Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-14-2011, 07:51 AM   #31
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350,Sony PRS-950,Pocketbook 360+,B&N Nook Simple Touch Reader
They all have DRM as they are bought from Amazon.
Japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:52 AM   #32
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, the file name is actually the shortest of the five I've purchased.
Advert
Old 07-14-2011, 08:05 AM   #33
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japes View Post
They all have DRM as they are bought from Amazon.
Not all amazon books have DRM. Look down in the description for

Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited

If you see that then there is no DRM. Granted I have not seen to many books that have have this. I only bought (paid) for one book with that description and it didn't have DRM.
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:13 AM   #34
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japes View Post
I've bought five of these now, and, all have converted beautifully to epub, except for one...The Complete Works of Charles Dickens...Anyone had any trouble with this? Calibre simply says it can't convert.
I believe that is the largest book in the Delphi collection (60 MB) (lots of pictures). Try using Calibre in debug mode at a command prompt rather than the GUI - you can find the necessary commands in the Calibre Help pages. This will also show you the reason why the process is failing.

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 07-14-2011 at 09:03 AM.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:11 PM   #35
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The Mark Twain collection is twice as big.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2011, 01:17 PM   #36
Japes
Addict

The Mark Twain collection is one of the ones that I bought and was able to convert without a hiccup.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:14 PM   #37
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I still can't add the Dickens collection to Calibre. Also after converting to epub, the Table of Contents doesn't work. It's fine in mobi though.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:41 PM   #38
Japes
Addict

Oh, my God, that Dickens Collection is an absolute NIGHTMARE. How were you finally able to convert to Epub? I can't do it with Calibre.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:05 PM   #39
BenG
Home Guard

I haven't been able to even add it to the Calibre Library.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:36 PM   #40
Japes
Addict

But you said that you were able to convert it to epub. YOu said, and I quote "after converting to epub, the Table of Contents doesn't work". So, if you were not able to add it to Calibre, how were you able to convert it to epub?
Old 07-17-2011, 11:11 PM   #41
BenG
Home Guard

Sorry for being unclear. I also bought a few other collections and I was refering to converting Delphi books in general. None of the epubs created in Calibre have TOCs.
But the Dickens collection hangs up when I try to add it to Calibre.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:41 PM   #42
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Amazon UK link HERE for those interested souls.

£2.14 per collection
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:34 AM   #43
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Sorry for being unclear. I also bought a few other collections and I was refering to converting Delphi books in general. None of the epubs created in Calibre have TOCs.
Can I ask if I may whether you have let their customer service know? They do seem to respond, and it might influence them to publish in ePub.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:00 AM   #44
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Have you tried running Calibre in command line mode and in debug mode?
{calibredb add -d} the log will give information as to why calibre is hanging.

Running Calibre's GUI and trying to add huge volumes can overwhelm your PC's resources - I closed all applications first (to free up memory & processor) and then used the above command to get the books into calibre.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:31 AM   #45
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
Great news! Delphi Classics now has a new website, and you can now buy Kindle-format books directly from Delphi Classics. Instead of $2.99 for most books, they are now priced at $1.99 or less, with a handful of titles currently on sale for $1.49. I've posted a new thread in the "Deals, Freebies and Resources" area with more details, including a code good for 20% off this weekend (weekend of 22 July 2011) only.

I now have the complete collection of all titles currently available from Delphi Classics, and will certainly purchase additional titles when the second series of titles is released.

Please note that books are available only in the Kindle format, but the website does indicate that DRM-free EPUB versions are coming soon.

Enjoy!
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote