Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-21-2010, 06:36 AM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Talking Unboxing iRex 800 and first impressions

First impression: Wow, it's heavy!
To me, that's a good thing, high quality material, no "plasticky" feeling.

More pics and impressions to follow shortly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07588.jpg
Views:	1419
Size:	597.6 KB
ID:	43938   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07590.jpg
Views:	1852
Size:	601.0 KB
ID:	43939  
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:43 AM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

iRex 800 vs. Kindle DX (size)

First impression: iRex 800 seems a perfect compromise of readability and mobility. Very nice!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC07592.jpg
Views:	2026
Size:	679.3 KB
ID:	43940  

Last edited by mgmueller; 01-21-2010 at 07:09 AM.
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 06:48 AM   #3
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Please, put some images with ePub/PDF books with and without zoom.

What about battery duration?

Thanks a lot.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:49 AM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired

iRex 800 vs. Sony 900 (size)

Sony 900 quickly has become one of my favorites.
Well, iRex 800 certainly will be tough competition. So far, I really like it a lot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC07593.jpg
Views:	1589
Size:	641.1 KB
ID:	43941  
Old 01-21-2010, 06:55 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
It really looks awesome. Especially next to that humongous Kindle...

My most important question: can it read non-DRM mobipocket? One site says it does, the other doesn't mention it...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 06:56 AM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired

iRex 800: Sleeve and Stylus

The sleeve is very soft. I'm glad I've ordered the cover in parallel, wouldn't rely on the sleeve for transporting in my bag.

The stylus can't be inserted in the unit itself. Don't like that at all. The stylus for Sony 900, in my opinion, is too light and "flimsy". But at least it's protected in the unit itself and I won't loose it.
Well, hopefully it can be inserted into the cover in a smart way.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC07598.jpg
Views:	1457
Size:	728.4 KB
ID:	43942  
Old 01-21-2010, 07:02 AM   #7
mgmueller
Member Retired

Contrast on iRex 800

Wow (one of the demo books). In my opinion, better than Sony 900.
I'll try to make comparison pictures next to Sony 505, Kindle 2 and others.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC07599.jpg
Views:	1992
Size:	844.8 KB
ID:	43943  
Old 01-21-2010, 07:08 AM   #8
mgmueller
Member Retired

Bootup times

55 seconds for "cold boot".
3 seconds from standby. Of course, I haven't uploaded any books yet, so it may take longer with a fully loaded SD card.

EDIT: "Cold boot" meaning reset for the moment. THere's only standby mode right now, no switch off.

Last edited by mgmueller; 01-28-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:26 AM   #9
mgmueller
Member Retired

Micro SD slot and battery compartment

I've pulled out the Micro SD card a bit, so you can see it.
You have to unscrew the battery compartment, to exchange the Micro SD card. Not ideal, but no biggy I guess. I won't exchange my 8GB card too often (never).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC07602.jpg
Views:	1305
Size:	650.2 KB
ID:	43944  
Old 01-21-2010, 07:36 AM   #10
mgmueller
Member Retired

iRex 800 cover

The cover is not included, I've ordered it separately.
Its mechanics is similar to Sony.
But over all impression clearly is: The cover doesn't have Sony's elegance, although being within the same price range.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC07606.jpg
Views:	1830
Size:	635.8 KB
ID:	43945   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07605.jpg
Views:	1412
Size:	560.7 KB
ID:	43946  
Old 01-21-2010, 07:43 AM   #11
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
55 seconds for "cold boot".
3 seconds from standby. Of course, I haven't uploaded any books yet, so it may take longer with a fully loaded SD card.
How do you put it into standby. That wasn't clear to me from the manual. Also.....thanks for the effort to post pictures and impressions as you get to learn the device. It's very much appreciated.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:47 AM   #12
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Another question. How thick is it? They originally mentioned around .4 inches, but the specs on the shop mention something like .63 inches. I'm curious what the real number is.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:48 AM   #13
mgmueller
Member Retired

First impressions, iRex 800

After 1 hour of usage (interrupted by taking pics):

- I'm very disappointed by the cover. Looks way cheaper than expected.
- I don't like the stylus very much. It's big, but light. And it can't be inserted in the unit itself.
- I like the replaceable battery. But I don't like very much, how to exchange the Micro SD card (within the battery compartment, unscrewing needed).

- I'm impressed by the clarity of the screen (although I'm not surpised. iRex iLiad and iRex 1000S did have great screens as well - not "harmed" by the touchscreen layer).
- I like the measurements, but I like Sony 900 as much.
- I like the flipbar, did love it on iLiad as well. Even prefer it to using the touchscreen for turning pages.
- Have to check the B&N store. But just having it is great.

Meaning: It's a great unit and I remain being a true iRex fan. But quite frankly, I'm not quite sure yet about the price difference to Sony 900. Over all, in my first impression, both units are about even (Sony 900 being more elegant, iRex 800 having better contrast). But the prices differ...

Last edited by mgmueller; 01-21-2010 at 07:54 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:49 AM   #14
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
Another question. How thick is it? They originally mentioned around .4 inches, but the specs on the shop mention something like .63 inches. I'm curious what the real number is.
It's a bit less than 1cm, so 0.4 inches is about right.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:50 AM   #15
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
How do you put it into standby. That wasn't clear to me from the manual. Also.....thanks for the effort to post pictures and impressions as you get to learn the device. It's very much appreciated.
I briefly switch the off-button (less than 1 second) for standby. I hold it (about 3 seconds) for power-off. Just tried the Sony way...

EDIT: You can't turn it off for the moment. I've always put it into standby. Accidentally, I did some resets instead of turning it on which did appear like booting from having turned off.

Last edited by mgmueller; 01-28-2010 at 10:01 AM.

Tags
irex 800