Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-07-2009, 06:49 AM   #76
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
You can buy US iTunes gift certificates (I bought them from a commercial provider, paid US 52.41 for US$ 50 face value), then you can download the Kindle app. And you also get your music much cheaper then in other countries, besides many things are only offered at US itunes.
I know, I know, I do it. I was always trying to get info (my iPhone has already some books).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:54 AM   #77
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've pre-ordered one. Total cost to the UK is $387.85 (includes $26.97 shipping and $51.89 import fees deposit).

It will be interesting to see how well it works when it gets here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2009, 06:59 AM   #78
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by scroll1 View Post
This is great news, I have placed a pre-order and stopped a friend of mine bringing a US model back to Australia.
As I read it the international models will not attract a 3G charge from your place of residence. I am just curious which provider they are using here in Australia. There coverage map looks like a Telstra map to me here in Brisbane.
I actually did a comparison of Amazon's coverage map against Optus, Telstra and Vodafone and using Tassie as my point of reference (yes I am Tasmanian, no I don't have two heads or a scar) looks like Optus is the carrier (Vodafone just doesn't cover enough area in the maps, and Telstra appears to cover more than what Amazon are saying.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:08 AM   #79
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader1 View Post
I was glad to hear the latest news of the launch of Kindle International today. However when I look at the list of the countries that you ship Kindle to, I was flabbergasted that included countries like CONGO & RWANDA and yet missing out SINGAPORE!!

And we are actually listed together with SOMALIA, SUDAN, GAMBIA, etc. Amazon must seriously think that SINGAPORE is some third world countries that does not read English!! This is a terrible shame that SINGAPORE is left out in the list.....

Those who are from SINGAPORE should write to Amazon and ask them to check again the map and see where SINGAPORE is...
Why should an Asian country get preference over African countries?
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:10 AM   #80
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I've pre-ordered one. Total cost to the UK is $387.85 (includes $26.97 shipping and $51.89 import fees deposit).
That's including the $30 cover, isn't it, Paul? I've ordered it too, and mine's the same.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2009, 07:15 AM   #81
RufusA
RufusA began at the beginning.

Device: none
Looking at the coverage maps for the UK, in particular Argyll (where 3g coverage is characteristic of only one operator), I'd say that they are using Three as the network provider.

Rufus.
RufusA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:16 AM   #82
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
Why would they want to sell a kindle to Eskimos* and polar bears

*Yes ... I know ... Not PC ... trying to make a point!
No, Bob, that isn't an ice hockey puck for night games?
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:24 AM   #83
movieking
movieking began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by strangeseraph View Post
WTH!!! Canadian customers are always chipped! Amazon.ca sucks, no kindle yet for us but sure, why not release it in Fiji and the Congo? Its like Canada doesn't exist to American companies! Zune was really really late. iPhone was really really late. Kindle is still really really late. Like the above too, I am losing all interest in wanting one.

Sony probably will get my money before long. 9-9
Did you see the coverage map for international kindles in Canada? Very lacking. Hopefully they are waiting until they could blanket Canada with coverage, instead of the limited areas that they are now showing.
movieking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:25 AM   #84
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
This from my partner in Germany this morning:

***I notice that there still seem to be a couple of issues they’ve not properly sorted. For example, it can only be ordered and shipped from the US Amazon store, which means that it arrives with a US plug (although capable of charging from a 240v supply, the customer must still buy an additional plug adaptor), must be paid for in US dollars, is subject to customs duties and import taxes, and only has a one year warranty, which I believe is contrary to EU law. Plus, the newer DX version is not yet announced for international sale.

According to the Amazon publisher site, there have been no changes to the regulations about setting up content in the Kindle Store; still require a US presence, tax ID and bank account. Surely that must be against some kind of competition law though, since it means that, in 99 countries of the world, they are offering content for sale from the US, but barring sales of content from that home country. I guess that is one reason why they still only have the US Kindle store; start offering localised stores, and they’d have to also offer rights to local publishers. (ie. Maybe the argument is that, by buying from the US Kindle store even whilst outside the US, their purchases are actually made “in” the USA).***

On the subject of connectivity in Scotland where one of my associate editors (based in Canada) spends a few months of the year, he had this to say:

***Must have taken an army of lawyers to sort out this agreement with every mobile network owner in a hundred countries. Then again, I’m sure Amazon can afford it. Surprised about Canada though.

According to the network coverage map on site, although the 3G service is only available as far north as the major Scottish cities, you can still get EDGE/GPRS coverage even in the highlands. This is slower, but is still compatible with the Kindle. The reason is that the 3G antennae are relatively new and very expensive, and only have a small coverage footprint, but EDGE/GPRS technology uses the old-style antennae network which has been in place for many years now, and they have a much wider coverage.***

Hope some of this is useful here. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:28 AM   #85
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

It will be interesting to see how well it works when it gets here.
i'll be interested to hear how it goes

Like, is un-drming amazon book possible ? Regionals restriction or not ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:33 AM   #86
berniej
Enthusiast
berniej began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
This is welcome news! I almost gave up on getting an ebook reader but now, all I need to do is pre-order from Amazon and wait
berniej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:39 AM   #87
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 Silver. Much nicer than I expected.
Kindle books via iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I already did it, and I think I'm not going to change my country
Terisa,

Does this mean that you registered an iPhone and can buy Kindle books without the Kindle? Or did I misunderstand you? This is something that I might like to do after I buy a Sony Reader.
llreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:41 AM   #88
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlick View Post
It also seems to be a bit strange that the international wireless surcharge is so high even in places where data plans are much cheaper than in the US. For example, I'm in Taiwan and pay about US$23 a month for unlimited 3G data plan without a voice plan (I pay per-usage for voice). That's compared to my friends in the US who typically pay at least $70 a month for data and voice.
The international versions just seem to be at&t roaming onto local networks, a shortcut to save bothering signing multiple deals by the looks of it.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:51 AM   #89
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are their list of books any more international than they were yesterday? Or is this merely meant to be a boon for the globetrotters among their established customer base?

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:53 AM   #90
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader1 View Post
I was glad to hear the latest news of the launch of Kindle International today. However when I look at the list of the countries that you ship Kindle to, I was flabbergasted that included countries like CONGO & RWANDA and yet missing out SINGAPORE!!

And we are actually listed together with SOMALIA, SUDAN, GAMBIA, etc. Amazon must seriously think that SINGAPORE is some third world countries that does not read English!! This is a terrible shame that SINGAPORE is left out in the list.....

Those who are from SINGAPORE should write to Amazon and ask them to check again the map and see where SINGAPORE is...
Maybe SINGAPORE ended up on that list for trying to hard.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote