Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-20-2011, 10:23 PM   #1
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
John Saul Recommendations?

I used to read John Saul's books all the time. I didn't always like his books, but I enjoyed them despite any issues. Now that most of them are available as e-books, which ones do you recommend, either as a John Saul fan or as a casual fan? Or as someone who usually hates him but sometimes likes him? Or none of the above? Oras ... Never mind.

Also, are there any you really don't recommend?

FWIW I remember loving Creature (although I liked Christopher Pike's Monster, a similar book, a little better). I wasn't as crazy as Cry for the Sinners, but maybe that's because I experienced it as an audio book. I'm still not sure if I prefer his techno-horror to his horror horror, so both styles work for me sometimes.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
elk886
Enthusiast
elk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: PRS-650, Nook Glo Plus, Fire HDX7
The first book I ever read by him was Shadows. It's still my favorite and I must have read it about six times by now. I also enjoyed Black Creek Crossing, though it has been a while since I read that one. As for ones I don't recommend, I just finished Brainchild and I really didn't enjoy that one.

Last edited by elk886; 03-20-2011 at 10:36 PM.
elk886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2011, 10:55 PM   #3
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk886 View Post
The first book I ever read by him was Shadows. It's still my favorite and I must have read it about six times by now. I also enjoyed Black Creek Crossing, though it has been a while since I read that one. As for ones I don't recommend, I just finished Brainchild and I really didn't enjoy that one.
Oh I remember Shadows. I did like it, although one of the computer scenes made me go "Wha?" There was a part where the kid brother totally erases everything on his computer, and the way he went about it seemed really weird. I can't remember the specifics, but it seemed "off" to me. And of course it probably depended on the system he was using.

Black Creek Crossing. Hmm. *Downloads sample for the Nook.*
Old 03-21-2011, 03:44 PM   #4
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
I used to read John Saul's books all the time. I didn't always like his books, but I enjoyed them despite any issues. Now that most of them are available as e-books, which ones do you recommend, either as a John Saul fan or as a casual fan? Or as someone who usually hates him but sometimes likes him? Or none of the above? Oras ... Never mind.

Also, are there any you really don't recommend?

FWIW I remember loving Creature (although I liked Christopher Pike's Monster, a similar book, a little better). I wasn't as crazy as Cry for the Sinners, but maybe that's because I experienced it as an audio book. I'm still not sure if I prefer his techno-horror to his horror horror, so both styles work for me sometimes.
I haven't read him in years, and like you, I didn't always enjoy the books, but was willing to overlook flaws. Actually, with your mention of Christopher Pike as well, it would seem we're about the same age

I remember Shadows being my favorite, but also remember enjoying Second Child and The Homing. You may also like Dean Koontz or Brian Lumley, both authors I was reading around the same time as Saul, Pike and King. I think that was right around the time I took a shine to Critchon as well.

Did you ever read Pike's Last Vampire series? (It was originally 6 books, but I believe it was re-released as 2 compiled books recently, due to the huge market for vampire fiction.) I'd also recommend Pike's Season of Passage if you can find it. (Holy crap, it's coming out as an ebook this month! I had no idea! I dunno about $10 for an 18 year old Pike book though... I may hang on to my paperback for a bit yet.)
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:28 PM   #5
Critteranne
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
I haven't read him in years, and like you, I didn't always enjoy the books, but was willing to overlook flaws. Actually, with your mention of Christopher Pike as well, it would seem we're about the same age
Well I got my start with V. C. Andrews. Somewhere, I learned that kids who liked V. C. Andrews also liked John Saul. Maybe it's the teens-in-jeopardy concept.

Quote:
I remember Shadows being my favorite, but also remember enjoying Second Child and The Homing. You may also like Dean Koontz or Brian Lumley, both authors I was reading around the same time as Saul, Pike and King. I think that was right around the time I took a shine to Critchon as well.
I was afraid to read The Homing because the main plot seems to be about... an adult! So many of my favorite Saul books have been about teen-agers. I was afraid to try something that different.

I think King and Koontz were my favorites for a while. I took a shine to Koontz because he wrote a couple of books on writing fiction that I loved. (I wish they'd reprint them, even if much of the information is out-of-date.) I haven't gotten into the newer stuff. The last couple of Koontzs I read were too preachy.

I keep meaning to read Lumley. I did read one of his very early Lovecraftian tales, and I enjoyed it because the fantasy elements were set apart by a satirical tone. It's called How Kank Thad Returned to Bhur-Esh and is available in the House of Cthulhu collection.

Quote:
Did you ever read Pike's Last Vampire series? (It was originally 6 books, but I believe it was re-released as 2 compiled books recently, due to the huge market for vampire fiction.) I'd also recommend Pike's Season of Passage if you can find it. (Holy crap, it's coming out as an ebook this month! I had no idea! I dunno about $10 for an 18 year old Pike book though... I may hang on to my paperback for a bit yet.)
I bought a couple of the new Pike compilations -- the Last Vampire Ones and Remember Me. Talk about bricks! There's also a new Last Vampire book!
Advert
Old 03-21-2011, 10:52 PM   #6
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well I got my start with V. C. Andrews. Somewhere, I learned that kids who liked V. C. Andrews also liked John Saul. Maybe it's the teens-in-jeopardy concept.
I actually stumbled upon V.C. Andrews because King mentioned her (them?) in a couple books

Quote:
I think King and Koontz were my favorites for a while. I took a shine to Koontz because he wrote a couple of books on writing fiction that I loved. (I wish they'd reprint them, even if much of the information is out-of-date.) I haven't gotten into the newer stuff. The last couple of Koontzs I read were too preachy.

I keep meaning to read Lumley. I did read one of his very early Lovecraftian tales, and I enjoyed it because the fantasy elements were set apart by a satirical tone. It's called How Kank Thad Returned to Bhur-Esh and is available in the House of Cthulhu collection.
I wasn't as big into Koontz... I don't even recall many titles. You should definitely try Lumley's Necroscope series! And since nearly everything I've mentioned thus far as been vampiresque, you may want to try out the newish series by Guillermo Del Toro called Strain. I didn't love it, but it was creepy and really fun. Reminded me a lot of the authors we're tossing about here.

Quote:
I bought a couple of the new Pike compilations -- the Last Vampire Ones and Remember Me. Talk about bricks! There's also a new Last Vampire book!
Ok, do I buy the new one, reread the series, and discover that these books were terribly written? Or do I avoid it and keep my nostalgia? I'm afraid they're going to suck...
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #7
elk886
Enthusiast
elk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: PRS-650, Nook Glo Plus, Fire HDX7
If you are still looking for John Saul recommendations, I remember reading The God Project in high school and enjoying that as well.
elk886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:54 PM   #8
Critteranne
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk886 View Post
If you are still looking for John Saul recommendations, I remember reading The God Project in high school and enjoying that as well.
Thanks! That one looks good, too, so I was considering it. It has been on my wishlist for a while. I guess I should buy it or something...
Old 07-30-2014, 03:55 PM   #9
kwork
Enthusiast
kwork can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkwork can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkwork can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkwork can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkwork can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkwork can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkwork can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkwork can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkwork can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkwork can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkwork can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Another vote for the God Project. I've probably read about 10 of Saul's books, and that and Darkness were probably my two favorites. Off to check out Shadows now. I like how there is almost always some sort of ending after the ending to a Saul book, just when you think things may be happily resolved.
kwork is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
horror, john saul