Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 01-30-2009, 08:55 AM   #1
billbirchall
Enthusiast
billbirchall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.billbirchall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.billbirchall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.billbirchall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony E-Reader
Adobe Digital Editions query

I do not know whether the problem is me, or the software: Adobe Digital Editions. I have recently paid for and downloaded, No Time to Say Goodbye - Linwood Barclay. It was in pdf format and I had to use Adobe D E to download it to my Sony PRS 505. After downloading I used the font key to enlarge the print.

Two issues arise:-
1) The format is poor, as pages end half way up a page and sometimes in mid-sentence. The authors name is irritatingly,liberally sprinkled, at the top or bottom of many pages.

2) When changing the font size you do not change the numerical number of pages just the number of page turns. There are just more pages with the same number.

Perfection would be, to be able to read the ebook as you would a normal paper book, with proper endings to chapters and no excessive views of the name of the author. Is this obtainable and I am just not experiencing it for some reason, or is it with the current plethora of formats, a pipe-dream? If I can change any of what I have described, can someone let me know how to do it?
billbirchall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:28 AM   #2
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This sounds like some of the familiar problems with re-rendering PDF files for screens that do not match them. Assuming the PDF is tagged, you'd think DE would do better. You might want to mention this to the publisher, they may not be aware, or if they are, maybe they can make some recommendations as to what you can do to get a better experience out of the file.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2009, 10:26 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbirchall View Post
I do not know whether the problem is me, or the software: Adobe Digital Editions. I have recently paid for and downloaded, No Time to Say Goodbye - Linwood Barclay. It was in pdf format and I had to use Adobe D E to download it to my Sony PRS 505. After downloading I used the font key to enlarge the print.

1) The format is poor, as pages end half way up a page and sometimes in mid-sentence. The authors name is irritatingly,liberally sprinkled, at the top or bottom of many pages.

2) When changing the font size you do not change the numerical number of pages just the number of page turns. There are just more pages with the same number.

Perfection would be, to be able to read the ebook as you would a normal paper book, with proper endings to chapters and no excessive views of the name of the author. Is this obtainable and I am just not experiencing it for some reason, or is it with the current plethora of formats, a pipe-dream? If I can change any of what I have described, can someone let me know how to do it?
I tried a few PDF's on my 505 when the new firmware came out and all of them displayed just like you describe.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:40 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
What you are describing is normal for A4/letter sized PDFs on the PRS-505. Adobe Digital Editions only reflows within each individual page. So the same headers and footers and page breaks are there as in the original, and you can often get partial screens at the end of a page. This is a design choice by Adobe, they did not have to implement reflow this way. However, since the ebook has DRM you have no choice but to use ADE to display it.

One work around is to buy Secure Adobe ePub instead when it is available. However, not all publishers even tell you whether an Adobe ebook is PDF or ePub.

If you are willing to strip DRM, another option is to buy MS Reader (LIT) or MOBI or eReader ebooks. Strip the DRM and then use Calibre to convert to LRF or ePub. Note that stripping DRM, even for personal use on ebooks you bought, is thought to be illegal in some countries. All three of these formats are intrinsically reflowable. LIT is the closest to ePub, but requires a Windows PC to download.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:07 AM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:

Ah the joy of PDF.

1. The "page" doesn't end in the middle the SCREEN ends in the middle. Basically one PDF "page" reflowed might be a page and a half. Also, headers and footers on the PDF "page" will display inline wherever they are.

2. Same issues. It is just showing the PDF "page" numbers... it is not interpolating them to "screen" numbers.

This is why most prefer ePub or LRF on the Sony. You can buy LIT or Mobipocket format if ePub isn't available and you will get much better results. Also, avoiding Adobe secure format since the DRM can not be removed.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2009, 05:59 PM   #6
Ordinaryuser
Enthusiast
Ordinaryuser doesn't litterOrdinaryuser doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Touch, Nook Reader
Quote:

I have found the same issues, however, the opportunity for reading a free library book seems to outweigh the disadvantages. Hard to beat the price.
Ordinaryuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:34 PM   #7
billbirchall
Enthusiast
billbirchall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.billbirchall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.billbirchall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.billbirchall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony E-Reader
Hi Guys
Thanks for your input, I am relieved to hear that it is a recognised issue and not something due to me. I agree that using ePub would be a better choice, but you do not always get one.

Ordinaryuser, Your comment is obviously correct, but I should point out, that I have paid for my book, and therefore my expectations are higher.
billbirchall is offline   Reply With Quote