Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-11-2014, 10:28 AM   #1
Fierce
Fierce began at the beginning.

Device: none
Moving on from the PRS-505

Dear Mobileread users,

It has been quite some time since I last looked at ereaders. Back when the concept was still young, I got a Sony PRS-505 overseas. Many years has made it very old. It still works, but I'd like a clearer picture and a better refresh. Also something lighter.

I'm from the Netherlands, so a Kindle wouldn't be a wise choice.

I intend to read a lot of EPUBs on the device, and would like expandable storage. (eg MicroSD) I love to have some light in the screen too. 6" is good, and the higher the resolution the better.

Basically what I've come down to is the Kobo Aura or the Kobo Aura HD. The HD is a bit too pricy for me, even though the resulotion is great. There isn't that much choice over here.

The thing that worries me about the Aura is the fact it had a recent, pretty big price drop over here and in some stores they're already sold out. To me that feels like a product is reaching EOL or an updated version will come out soon.

I hope someone can give me a couple suggestions. Many thanks in advance!
Fierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:07 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You may wish to look at the Onyx T68 Lynx. It's an eInk Android tablet with a frontlight and a high-res screen (the same screen as the Kobo Aura HD). Because it's a general-purpose Android tablet you can run whatever reading app (or apps) you want on it. Oh, and it has an SD card slot, too.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2014, 12:58 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I can only comment on price in this post concerning the Onyx T68:

It is currently higher in price than the Kobo Aura HD. I mention this for the sole reason that you made a comment that Kobo Aura HD is too pricey for you.

Again, my comment reflects ONLY upon price and nothing else.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:10 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierce View Post
The thing that worries me about the Aura is the fact it had a recent, pretty big price drop over here and in some stores they're already sold out. To me that feels like a product is reaching EOL or an updated version will come out soon.
I've never really cared if I had the newest model or not, but I may be odd in this regard. In the U.S. Auras have been discounted $30 ($109) until July 23rd. I don't know if it's a sale or clearance, but it's got good, modern specs. I'm not sure what a newer model would add.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:50 PM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I've never really cared if I had the newest model or not, but I may be odd in this regard. In the U.S. Auras have been discounted $30 ($109) until July 23rd. I don't know if it's a sale or clearance, but it's got good, modern specs. I'm not sure what a newer model would add.
If I didn't already have an Aura, I would jump on that sale. They hardly ever go on sale!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2014, 07:18 PM   #6
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
One other consideration that may help ease your anxiety over the price drop/EOL concern with the Aura is that the "newer" (which means anything from 2011 on -- which is pretty good considering they only started making devices in 2010 and they were pretty primitive hardware that wouldn't handle current firmware) use a base firmware that is nearly the same across all the devices. The means that even the older devices get updates and new features, so even if the Aura went EOL next month, your device would likely be supported for years to come.
Personally, I really like the Aura HD for the slightly larger screen size and IR (rather than capactive) touch.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:09 PM   #7
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
I'm from the Netherlands, so a Kindle wouldn't be a wise choice.
Why not? You can buy books at Amazon.com and they will work.

You can also buy books at any EPUB-store. Set up Calibre, install the plugins by our good friend Apprentice Alf, so the DRM gets removed when you import EPUB's you bought. (Make sure you download them using ADE 2.01, not the new 3.0.)

You can then convert your EPUB's to AZW3 and put them onto the Kindle.

Oh, and Alf will also remove DRM from Amazon books. Just download them using Kindle for PC, and import them into Calibre.

I'm in the Netherlands as well, and use a Kindle since 2011 in this way.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:29 AM   #8
Fierce
Fierce began at the beginning.

Device: none
I've just ordered an Aura, which will be delivered to my door tomorrow. Thanks for the input people.

Katsunami, besides the fact that it is hard to get (as in getting one from the US), no expandable storage, the need for converting EPUBS or hacking the device it's not that appealing to me.
Fierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:46 AM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
I've just ordered an Aura, which will be delivered to my door tomorrow. Thanks for the input people.

Katsunami, besides the fact that it is hard to get (as in getting one from the US), no expandable storage, the need for converting EPUBS or hacking the device it's not that appealing to me.
Congratulations. Be sure to read posts in the MR Kobo forum and feel free to ask questions.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote