor eyesite. Older eyes do not do well with the small sizes. I understand what you are saying also. Let me see if once again they can go back and cut down on the graduation between choice 2 and choice 3!!

I DID expect that you did do the firmware upgrade. It was worth bringing up. Let me see what the factory can do!
Old 03-12-2010, 09:38 AM   #7
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Dear jusmee:

This would not be the only call for font graduations that are not so large. I suppose that the larger fonts are critical to those with poor eyesite. Older eyes do not do well with the small sizes. I understand what you are saying also. Let me see if once again they can go back and cut down on the graduation between choice 2 and choice 3!!

I DID expect that you did do the firmware upgrade. It was worth bringing up. Let me see what the factory can do!
Please don't do away with the large fonts sizes... those of us with bad eye sights need them. Just adjust the smaller fonts to different percentags. BTW, did the original poster download the lastest upgrade that gave th 9 sizes in epubs and pdf's. They seem to satify everyone.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:28 PM   #8
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
Please don't do away with the large fonts sizes... those of us with bad eye sights need them. Just adjust the smaller fonts to different percentags. BTW, did the original poster download the lastest upgrade that gave th 9 sizes in epubs and pdf's. They seem to satify everyone.

AJ
I agree completely! While a size in between 2 and 3 would be perfect for me, I CAN read a font that is larger than I'd like, but someone with extremely poor eyesight may lose the use of their reader completely if the larger sizes are removed.

It might make sense, however, to have the smaller fonts closer together in size and larger jumps between the top 3 or 4 sizes that aren't used as much, but are absolutely necessary for some.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:37 PM   #9
Robertb

Never worry... the large size fonts will be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I agree completely! While a size in between 2 and 3 would be perfect for me, I CAN read a font that is larger than I'd like, but someone with extremely poor eyesight may lose the use of their reader completely if the larger sizes are removed.

It might make sense, however, to have the smaller fonts closer together in size and larger jumps between the top 3 or 4 sizes that aren't used as much, but are absolutely necessary for some.
Larger font sizes will NOT be done away with to accomodate better graduation in smaller sizes.

There is nothing to say that we cannot have ten font sizes. I think what I will push for is a size halfway between font size 2 and font size 3 and leave everything else alone.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:31 PM   #10
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate
ThomasMcKean doesn't litterThomasMcKean doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
There is nothing to say that we cannot have ten font sizes. I think what I will push for is a size halfway between font size 2 and font size 3 and leave everything else alone.
I have to add my vote for halfway between 2 and 3. That would be most helpful.
ThomasMcKean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:34 PM   #11
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
BTW, did the original poster download the lastest upgrade that gave th 9 sizes in epubs and pdf's. They seem to satify everyone.
Asked and answered just a few posts up. - and note there are more people chiming in that they do NOT satisfy everyone.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:41 PM   #12
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMcKean View Post
I have to add my vote for halfway between 2 and 3. That would be most helpful.
Adding my vote for this as well. This would also be good for epub.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote