Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2009, 08:51 PM   #1
bluerain
bluerain began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
PRS-600 - Do the Note Taking Capabilities Work for You?

HI everyone,

I'm a grad student, and I'm trying to get my PRS-600 to:

1) export highlighted sections to microsoft word, notepad or anything else. I understand that this doesn't work this way for copyright reasons. Is this true?

2) export handwritten notes to jpeg, or anything else. I need to be able to store this stuff on my PC.

Can I do anything like this?

Does anyone know?

I'm ready to return my PRS-600. If it can't do that, the idea that this product "takes notes" is a fraudulent one.

--blue
bluerain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:45 AM   #2
AlexC
Connoisseur
AlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enough

Device: Apple iPad; iRex iLiad
Handwritten notes can be manually pulled from the database\media\notepads directory of the Reader's main memory. For those that are so inclined, multiple notes can be parsed, plotted, and combined into a single pdf in a few lines of code, e.g., in python or something else. (This is what I've been doing for notes taken at meetings.)

If you want to convert to a raster format, the .note files appear to be in an odd SVG format that doesn't render properly in some viewers. The GIMP, in linux at least, can import and convert them without a problem; you'll just need to manually specify a width/height.
AlexC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2009, 04:57 AM   #3
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexC View Post
Handwritten notes can be manually pulled from the database\media\notepads directory of the Reader's main memory. For those that are so inclined, multiple notes can be parsed, plotted, and combined into a single pdf in a few lines of code, e.g., in python or something else. (This is what I've been doing for notes taken at meetings.)

If you want to convert to a raster format, the .note files appear to be in an odd SVG format that doesn't render properly in some viewers. The GIMP, in linux at least, can import and convert them without a problem; you'll just need to manually specify a width/height.
Life-saver. I had no idea, had looked religiously at the manual but wasn't able to get it. And the pdf trick is quite useful, so thank you for it too!
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
bluerain
bluerain began at the beginning.

Thanks AlexC. I will certainly try this.

I guess there isn't any way to extract highlighted text from the reader, is there?
bluerain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:18 PM   #5
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerain View Post
Thanks AlexC. I will certainly try this.

I guess there isn't any way to extract highlighted text from the reader, is there?
I guess there'd be problems with copying text from DRM ebooks... depending on restrictions. I hope somebody will come up with that too
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2009, 07:23 PM   #6
AlexC
Connoisseur
AlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enough

Device: Apple iPad; iRex iLiad
Sorry, haven't looked into highlighting or text notes.

I did get a question about exporting handwriting to a pdf. I'm not at my normal computer, but the script is fairly straightforward. Here's a simple kludgy example in R that should work. (Can't check at the moment as I don't have my Reader handy.)

Code:
#!/usr/bin/Rscript

# Convert Sony Reader Touch handwritten notes in directory to a multi-page pdf

output.file <- 'output.pdf'
line.width <- 2
line.colour <- 'black'

pdf(file=output.file, width=8.5, height=11)
files <- list.files(pattern='.note')
rot <- matrix(c(1, 0, 0, -1), ncol=2, byrow=TRUE)
for(file in files){
    par(mar=c(0, 0, 0, 0))
    plot(NULL, xlim=c(0, 600), ylim=c(-710, 0), type='n', axes=FALSE, xlab='', ylab='')
    file <- readLines(file)
    for(line in file){
        if(grepl('<xs1:polyline points=', line)){
            coords <- strsplit(strsplit(line, '\"')[[1]][2], ' ')[[1]]
            coords <- matrix(as.numeric(unlist(lapply(coords, strsplit, ','))), ncol=2, byrow=TRUE) %*% rot
            lines(coords, lwd=line.width, col=line.colour)
        }
    }
}
dev.off()
AlexC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:25 AM   #7
cedricp
Research User
cedricp began at the beginning.

Hi, I've posted a small python script that can export the hand written pdf annotation to a jarnal package (which can then be used to create a full pdf). See here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...820#post628820

Best,
cedricp is offline   Reply With Quote