Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-31-2011, 12:53 AM   #1
paperkraft
paperkraft began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile Buying from India - Kindle 3 or Nook Touch?

Hi!
I'm from India and I'm planning to buy a ereader through a shopping website. The prices after tax and shipping are: Nook Touch ~ 260USD and Kindle 3 ~ 220USD.

Personally, I like Nook Touch because it supports epub and has a much better UX. Would I be facing any issues just because I'm buying it from India? Would there be any problems with the registration or device usage in India? Is there any reason I should go for the Kindle 3 instead? (purely because I'm buying it from India, not on product differences or price)

OT, Is there any reason to wait for Kindle 4? Has the e-ink technology advanced since the launch of Nook Touch? (like faster page turns, vibrant colors etc). I mean to use the ereader just for reading ebooks, not for videos or mp3 or pdf etc.
paperkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:34 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
B&N do not sell books outside the US. You'd be a lot better off with a Kindle as far as buying books goes. I've never used a nook, so I can't comment on the device, but I'm extremely happy with my Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:45 AM   #3
paperkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
B&N do not sell books outside the US. You'd be a lot better off with a Kindle as far as buying books goes. I've never used a nook, so I can't comment on the device, but I'm extremely happy with my Kindle.
Apart from buying books from B&N, are there any other things I should be aware of? Would side-loaded books work well in it?
Old 08-31-2011, 02:48 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, side-loaded books work fine. You can only use 250MB of the nook's storage space for side-loaded content, but you can also use a microSD card, so that's not really an issue.

The reason I like Amazon myself is the bookstore. The best selection and, I generally find, the lowest prices, too.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:58 AM   #5
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
IIRC, most of the on-board storage space of the Nook is reserved for books bought from B&N, but since you can put in your own SD card, this may not be much of a problem. Also B&N may not honor the warranty in non-US countries, but you may want to ask this specifically in the B&N forum.

You may also be interested in the Kobo Touch. That is e-ink Pearl and also supports epub.

The technology of e-ink screens hasn't really advanced much in the two or so months since the debut of the Nook STR. Since you prefer epub and don't like the Kindle's UX, I don't really see any reason for you to wait for the next Kindle, as neither of these things will probably drastically in the next version.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:41 AM   #6
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Infibeam Pi2

I just noticed an Infibeam PI2 offer today.
They are selling their new eink reader for 9999Rs and giving a set of infibeam coupons for 10000Rs.
So the reader "seems" practically free making this worth considering.
It maybe a good offer, if you can live with the high cost of their (e)books.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:23 AM   #7
paperkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhari79 View Post
I just noticed an Infibeam PI2 offer today.
They are selling their new eink reader for 9999Rs and giving a set of infibeam coupons for 10000Rs.
So the reader "seems" practically free making this worth considering.
It maybe a good offer, if you can live with the high cost of their (e)books.
I just ordered the Nook Touch from 20north, hope it gets delivered on time.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:46 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Good for you. Hope that you enjoy using it!
Old 09-17-2011, 08:44 AM   #9
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
I am finding 20north to be too expensive most times. Sorry to be a spoil sport
In future also try overstock.com as they have international shipping(to india also). Sometimes if lucky, amazon.com may ship electronic stuff outside US.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote