Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-22-2013, 11:59 PM   #46
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire View Post
These ebooks aren't in my library's digital collection, but they're available in OverDrive for library patrons to recommend for purchase.
Thanks! Just checked my library's digital collection and they now have The Deep Blue Goodbye (#1) and Cinnamon Skin (#20). Both have short waiting lists.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #47
Illinifan
Connoisseur
Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4, iPhone 4, iPod touch, Sony PRS 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
Thanks! Just checked my library's digital collection and they now have The Deep Blue Goodbye (#1) and Cinnamon Skin (#20). Both have short waiting lists.
I just checked the Overdrive Search and none of the Travis McGee books in any format are showing up in any library.

Would love to re-read the whole series.
Illinifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:02 PM   #48
Illinifan
Connoisseur
Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4, iPhone 4, iPod touch, Sony PRS 300
And yet one of my e-libraries has 10 of them listed, but none available.

Hmmm....patience, padawan.
Illinifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:48 AM   #49
Sapphire
Enthusiast
Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Sony 505 & 650
Columbus Metro has 10 titles, Illinifan, but they're not sequential -- 1, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 14, 15, 17, and 19. The wait lists are short.

I'm not sure why the librarians failed to purchase the ebooks at the beginning of the series. Maybe someone will request them.
Sapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #50
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
All of these are also available as Audible books. Well read by Robert Petkoff. I won't pay $8-$12 for eBook versions, but I'll definitely pay one Audible credit for an audio book version, even though they're fairly short.

I've listened to the first two in the series: The Deep Blue Goodbye, and Nightmare in Pink. McGee is still McGee, and the books have, mostly, stood the test of time. His attitudes towards women are a product of when they were written, but even I am able to get past most of that.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #51
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
If you guys wait you will be able to get the books for way less in a year or so. Once people that are willing to pay such high prices are less the prices will come down at moment publishers are getting what they can out of extreme demand once the demand goes down so will the prices
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:49 PM   #52
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
This is really good news. Over the last few years I have been looking for (and finding) some of MacDonald's other books. The McGee books may be the most popular but I don't think that they are anywhere near his best books. I now have about half of his other books. I'd be more than happy to buy the other half but not at $12. I wouldn't pay much more than $6. Better yet, I'll wait for them to appear at the library.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:08 AM   #53
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkperez View Post
Unrealistic in your mind, not in mine... 50 year old books. Books that have already made their money in hardcover, made MORE money in paperback, then slowly faded away. Author's dead, books are of interested to a pretty small group that read some of them years ago, and now they've been resurrected in e-book form to make EVEN MORE money.

So, YEAH, I figure they're worth about $2.99 each. Publisher wants more, fine. They'll sell 'em to someone else, 'cause I can find a LOT of fine books to read that DO fit into the $0.99, $1.99, $2.99 range.
Totally agree. Old backlist shouldn't be more than about $3 or maybe as much as $4 for real classics like these.

Luckily, like DarkScribe somewhere else in this thread, I've already gotten them all scanned for my personal use. I had a bunch of them already, and I bought used DTBs of the rest, mostly for 25 -50 cents each - also giving my local library some money in the process. I then had them scanned by bookscan.us for a dollar each. Even the shipping didn't cost too much since I send pretty big batches via Media Mail. Presto, problem solved for less than $2 each. It took a little while to get them all, but eventually I did.

If RH had come out with these for $4 each a while ago, before I went to the hassle of getting them all scanned, I would have bought the lot, so they would have had $84 from me, for books that I mostly already owned in DTB. That would have been a pretty good feat. Now, of course, since I already have scans, and since they're $7.99 and up, they won't get anything. Oh well, their business decision...

I will put in a plug for one of John D. MacDonald's non-Travis McGee books. I personally love The Girl, the Gold Watch, and Everything. One of those few totally-LOL books that I have to read (re-read) alone.

Last edited by sufue; 01-29-2013 at 08:16 AM. Reason: typo
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:24 AM   #54
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
I will put in a plug for one of John D. MacDonald's non-Travis McGee books. I personally love The Girl, the Gold Watch, and Everything. One of those few totally-LOL books that I have to read (re-read) alone.
Absolutely!!

Doesn't seem to be available as an ebook, though.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:11 PM   #55
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just checked out The Deep Blue Goodbye and I'm going to spend the evening reading it on my Nook. I would have bought it a week ago had it been $7.99 instead of $11.99. But no matter now. I'm just happy to meet up with my old friend Travis again.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:35 PM   #56
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
About time they lowered the price.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:31 PM   #57
BelleZora
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
About time they lowered the price.
Apache
They didn't lower the price. I resorted to the library when I received a notice tonight that the digital book was now available.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:31 AM   #58
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
He also wrote sci-fi, and many more non-Travis McGee novels, like The Brass Cupcake, Condominium, The Executioners (Cape Fear), and many many others. I wonder if they'll do the entire backlist?
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:14 AM   #59
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
They didn't lower the price. I resorted to the library when I received a notice tonight that the digital book was now available.
I had Googled the book title and forgot to check the book type. The paperback is $7.99 not the ebook.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #60
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
I have been re-reading his books over the past few days - this thread prompted me. I had forgotten how often he moralised, lectured, and mounted his "green" soapbox throughout his novels. He was lecturing about conservation and pollution back in the sixties. They are still very entertaining books - proselytising included.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote