Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #16
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
There are too many sizes, too many different reads and writes, and other specifications that it's pretty confusing to buy.
Really? Everybody's standardizing on microSD, one size for all.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #17
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
I could drive halfway across the state to buy a blu-ray movie and still make it back home in less time than it would take me to download the movie.
When I want to watch a movie in the cloud it starts streaming in seconds.

Bandwidth and net speeds are improving all the time; cloud computing is all about working on data that's in the cloud, and getting away from the concept of files and downloads. Not everyone, everywhere has that sort of connectivity yet, of course, but that's the way it's going and to truly appreciate the cloud you have to look ahead to a time when bandwidth is copious and available like power and water.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #18
Polyphemus
I am not The Stig
Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK-3g; PRS-350; Galaxy Tab 7.0+; Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
A wifi hard drive may be what you need, e.g.:

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Wi-Dr.../ref=pd_cp_e_0

Graham
It also comes in a 128 GB model.

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Wi-Dr...I1YQFHXTMSDVBL

I use the 64 GB model to stream media to my wife's iPad and the various tablets when we are not at home. I'm considering getting the 128 GB drive when the 64 GB drive gets close to being full. In other words, in another month.
Polyphemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:50 AM   #19
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Really? Everybody's standardizing on microSD, one size for all.
Both my cameras, a big Olympus and a small Fuji use xD and now all the camera Manufacturers have standardized on (I think) SD. Anyway some version of SD.

But at least I never bought Beta-Max or Blu-Ray.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #20
timb.us
Enthusiast
timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPad 2
An SD/mSD slot would require a slightly thicker frame to accommodate the mechanics. They actually do make an external SD card reader (part of the Camera Connection Kit) that will store photos and videos, which is really the only thing you'd be moving in and out that takes up a lot of space, so you're covered there.

For most casual users who just want to browse the web, read books, FaceTime with the grandkids and play Angry Birds, the lowest storage option will work just fine. For the power user who wants to proof photos off their dSLR, play tons of games, keep all their photos, movies and documents on their iPad, I always recommend people go for the highest storage option.

I've probably setup 100 iPads for people over the last couple of years (I did computer repair in a small town) and it was always either 16GB or 64GB versions. I think I only ever saw two or three middle-road 32GB iPads.
timb.us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #21
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
The SD card reader is one way, to copy images on to the iOS device. It is not a memory extension.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #22
HarryHutton
Connoisseur
HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Voyage, Samsung Note 10.1, Nook Simple Touch, M92
cost of 16gb ipad mini = £269
cost of 32gb ipad mini = £349

difference is 80 quid

16gb SD card is under a tenner, and will continue to get cheaper, and 32gb will eventually be under a tenner too.

we're paying 80 quid (70 pounds more than an SD card) for the inability to upgrade space on a device that has been designed "for us".

<rant>
I feel cheated whenever the design of the products and services we use is twisted to serve the financial self-interests of businesses.

Design of products and services for the people should be in the interest of the people. Whenever serving the user need is deliberately sacrificed in favour of lucrative profit, the user loses.
I do not like supporting products and systems that do this.
</rant>

this is sort of why i like the open source hardware movement. hasn't really taken off yet, but i get the feeling that it might. and should.
HarryHutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #23
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
When I want to watch a movie in the cloud it starts streaming in seconds.

Bandwidth and net speeds are improving all the time; cloud computing is all about working on data that's in the cloud, and getting away from the concept of files and downloads. Not everyone, everywhere has that sort of connectivity yet, of course, but that's the way it's going and to truly appreciate the cloud you have to look ahead to a time when bandwidth is copious and available like power and water.

Graham
And then you can sit around without access to any of your Cloud files because your ISP is down... copious bandwidth isn't a lot of use when you've got no connection...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #24
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
And then you can sit around without access to any of your Cloud files because your ISP is down... copious bandwidth isn't a lot of use when you've got no connection...
True, but the movie wouldn't download either. The point was that you don't have to wait for an internet movie to download to start watching (vs having time to go to the rental shop and back).

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #25
timb.us
Enthusiast
timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The SD card reader is one way, to copy images on to the iOS device. It is not a memory extension.

Dale
If you jailbreak it becomes fully accessible. Besides, what does it matter if it's one way when you're just trying to load up a bunch of movies for a flight? Load your apps on the iPad's internal memory and fill an SD card up with video. In that way it does act as a memory expansion.

Dale

Last edited by timb.us; 03-10-2013 at 03:57 PM.
timb.us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #26
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
My subscriptions take up a hell lot of space, if Apple doesnt double memory on the iPads and retain price by the time i need a new tablet, im out... That's kind of my strategy...
I think they need to learn that they cannot milk customers indefinitely because over the course of one or two generations, they will literally not buy their crap anymore (and the thing is, and everybody has realized this, 32 GB should become the norm base model, especially in times of high res digital magazines, 1 GB "mobile" games and 2GB movies)...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #27
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
My subscriptions take up a hell lot of space, if Apple doesnt double memory on the iPads and retain price by the time i need a new tablet, im out... That's kind of my strategy...
I think they need to learn that they cannot milk customers indefinitely because over the course of one or two generations, they will literally not buy their crap anymore (and the thing is, and everybody has realized this, 32 GB should become the norm base model, especially in times of high res digital magazines, 1 GB "mobile" games and 2GB movies)...
It is much better to spend your money on something like an external wifi hotspot solid-state disk drive. It can stream all the video you want and show pictures and let you keep copies of your magazines and you don't have to pay for all that memory over and over again as you replace the tablet for a new one with more features. Nor do you have to reload everything you own when you buy a new one. Not only that but a wifi hotspot diskdrive can also service multiple devices simultaneously if you wish. It is great for family trips. It can also serve as a cloud for backups.

Dale
Old 03-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #28
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I'm not sure an external wifi hard drive helps if the app requires its data to be managed by the app, such as podcasts. iOS doesn't allow apps to extend themselves to external storage.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #29
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It is much better to spend your money on something like an external wifi hotspot solid-state disk drive. It can stream all the video you want and show pictures and let you keep copies of your magazines and you don't have to pay for all that memory over and over again as you replace the tablet for a new one with more features. Nor do you have to reload everything you own when you buy a new one. Not only that but a wifi hotspot diskdrive can also service multiple devices simultaneously if you wish. It is great for family trips. It can also serve as a cloud for backups.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I'm not sure an external wifi hard drive helps if the app requires its data to be managed by the app, such as podcasts. iOS doesn't allow apps to extend themselves to external storage.
This. An external wifi hotspot with storage isn't going to do any good for apps/games and magazine subscriptions (presumably with DRM and using some obscure format) which is what the previous poster wanted a higher capacity iPad for.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #30
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
This. An external wifi hotspot with storage isn't going to do any good for apps/games and magazine subscriptions (presumably with DRM and using some obscure format) which is what the previous poster wanted a higher capacity iPad for.
That was one of the things the OP wanted. The biggest thing was 2GB movies and it will work great for that freeing up space on the device for magazines. You don't have to put everything on the external drive, just the hogs. Nobody is advocating you don't need some internal storage.

Dale