Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #361
_pietro
Connoisseur
_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse

Device: none
for pdf... in landscape mode when i use zoom to fit horizontally the page shoul be drawn from top... a tap the page is drawn from bottom... another tap gets a page change
_pietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:47 PM   #362
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The double page turn glitch is definitely something to fix in a future update.
Sometimes when turning a page, nothing happens then when turning it again, two pages get turned ...
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2012, 03:32 AM   #363
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I'd bet the double page turn bug would be tough to beat unless they limited the minimum time between page turns... or figured out where the ereader was getting bogged down.

I think what is actually happening is that for some reason the ereader is delayed in responding to the first touch causing the user to assume the initial touch didn't register and to then touch it a second time and cause the double page turn when the ereader catches up. Effectively, the only thing the ereader is doing wrong is delaying it's response to the first touch and the user is doing the rest.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:42 AM   #364
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
You would lose that bet. How long should you wait for page to turn? 10 seconds 1 minute 5 minutes I don't think it matters when I was having the problem. First page turn is stored someplace waiting for for 2nd page turn input to trigger 2 page turns.

Maybe revenge of programmer who loves real books.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #365
eerie
eerie began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo
A way to get a summary of a book on the reader would be pretty sweet. Either downloaded when it is wanted, or sent to the reader with the eBooks file.
eerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2012, 09:48 AM   #366
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@eerie: Are you using calibre to manage books?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:05 AM   #367
piratepanda
Connoisseur
piratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One
Don't know if it was already mentioned but I'd like to have a continous pdf viewing experience for multipage pdfs. If the text is too small, I zoom in and to get to the next page I have to zoom out, get to the next page, zoom in again, it's annoying.
piratepanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #368
mumbletop
mumbletop began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Pixel 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramon77 View Post
- Override CSS for margins, line height and font, most android e-reading apps do so but a dedicated reader as the Kobo Glo DOES NOT! The best option will be to leave the style options already implemented in Kobo (does not change font in "containers" like P or SPAN with a CSS specified font, but changes the BODY specified font) and add a "FORCE" flag that overrides every CSS option for fonts, margins and line height so i can have my font for most text but leave embedded for chapters, for example.
Another vote for this... both for sideloaded ePubs and kepubs. The point of an ereader after all is to remove all obstacles between you and reading a book.
mumbletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #369
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratepanda View Post
Don't know if it was already mentioned but I'd like to have a continous pdf viewing experience for multipage pdfs. If the text is too small, I zoom in and to get to the next page I have to zoom out, get to the next page, zoom in again, it's annoying.
When zoomed in, drag the page all the way to the side. A black strip will appear on the side. Press that and you will go to the next page.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:44 AM   #370
piratepanda
Connoisseur
piratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
When zoomed in, drag the page all the way to the side. A black strip will appear on the side. Press that and you will go to the next page.
When using landscape mode and zoom using you method you have to scroll up to the top each time you get to the next page. Not useful.
piratepanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #371
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratepanda View Post
When using landscape mode and zoom using you method you have to scroll up to the top each time you get to the next page. Not useful.
I didn't say it was perfect But I also think that scrolling to the top of the page is easier than zooming out, going to the next page and then zooming in.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:26 AM   #372
luigizanotti
luigizanotti began at the beginning.

Device: 2x Kobo Glo, Kindle PaperWhite, Sony PRS-T1
Now, now. Apologies if the english is not very shiny: I am italian. I own a kobo Glo and it is a very good device, easily better than the Sony PRS-T1 in many ways, but there are things I dislike or would like.

1) separate images from book in a very hard way. I think there should be a separate ebook reader and image viewer (as is the case in the Sony PRS-T1). This would also mean more image-specific settings. I suppose the software on the Kobo is linux based so it shouldn't be that hard to implement a downgraded version of -example- gthumb.

Beings things as they are, having a lot of books and a lot of images can become a problem.

2) personalisation of standy and shutdown screens. Possibly using user-selected images among the ones stored on the device. I assume the shutdown screen may be impossible to customise, but the standby shouldn't be a real problem.

3) the godforsaken and useless wishlist should be gone and, possibly, replaced with some sort of 'pinned books' feature highlighting books of your choice among the ones on the reader. Which, in a very big library, would be very useful.

4) Editing of Epubs directly on the device. This one I would love since I usually use the kobo for proofreading and going through the notes can be a pain when you have 200 or more. Once I have to work with almost 300 and I really wished to throw the thing out of the window.

5) reduces size of the entries in the list of notes (3 lines per note/highlight? are we serious?) because, as they are now, the feature is unconfortable in a notes-heavy situation.

6) for the sake of eye-candy: instead of the percentage of ebook read, the choice between percentage and a bar.
luigizanotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #373
andromakie
andromakie began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (1st gen)
Kobo Glo wishlist

I bought the Kobo Glo the first week it came out, and immediately had to return it. I bought the original Kobo because I am visually impaired and the font-size adaptability of e-readers mean I can still read. But I have no trouble viewing the book titles on the original Kobo, and I couldn't make them out at all on the Glo. The letters are smaller and less bold. Lots of older and visually impaired people use readers and they won't be able to use the new one until you can adjust the font size in menus and areas other than the books themselves.

Also, I would like a clock to be visible at the top or bottom all the time, not just when you bring up the menu, and also the power indicator. I tend to lose track of time when reading and it would help if I could see at a glance what time it was or how soon Kobo would be uncharged.

The rest (from the little time I played with it) looked great. I will happily buy it again if they fix the menu font sizes.
andromakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #374
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
As far as the clock goes, as I understand it they originally had the clock visible more often, or possibly at all times. However, a constantly updating clock is a pretty big power drain on an e-reader. It forces the screen to re-draw a lot. They had to change it to the current scheme to avoid that.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:40 AM   #375
mstrogoff
mstrogoff began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Translation dictionnaries request

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrogoff View Post
Something VERY useful to read a book in another language than mine should be this : what if the window that appears directly when I select a word is not the "definition dictionnary", but my default translation dictionnary.

I'm french, I've got many english eBooks, and having to go through "definition window", then menu and then choosing "translation dictionnary" makes reading these english books much slower for me...
...and after more english books reading experience, I would add this other dictionnary request to my initial request : could it be possible to have the choice of other (better !) translation dictionnaries - I'm ready to pay for it of course...

Maybe it's not obvious for native english speaking people, but these translation dictionnaries things are very important : easy "foreign langage" readings is a VERY important reason to change for e-reading - and that can be a big market opportunity for Kobo to make it still easier...

Merci d'avance, Kobo people...
mstrogoff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo