Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-02-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
Alberto Franches
Alberto Franches began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3GS
Device Detection doom

I have installed calibre 0.6.55 to my computer, which runs Windows XP Professional, so that I can use calibre to transfer ebooks to my new iPHone 3GS. I want to get most ebooks by downloading to my computer and copying over using the USB cable, not by downloading direct to the iPhone.

Unfortunately, calibre recognizes USB ports while being used by USB keys but does not detect when those same ports have my iPhone or Blackberry attached to them. When I plug the iPhone in Picasa can tell, iTunes can tell, but calibre doesn't have a clue.

I tried repairing calibre, reinstalling it, changing my firewall settings to expressly allow calibre, changing the setting from iPhone to default, hooking up the devices after starting calibre, hooking up after starting calibre, and restarting my computer. None of it makes any difference: so far as calibre is concerned no device is connected.

Yours in frustration,

Alberto
Alberto Franches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...-iphone-itouch
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
Alberto Franches

I have looked at that part of the user manual and found it somewhat technical. No doubt I could find out my IP address and go through the steps but they seem to be oriented to transferring data wirelessly. For me the big attraction of calibre was to be able to connect and transfer between computer and iPhone using the USB port and a cable.

By the way, I checked and my iTunes is using the latest software and tells me that my iPhone 3GS is using the latest software. The iPhone in its settings tells me that it is using version 3.1.3.

All the best,

Alberto Franchese
Old 06-04-2010, 01:09 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Apple do not allow third party programs to transfer books over USB in the current iPhone OS releases. That is why you will find that all the current eBook apps use Wireless transfer.

This restriction is partly lifted on OS3.2 (as used on the iPad) and will also apply to OS4 when it is ready for the iPhone. With those releases the 0.7 version of Calibre will be able to interact directly across the USB link with iBooks and with Stanza making transfers much easier for those without WiFi links.

Having said that, once you get the wireless link working it is much more convenient than using iTunes as it can also be used over 3G (i.e. when you are away from home). This means you can download ebooks when you want them rather than having to pre-load them all in advance.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
Alberto Franches

Thanks to itimpi

Dear itimpi,

Thank you. That seems likely as a source of the problem, though it does not explain why calibre couldn't detect my old Blackberry either. I suppose it's an analogous problem, or an interconnected problem given that the old Blackberry's sim card is now in the iPhone.

I'll see how things go once the OS4 is available and installed.

All the best,

Alberto Franchese
Advert
Old 06-24-2010, 05:17 PM   #6
Alberto Franches

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Apple do not allow third party programs to transfer books over USB in the current iPhone OS releases. That is why you will find that all the current eBook apps use Wireless transfer.

This restriction is partly lifted on OS3.2 (as used on the iPad) and will also apply to OS4 when it is ready for the iPhone. With those releases the 0.7 version of Calibre will be able to interact directly across the USB link with iBooks and with Stanza making transfers much easier for those without WiFi links.

Having said that, once you get the wireless link working it is much more convenient than using iTunes as it can also be used over 3G (i.e. when you are away from home). This means you can download ebooks when you want them rather than having to pre-load them all in advance.
I now have calibre 0.7.4, iPhone OS 4, and iPhone's iBooks app, and none of it seems to be helping at all.

All the best,

Alberto Franchese
Old 06-24-2010, 05:38 PM   #7
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The next release of calibre (0.7.5) will recognize your iPhone and transfer books through iTunes via USB to iBooks on your iPhone. This of course requires you to install iBooks on your iPhone. This wasn't possible until iBooks 1.1 was released earlier this week. 0.7.5 is due for release sometime this weekend.

Review the thread 'Calibre + iPad: Start here' to become familiar with how it all works.

The Stanza + calibre content server solution has worked for quite some time now.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 06-24-2010 at 05:52 PM.
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre device detection, calibre install, calibre install fail