Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
chippychipchap
chippychipchap began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2 (B002)
Weird 3rd USB state as "Unkown Device"

This really got long, a short version below the line:

Long:
My Kindle 2 (B002) sat in a drawer for a couple of years. Since at the time I bought it I couldn't figure out how to use it "outside" the amazon universe. I came across here again by coincidence and saw that much has changed. So I thought I'll give it a shot. (I still regret I couldn't wait for the international edition, living in Europe, or wifi, well whatever)

The last time I used it the biggest thing you could do was some screensaver modding by changing the images. I did that and -most probably- had some preinstalled mods for that. (I tell this to assure you that the "initial state" is unknown)

So I started with a stuck system somehow my PC wouldn't recognise it at all. I did a Factory reset via settings menu.

So the most interesting thing to start with was to have a Kindlet Launcher. I went for KUAL with the instructions from this Thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=203326
Jailbreak success, install Keys no error, But KUAL wouldn't start. I dumped it and tried something else.

I've reset to factory, then I tried the Liberator. It did work, but the complexity of my PDF files still seemed too complex for the Kindle to handle. Especially reflowing, so that I can get readable text seems to be too much. It got stuck somewhere, I tried to reset the kindle, it didn't. I removed the grey cap on the backside (I was about to open it up completely to get the battery out). That moment it restarted.

So I factory resetted it again.
This time aiming for USB Networking. After trying a couple of things, like Jesse Vincents original Method ( with "`usbQa" ). I went and Jailbroke it again, and installed the kindle-usbnetwork-0.49.N.zip . It did not work right away, typing in ";un" does not do a thing, the longer ";debugOn" "`usbNetwork" ";debugOff" also did not do anything. I went ahead (without looking in the config file) and did use the "auto" file to start USB network at the beginning. Dumb as I am, I did not notice that the IP adress was set to 192.168.2.xx So I could not communicate with the kindle (I assumed it was set to 192.168.44.xx) and, since it is a Kindle 2 without the exec command in the debug menu, also could not change back to mass storage, I did a factory reset once again.
The rest of the story is in the short version.
So after a couple of Factory resets with a uncertain state to begin with, I now have a kindle that will not go to network mode when I use the debug menu. Instead, when I go through the ";debugOn" "`usbNetwork" ";debugOff" procedure the kindle shows up as an "Unknown Device" with the VID and PID set to 0000:0000 . To get Networking mode, i need set to auto mode and reboot. I can connect to the kindle (now that I have looked up the new IP adress in the settings) and remove the auto file and reboot to get back out of the Networking mode. But to enter the USB-Mass-storage I need to type in the debug procedure again on the kindle, else I land in that Unknown Device mode.

What is wrong with my Kindle ?
May it be that some antique mod is interfering ? (If so how do I rid it ?)
Software version on Kindle is 2.3.3 (should I update ?)
chippychipchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by chippychipchap View Post
This really got long, a short version below the line:

Long:
My Kindle 2 (B002) sat in a drawer for a couple of years. Since at the time I bought it I couldn't figure out how to use it "outside" the amazon universe. I came across here again by coincidence and saw that much has changed. So I thought I'll give it a shot. (I still regret I couldn't wait for the international edition, living in Europe, or wifi, well whatever)

The last time I used it the biggest thing you could do was some screensaver modding by changing the images. I did that and -most probably- had some preinstalled mods for that. (I tell this to assure you that the "initial state" is unknown)

So I started with a stuck system somehow my PC wouldn't recognise it at all. I did a Factory reset via settings menu.

So the most interesting thing to start with was to have a Kindlet Launcher. I went for KUAL with the instructions from this Thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=203326
Jailbreak success, install Keys no error, But KUAL wouldn't start. I dumped it and tried something else.

I've reset to factory, then I tried the Liberator. It did work, but the complexity of my PDF files still seemed too complex for the Kindle to handle. Especially reflowing, so that I can get readable text seems to be too much. It got stuck somewhere, I tried to reset the kindle, it didn't. I removed the grey cap on the backside (I was about to open it up completely to get the battery out). That moment it restarted.

So I factory resetted it again.
This time aiming for USB Networking. After trying a couple of things, like Jesse Vincents original Method ( with "`usbQa" ). I went and Jailbroke it again, and installed the kindle-usbnetwork-0.49.N.zip . It did not work right away, typing in ";un" does not do a thing, the longer ";debugOn" "`usbNetwork" ";debugOff" also did not do anything. I went ahead (without looking in the config file) and did use the "auto" file to start USB network at the beginning. Dumb as I am, I did not notice that the IP adress was set to 192.168.2.xx So I could not communicate with the kindle (I assumed it was set to 192.168.44.xx) and, since it is a Kindle 2 without the exec command in the debug menu, also could not change back to mass storage, I did a factory reset once again.
The rest of the story is in the short version.
So after a couple of Factory resets with a uncertain state to begin with, I now have a kindle that will not go to network mode when I use the debug menu. Instead, when I go through the ";debugOn" "`usbNetwork" ";debugOff" procedure the kindle shows up as an "Unknown Device" with the VID and PID set to 0000:0000 . To get Networking mode, i need set to auto mode and reboot. I can connect to the kindle (now that I have looked up the new IP adress in the settings) and remove the auto file and reboot to get back out of the Networking mode. But to enter the USB-Mass-storage I need to type in the debug procedure again on the kindle, else I land in that Unknown Device mode.

You could try an update - -
But it might well fail if there are any modified files that are checked.
The Amazon 2.5.8 update is an 'incremental' one.
I do not recall if we ever had a 'complete' recovery image for the B002 model (check the original debricking thread).

The KUAL failure sounds as if you had not installed **ALL** of the prerequisites.

The being stuck in an "unknown" mode is beyond my experience, one of the 'old timers' here will have to answer that one.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Best guess: you have very old stuff messing with the private usbNetwork command, which makes sense since you mentioned the usbQa command. It also fits nicely with the auto/at boot stuff working properly.

(A factory reset doesn't actually reset much, so you probably still have a bunch of stuff in there).

FWIW, if you get KUAL running, the USBNet switch should work from there. (I have it running fine on my k2 here, and nothing from that time period should mess with Kindlets, so it should work, if it doesn't, we need more details on how it fails).

Or you can try to call /mnt/us/usbnet/bin/usbnetwork over SSH, although it might complain about being plugged in.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-13-2013 at 09:43 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, wait, 2.3... Collections appeared in 2.5, so that's also probably when the json stuff was first introduced, so the Kindlet jailbreak might indeed require >= 2.5...

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-14-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:27 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Or you can try to call /mnt/us/usbnet/bin/usbnetwork over SSH, although it might complain about being plugged in.
Now that is a thought - -
Set a cron job to run that for a few minutes in the future, then unplug cable and wait.

Bag-Of-Tricks++
Advert
Old 08-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #6
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Oh, wait 2.3. Collections appeared in 2.5, so that's also probably when the json stuff was first introduced, so the Kindlet jailbreak might indeed require >= 2.5...
I thought that whispersync used json? Or was it XML?
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@aditya3098: Hmm, good point. My oldest full backup is of 2.5.6, so I'll have to dig up some 2.5 update files to check...

EDIT: Yup, you're right, it's been here forever. What wasn't, though, was Kindlet support. That came in build 472900057 (2.5?), and 1.2 (which is what we use) came in 550650009 (2.5.7).

@chippychipchap: What's the build number of 2.3.3 (shown at the bottom of the Settings page)?

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-16-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #8
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
@aditya3098: Hmm, good point. My oldest full backup is of 2.5.6, so I'll have to dig up some 2.5 update files to check...

EDIT: Yup, you're right, it's been here forever. What wasn't, though, was Kindlet support. That came in build 472900057 (2.3.x or 2.5?), and 1.2 (which is what we use) came in 550650009 (2.5.7).

@chippychipchap: What's the build number of 2.3.3 (shown at the bottom of the Settings page)?
Kindlet Support? Then how did a .azw2 file even show up on the homescreen?

EDIT: Or do you mean Kindlet Support for JSON?
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
PS:
This is not a "Weird 3rd State" -
It is normal operation under certain conditions -
For a normal kindle - most often noticed during "low battery" conditions.

It is very possible that the battery of this old machine no longer has enough storage capacity for the system to switch out of the "low battery" state.

The demo kindles also use this state.

Last edited by knc1; 08-15-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@aditya3098: No, I did mean basic Kindlet support, so I thought of that, too. And I have no idea, which is why I'd like to know the exact build number of the OP .
Old 08-16-2013, 02:34 AM   #11
chippychipchap
chippychipchap began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2 (B002)
Quote:
The KUAL failure sounds as if you had not installed **ALL** of the prerequisites.
Come on, it's like 3 .bin files that are all installed in the same way. I mean, if you manage to install one you'll most probably be able to do all of them ?!? I mean, are there really people that are willing to mess around in their system, but are inable to do the same really simple procedure three times ?

( Well, OK, on a second thought; dis is tha interwebs. So, yeah there might be people that are that dumb.. )

Quote:
It says 2.3.3 (431100003) in here. I can remeber updating at least once to get basic pdf support. (the kindle at that time came with NO pdf support at all) I don't know what was installed before. I do remember though that the update did break root access somehow, that was the point where the kindle got uninteresting for me.

Quote:
Kindlet Support? Then how did a .azw2 file even show up on the homescreen?
Actually the .azw2 file for KUAL did not show up at all. It was simply ignored. Showing only the users manual and the dictionary.

Quote:
It is normal operation under certain conditions - For a normal kindle - most often noticed during "low battery" conditions.

It is very possible that the battery of this old machine no longer has enough storage capacity for the system to switch out of the "low battery" state.
Well as I mentioned, the Kindle sat in a drawer most of the time. But I charged it every now and then. It did get maybe 5-7 battery cycles in it's lifetime. So I think it's battery would rather qualify as brand new. I.E. I charged it full before I started experimenting the other day, and now, after again 2-3 days in a drawer, in standby (not powered off completely), it does not even show a tiny line down, still maxed out.

@NiLuJe & aditya3098:
Are you interested in the Firmware somehow, although it was altered ? Should I make a backup of it ?
Otherwise I would just go ahead and make an update to the newest available, I guess kindlet support would be enabled, and as it seems I don't have to fear breaking the Jailbreak support, since like all of them are Jailbroken. (I wouldn't go for the newest FW on a phone, since most of the time support for something will fail )
chippychipchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:29 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Well as I mentioned, the Kindle sat in a drawer most of the time. But I charged it every now and then. It did get maybe 5-7 battery cycles in it's lifetime. So I think it's battery would rather qualify as brand new. I.E. I charged it full before I started experimenting the other day, and now, after again 2-3 days in a drawer, in standby (not powered off completely), it does not even show a tiny line down, still maxed out.
It is a Li-Ion battery.

1) Terminal voltage does not indicate storage capacity.
(The little icon indicates terminal voltage.)

2) Li-Ion 'ages' - even un-used, in a drawer.
(In fact, it 'ages' faster that way, once it self-discharges too deeply.)

3) The battery management chip, battery, and firmware have a 'battery calibration' function that needs to run often enough to be reset to the changing **storage capacity** of the battery.
(The use-case of the battery you describe is not acquitted to maintain the battery calibration.)
Old 08-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@knc1: FWIW, my good old k2i holds charge much, much, much better than any of my newer devices, and it's the one seeing the most 'cupboard time' .

@chippychipchap: Ha! Thanks, that confirms what aditya & I though. It's too old to handle Kindlets, so, no KUAL, nothing you can do about it besides updating .

So, I'd say try to update it to 2.5.8, and check the logs (;dumpMessages in the searchbar) afterwards if it fails to pinpoint the offending files.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
@knc1: FWIW, my good old k2i holds charge much, much, much better than any of my newer devices, and it's the one seeing the most 'cupboard time' .
My observation also.
The same with the DX and DXG (large screen K2).

Also noticed - -

All of my past purchases of used/broken Kindles are in a stack, all feeding on wall chargers (I also bought couple of 'lots' of wall chargers) -

So I can see the indicator lights on the end of all the devices nursing on the power strips.

The K2's seem to go through a much longer, more complete, battery calibration.
You can see them switching (by led color) for "full" to "charging" at increasingly slower intervals (a longer time between changes).

After over 5 days on the charger, all but one of them has stopped cycling - and from the time taken for that one to cycle, it should also be finished in another day or two.

Some of the deeply discharge K4's did the same, but they all gave up on the calibration cycles after one or two day's time.

The K5's - ah, those things (both models) - they cycle a few times and give up in less than a day.

The DX and DXG ? ? ?
Who knows - they always claim "I am still full".
Built like a rock, those things are.