Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-07-2014, 09:39 PM   #1
jrabbit12
jrabbit12 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question Help with long term access and content preservation

Hello,
I am a library graduate student beginning research for an Archives and Media course. I wanted to jump into ebooks but didn't anticipate all the file formats in addition to devices! I'm wondering what the discussion in the community is about the preservation of straight-to-epublised works and how migration between devices and file formats is being anticipated.

Anything information or personal opinions will be helpful/appreciated.

Thanks!
jrabbit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:47 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why do you say "all the formats"? There are only two formats that matter: Kindle (by far the largest number of sales) and ePub, and converting between these is trivial. I don't really see where the problem lies.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2014, 02:49 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why do you say "all the formats"? There are only two formats that matter: Kindle (by far the largest number of sales) and ePub.
I'd add PDF for some non-fiction and academic texts.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:36 AM   #4
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
... And then you archive them as you would any other file. I use an external hard drive and I periodically burn a CD. And I have some informal copies of recent purchases on SD cards.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:44 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I'd add PDF for some non-fiction and academic texts.
If we're talking about electronic documents in general, then yes, PDF is important. As you say, it's the standard format for academic papers, etc.
Advert
Old 10-08-2014, 03:48 AM   #6
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit12 View Post
Hello,
I am a library graduate student beginning research for an Archives and Media course. I wanted to jump into ebooks but didn't anticipate all the file formats in addition to devices! I'm wondering what the discussion in the community is about the preservation of straight-to-epublised works and how migration between devices and file formats is being anticipated.

Thanks!
RE: about the preservation of straight-to-epublised works

Not long ago, there was a discussion within one of the MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions > threads about which ebook format would last longest. I think the consensus was: format doesn't matter. What does matter is that one backs up his/her files, redundantly, and maintains the software/apps/devices necessary to read or convert files that eventually become obsolete. Also discussed was file size: some files are more compact than others. Tour through the threads I've indicated above, and I think you'll find the one I'm talking about fairly easily.

RE: about [...] how migration between devices and file formats is being anticipated.

The above-mentioned discussion addresses means of sharing files among different platforms, cites ebook conversion tools such as calibre, and alludes to DRM-stripping methods. I suggest you look for the threads on Mobileread that discuss calibre as well as find discussions, at other sites, that discuss DRM-stripping (the specifics of which may not be discussed at Mobileread).

Last edited by Froide; 10-08-2014 at 03:55 AM.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:01 AM   #7
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I am surprised that no one has mentioned DRM; I think we all assume that any DRM is removed first before attempting to "preserve" an ebook, i.e. it is not safe to assume you will always be able to read a DRM encrypted ebook.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:04 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
I am surprised that no one has mentioned DRM; I think we all assume that any DRM is removed first before attempting to "preserve" an ebook
Of course we do, yes. All bets are off when DRM enters the equation.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:18 AM   #9
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
I am surprised that no one has mentioned DRM; I think we all assume that any DRM is removed first before attempting to "preserve" an ebook, i.e. it is not safe to assume you will always be able to read a DRM encrypted ebook.
I did mention DRM in the second part of my post, immediately above yours, in which I referred the OP to MR threads that discuss that topic in more detail and to other forums to read discussions about the how-to's.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:11 AM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Yep, DRM is part of the discussion, but we can't discuss it in detail here at MR. For that you have to Google Apprentice Alf as it's a rule that the subject can't be discussed in any detail here at MR.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:20 PM   #11
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit12 View Post
Hello,

Thanks!
To get up to speed on digital preservation from a library point of view, you might want to read up on the LOCKSS (Lots of Copies Keep Stuff Safe) project at Stanford.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LOCKSS

http://www.lockss.org/
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:26 PM   #12
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
... And then you archive them as you would any other file. I use an external hard drive and I periodically burn a CD. And I have some informal copies of recent purchases on SD cards.
Making sure that your copies of your books don't disappear before you do is a different problem than preventing a book from disappearing completely.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:29 PM   #13
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why do you say "all the formats"? There are only two formats that matter: Kindle (by far the largest number of sales) and ePub, and converting between these is trivial. I don't really see where the problem lies.
Those "trivial" conversions are not necessarily lossless, especially with respect to images.

Tags
access, archive, ebook, format, preservation