Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #31
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by odiakkoh View Post
What warning?
The perils about buying used devices.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #32
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Lesson learned .... Never again will I buy Used!
A better lesson would be to do your research and ask questions before getting hysterical. While I can understand why you thought you bought a paper-weight (since the solutions to these problems aren't exactly clear), it's always best to avoid jumping to conclusions.
Advert
Old 09-04-2012, 02:23 AM   #33
Wald07
Audiophile
Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexux7 2nd Gen & Kobo Touch
Can we give the OP a break?
She freely admits under her username "Non-Techy".

What is obvious to someone tech-savy, can seem insurmountable to someone who isn't.

I believe, the only stupid question is the one you never asked.

Peace.
Wald07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:27 AM   #34
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wald07 View Post
What is obvious to someone tech-savy, can seem insurmountable to someone who isn't.

Peace.
True. It wasn't too much for me to post the link.... what I found fairly obvious, she didn't.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:34 AM   #35
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:

Peace.
Well said
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2012, 02:35 AM   #36
Wald07
Audiophile
Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And you were kind to offer your assistance and post the link. Very helpful and sweet.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:43 AM   #37
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
The details for a hard reset are quite simply in the online manual for goodness sake ......

Why on earth didn't the contributor think to look it up himself ?
Or is it the "I don't need a manual, I never use them, I always work it out myself ......" syndrome ?

I have a family member that is of this persuasion, and it drives me crazy - it's like looking at the manual is an old-fashioned approach to getting a gizmo to work, and a weakness, intead of a sensible way to acquaint yourself with the thing.

And, of course, ocassionally provide answers to any problems which may crop up ....
I did try to follow the direction BUT I have Arthritis in my hands & a cripled hand... She the lady at Sony told me you have to HOLD the Bottons Firmly down thru the whole process! Once she told me that I got my son to do it LOL Still took him 2 times hehehe To me thats crazy!

One of the things I was Very Happy about was the Guide she deleted was back on the T1... I spent 3 Hours reading & playing with it & finding other things I couldnt do cause of her information on it! 1...No Sony Reader Store! 2...Neither of my Libraries would connect to it! BTW I Anal about READING ALL Directions & following them to a T. Does not mean they work the way I told they should! Esp where computers are conserned!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:49 AM   #38
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
Found the link for hard reset!

Here it is!

The press, release, press, were quite tricky, but my husband did it and it worked.
Yes its Very tricky! Must hold Constant Firm presure & release the one while holding the other firmly thru the Whole thing! I told the sony rep they need to add that to the instructions!
Old 09-04-2012, 02:56 AM   #39
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Quote:

Peace.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:09 AM   #40
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

I didnt need to find the directions I Had them! They just wasnt working for me.

You jump me How about the person that Sold it to me saying well I didnt like it so I never used it! SHE told me she Never reg it! She still sending me emails Blaming Sony for not de-reg it! No Since she had me stewing for weeks I Not telling her its been fixed!

I Trusted her! So as I said Buyers Be Very Careful when buying used! Another thing IF she gave me proof she got it at Best Buy I was told at our local BB they would have been more than happy to do the reset for FREE! But they wanted to charge me $30 to do it!
Old 09-04-2012, 03:16 AM   #41
Wald07
Audiophile

Quote:
...........she got it at Best Buy I was told at our local BB they would have been more than happy to do the reset for FREE! But they wanted to charge me $30 to do it!
That's a lot of money!
Old 09-04-2012, 04:38 AM   #42
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Actually I think it Does Belong on Flea Market as LOTs of members buy Used! Serve as a warning to others!
The flea market section is strictly for ads for the buying and selling of ebook readers and accessories. As this is a discussion, it does not fit.

I dunno, I guess because I've bought used often, and now work for a company handling used products, I know that a factory reset should be the first thing done. Really any device that stores data, or allows custom settings can be reset, and they build in factory reset processes because vast majority of the time a reset will fix the problems being encountered (misconfiguration or corruption of configuration often being the culprit). No need for hysterics, and going "never buy used!", but instead just remain calm and try to find a solution. If you do not get a manual with the device you bought used, either on it or in a printed copy, then goto the manufacturer's website where it nearly always is available for download. Once you have that, it should have instructions on how to reset it.

It took me less than 30 seconds to search via google for a manual for the PRS-T1, then look up how to restore the reader to default. It took even less time if I tried searching for "PRS-t1 factory reset" (the steps are included below for anyone who is curious). Even still, from the looks of things while glancing at the manual, you'd probably not even needed to done a factory reset in order to fix your issue. The manual recommends another method. That way, you goto settings, and in a subsection for Initialization is an option for Restore Defaults. Either way, you had options that did not require having the old owner do anything, spending money, or doing anything complex. Despite being a non-techie, these are all things you can find on your own.

Spoiler:
Follow these steps to perform a hard reset on the Reader™ Wi-Fi® device:
1. With the Reader Wi-Fi on, on the bottom of the device, press and hold the power button until the Device Shutdown screen appears.
2. In the Device Shutdown screen, press Yes .
3. Press the power button again to turn the Reader Wi-Fi back on.
4. While the screen displays opening book..... , simultaneously press and hold down the Page Turn (Next) and Back buttons.
5. Allow the Home screen to fully load (Loading... should no longer flash in the top left corner of your screen) and then do the following button sequence while still holding down the Page Turn (Next) and Back buttons:
Release - Press - Release the Back button only and then Release the Page Turn (Next) button.
6. In the Would you like to execute Factory Initialize screen, press Yes .
7. Press the power button again to turn on the Reader Wi-Fi. The Reader Wi-Fi will be set to factory settings.

Oh, also, Katie, could you please not have each and every reply be in a new post. You can have one post quote and respond to multiple people.

Quote:
That's a lot of money!
Most places charge a flat fee per hour, and charge based on an estimate of how long it will take, usually minimum one hour. Auto repair shops work under similar premises. $30 isn't bad when you think of it that way.

Last edited by Hellmark; 09-04-2012 at 04:41 AM.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:38 AM   #43
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I haven't been down to the Flea Market in awhile but isn't there already ample warning about being careful about buying used devices and to carefully scrutinize sellers?

As for the OP, I'm glad you got your device working but I have to think your results would have been less stressful if you would have first asked the question of how to get it unregistered and then re-registered to you rather than ranty rant rant.

But whatever, all in the past now. Enjoy your new device.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #44
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
The OP made a blanket statement about buying used, and did not bother to ask a question. So I will stand by my assertion. After all, you don't have to be a techie to ask questions.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #45
Wald07
Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
The OP made a blanket statement about buying used, and did not bother to ask a question. So I will stand by my assertion. After all, you don't have to be a techie to ask questions.
Stand where you please, BWinmill! There's lots of space.

However, between the lines, I think the OP really was asking a question, how to remedy her problem paperweight...found answers & met with success. Happy ending.

Maybe Katie1 will consider buying used again, after successfully registering her Sony, with some help from fellow MR-ers

We frequently buy used, as I originally stated. On that matter, I did politely, and delicately, disagree with the OP.

Additionally, everyone @ MR should feel comfortable posting, without fear of being made fun of, or criticized.

Some posters, I felt, were unnecessarily rough on the OP. No need for that.