Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-30-2010, 07:56 AM   #1
theusualuser
Enthusiast
theusualuser doesn't littertheusualuser doesn't litter

Device: none
Smile The right reader for a guy who knows exactly what he wants it to do

I'm completely open to just about any ebook reader out there. The ones that I've studied the most are the Kindle 3 and the various flavors of Jetbooks and Libre Pros. So, here are my qualifications, and I'll let you tell me what fits.

I don't care at all about:

-Wifi

-3G

-DRM (stripping it is just a google search away)

-Extra formats/Lack of formats. If it supports MOBI or EPUB or FB2, I can make the necessary conversions with Calibre (after I strip the DRM, that is).

-How long it takes to charge OR having to leave it there to charge. I figure I'm smart enough to plan ahead and have it charged when I'm doing some heavy reading.

I DO care about (in order of importance):

1. Price AFTER any necessary add-ons (chargers, batteries, SD cards, etc.)

2. Price versus the screen. It's very important to me that the screen is crisp and the text is easy to read. If I'm going to spend $100 or more on a device that's supposed to keep me from getting eye strain rather than just read the ebook on my PC, it had BETTER have a nice screen.

3a. Is it going to last. I'm probably going to end up with a 1 year warranty on just about anything I buy. Is there a brand that really has stood the test of time?

3b. Ease of accessing my books. How are they organized? Can I jump to a particular page? Table of Contents? Can I sort them by author, or genre, or what have you?

4.Fonts - I'd like to be able to choose from some fonts if it's at all possible. I'd also like several different font sizes.

5. Does the company have good support. If I do end up having to deal with a defective unit, I'd really like the company to be able to work with me on getting it taken care of in a timely manner.

So, with all of those things in mind, what do you think is the right reader for me?

Another question: (maybe this needs another thread?) Are lithium ion batteries fairly cheap to replace? I want this unit to last for quite a number of years if that's possible, so I'm assuming I'll wear at least one battery out.

Ooh, just thought of another question. E-ink screens versus TFT vs. SiPix. Is there really enough of a difference that one format is clearly dominant? I mean, I've heard great things about the Kindle 3's screen, but I've heard that some people like the Jetbook better because the TFT allows for instant page turns with no annoying blink (is it really all THAT annoying?). I know nothing about Sipix. Someone please inform me!

Last edited by theusualuser; 10-30-2010 at 08:12 AM.
theusualuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:33 AM   #2
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
Just get a Kindle..Its cheap and works
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2010, 08:46 AM   #3
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theusualuser View Post
Ooh, just thought of another question. E-ink screens versus TFT vs. SiPix. Is there really enough of a difference that one format is clearly dominant? I mean, I've heard great things about the Kindle 3's screen, but I've heard that some people like the Jetbook better because the TFT allows for instant page turns with no annoying blink (is it really all THAT annoying?). I know nothing about Sipix. Someone please inform me!
Sipix is very similar to e-Ink. From what I hear it's slightly darker than the newest e-Ink screens (Perl, such as the new Kindle and Sony readers).
WTR blinking, I don't really think it's annoying, you get used to it after a while.
Your biggest choice is going to be between back-lit screens and e-Ink.
Try both before you decide for yourself, it seems to be a very personal preference.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
I think durability often depends on the user and his/her habits and handling and environment. I don't think anyone has an edge there.

I chose the eInk screen on the Kindle 3 because I don't use it for anything but text.

There is a video showing disassembly of the Kindle 3 which gives you access to changing the battery. Whether or not you can FIND a battery to replace it with is a question. LiION batteries have gotten much better and most will last many years with minimal degradation. I have some I've use in my cameras that date back to 2006.

A lot depends on where you plan to obtain your reading material. Amazon is a strong argument for the Kindle but they don't carry everything. You can buy elsewhere and convert if you want to go through the hassle and don't collect massive libraries.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:54 AM   #5
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
nook wifi at $139, replacable battery cost around $30, has a micro SD slot, can shop pretty much anywhere.

3 fonts
6 fonts sizes
epub
I like BN's customer service and instore support

easy sideloading and over the air purchasing as well as buying form the clouds with your computer.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2010, 10:09 AM   #6
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I had requirements similar to several of yours and chose a Jetbook Lite as my first e-reader a few weeks ago, for $100. It runs on 4 AA batteries, and I am using rechargeables. It has only a small internal memory; I am using a 4gb SDHC card which I got for $10.

I especially like that I can arrange my books any way I darn well please by setting up folders and subfolders. On the SD card I have genre folders with author subfolders, and some authors have subfolders for series.

You say you don't mind stripping and converting, but with the JBL you really don't have to, except with Amazon books. It's handled DRM epubs from BN, Kobo, Borders, and Sony.

Though the JBL has only two fonts, both sans serif, when books are in the epub format they display with the embedded (generally looks like Times Roman [serif]) font. I nearly went in another direction because of the sans serif fonts, so this was a pleasant surprise. And, yes, you can change sizes.

I think the screen is easy to read, and I am glad to avoid the flash on page turns.

I've only had it two weeks, so I can't speak to support issues or longevity. I just know that I am very happy with my choice. I think I got both the features that were most important to me and a great price point.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:08 PM   #7
anjirlly
Groupie
anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle on Android phone; PB360; Sony 950
Newbie here, who's leaning toward Pocketbook 360 ($179 at Dulin's with charger & SD card, doesn't need a separate cover) due to font and folder organization choices, 2 year warranty, and participation by sellers/reps in the Pocketbook forum.
anjirlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:58 PM   #8
theusualuser
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I had requirements similar to several of yours and chose a Jetbook Lite as my first e-reader a few weeks ago, for $100. It runs on 4 AA batteries, and I am using rechargeables. It has only a small internal memory; I am using a 4gb SDHC card which I got for $10.
So, with the sale on newegg for $99 with a case, the price of the batteries (I'm thinking about $15 or so for 8 rechargables) and a $5 SD card (I'll only need 1 or 2 GB), I'm sitting at about $120. That sounds pretty good to me. I'm definitely leaning toward a JBL right now, but I'll wait until black friday comes and the sales come along before I really decide.

I've heard that the Kindle has a nicer screen though, and it would only be $20 more, so it's still hard to say. Yeah, I'll definitely have to wait for the black friday sales.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:07 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by theusualuser View Post
Yeah, I'll definitely have to wait for the black friday sales.
I'm with you there. Even if an item isn't directly on sale, sometimes you'll get a free gift card for buying it or for spending a certain amount.

And it's only 4 weeks away.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:11 PM   #10
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
TUU, I agree that waiting till Thanksgiving weekend is a good idea.

Not everyone believes that the eInk pearl screen is superior to the reflective TFT screen.

I spent about $25 last year for 10 rechargeable batteries and a charger.

2 gig SD cards cost $10 around here. Where is everyone finding them for less?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:18 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
2 gig SD cards cost $10 around here. Where is everyone finding them for less?
Last Black Friday, I paid $15 for 8GB cards. This is one item that's always super cheap on BF. I'm hoping they'll have some sweet deals on 16GB cards this year.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:22 PM   #12
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks, tubemonkey. I'll keep an eye out.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:44 PM   #13
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I got a 4gb Sandisk SD card on sale at Staples last week for $10.

Last edited by Catlady; 10-30-2010 at 11:46 PM. Reason: forgot to add the price!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:47 AM   #14
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Stone tablets chiseled with copper tools is my recommendation.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:50 AM   #15
theusualuser
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Stone tablets chiseled with copper tools is my recommendation.
You bring up a good point, my friend.

But what about iron tools? Surely they have some merit as well.