Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-17-2013, 04:39 AM   #1
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
(Article) I Want To Reunite Lost Kindle And Its Owner, But Amazon Won’t Help

http://consumerist.com/2012/07/06/i-...zon-wont-help/

On an Android device it it pretty straightforward to put your personal info such as your contact e-mail address on the lock screen in case someone honest finds your device.

On the Kindle you can set up a password but for what? I guess that would serve mainly for your own annoyance.

No similar solution for the Kindle to let the honest finder of the device let know of your contact details?
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:42 AM   #2
mahtin
google this
mahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: kobo h2o2, bookeen muse frontlight, resurrected. Fire HD8.
There was on my keyboard K3, somewhere in the menus, and I even offered a reward.
Right now it's broke and I'm about to get a Paperwhite delivered.

Not sure how straightforward you would consider it, but you are in the right place to learn about jailbreaking your device and adding personal screensavers - so you could put what you wanted on your own screensaver. Up 2 U.

Last edited by mahtin; 06-17-2013 at 07:33 AM.
mahtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
We had a discussion on this very same article about nine or ten months ago. Sorry I can't find the original thread. But, if memory serves, several form members posted suggestions for how you can display your contact details (or any other custom information) on the Kindle screen.

My own suggestion was to write your contact details on a piece of paper and stick it to the back of the Kindle, but others thought that was too low-tec.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm surprised the person who found the Kindle did not turn it into the airline's lost and found. That's where I would have looked for it had it been mine and I lost it on the plane.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Nothing new about this.

Put a sticker on the Kindle with your name and contact information. If an honest person finds it, they'll be able to return it easily. If a dishonest person finds it, it really doesn't matter what measures you've added to protect it.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
It would be nice if Amazon could help and maybe they can, or maybe for privacy reasons they can't.

I once found a bag with newly purchased goos and a credit card receipt with the full number on it. I called both the store and the credit card company and was told that there was nothing they could do.

I called the police and reported it, much to their annoyance I gathered, and an add in the paper (free) but no one claimed it.

And I totally agree with JSWolf, the proper action was to turn it into the lost and found instead of seekig attention and acclaim from the media..

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #7
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
There is at least one Kindle note app. Some people save a note with their contact info to the device.

The same page had an article were something similar happened with a FitBit device. The company was sending the finder a FedEx label. Once they received it, they'd reunite it with the owner. Great customer service.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:28 AM   #8
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
It would be nice if Amazon could help and maybe they can, or maybe for privacy reasons they can't.
For privacy reasons Amazon could simply add an Owner Info feature to the lock screen similar to the one offered for Android.

OFF: It would be interesting to know here if iOS 7 and the Nook offers the same feature.
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:49 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
From the quoted article:

Quote:
Matt is trying to do a nice thing. The previous occupant of his seat on a plane left a Kindle behind in the seatback pocket. He took it with him, planning to reunite the device with its owner.
This doesn't strike me as "trying to do a nice thing" at all - it strikes me as stealing. The honest thing to do would have been to hand it in to the airline, so the owner could claim it back from them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #10
janrey
Groupie
janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle3, Voyage
Old thread but there are many ways to display your information, in settings there is personal information where you can put name address etc etc. Another option is to name your device a telephone number where you can be reached. Another option is to put on your device a document containing the information name it Contact Information.

I can understand why the guy didn't turn it in to the airlines, rarely does anyone find an item in lost and found from any airline/airport.
janrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:44 PM   #11
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
There's a setting in the Kindle 3 where you can enter your contact information on the device. Has it not been carried on to the newer models?
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:49 PM   #12
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Other ways I can think of to contact the owner:

(1) The default kindle name at the top of the device is "ABC's Kindle", where ABC is the Amazon username. The finder could try contacting said user on Amazon on the off-chance that he didn't rename his kindle.

(2) Post a thread on the kindle forum at Amazon.com about a kindle left behind on a flight. Ask the original owner to reply to the thread by submitting a screenshot of the kindle serial number as listed on his Amazon page. Verify with serial number on device to confirm ownership.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:05 PM   #13
crgator
crgator began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
I've got a new Kindle Paperwhite. I've entered my name, phone and email address on mine. Went to menu, settings, device options, personalize your kindle, personal info.
crgator is offline   Reply With Quote