Notices

Old 03-16-2009, 02:26 AM   #1
wild_Willie2
Zealot
wild_Willie2 began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
PRS-505 displaying PDF with a LOT of tabs/enters once zoomed in

Hi there.

I have noticed that some PDF's I am reading on my 505 are displayed with a LOT of tabs/enters once I zoom in to read them. It's not a gamekiller but it tends to cause me a lot pageturning in a very short time.

Let me give an example:

A text like this:

"Because space had a hundred thousand ways to kill you; and even though humankind had largely turned its back on galactic exploration, one thing humans kept discovering was brand-new ways to die in the
long, cold night among the stars. Nor had spacefarers merely the mischances and caprices of the universe to fear".

will be displayed like this:

"Because space had a hundred thousand ways
to kill you;
and even though humankind had largely turned
its back on galactic exploration, one thing humans
kept
discovering was brand-new ways to die in the
long, cold night among the stars.
Nor
had spacefarers merely the
mischances
and caprices of the universe to fear. "

I think this is most likely caused by the readers software trying to adapt the text and failing to do so, but if anybody has a clue how to fix it, please let me know.

Maybe it are the conversion tools I am using to create the PDF's that are causing the "problems"
I am normally using the ABC ambet LIT converter to convert .LIT to PDF's and am using office to convert .doc's to PDF.

If anybody has an idea how to fix this, please let me know.
wild_Willie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:45 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
What's happening is that when you zoom in on a PDF, it goes into "reflow" mode, where it tries to display the text, basically at the expense of any formatting!

Taking a step back, the question is why you're needing to reflow the PDFs - PDF's only work well if created for the page size of the reading medium, which by default will probably be the A4/Letter sheet of paper. If you can instead target the much smaller size of the eInk device screen, you'll have a much better looking book.

Another option to try would be to use Calibre's lit2lrf & rtf2lrf conversions (either via the GUI or the command-line) for the LIT sources and DOCs saved as RTF respectively. (Or just try saving the Word docs as RTF & trying them directly on the device.)
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2009, 06:29 AM   #3
wild_Willie2
Zealot

Ok, I will start using Calibre and see if that works.

Also,could you simplify this statement for me?
I have a Msc but no idea what you are taking about here............

"Taking a step back, the question is why you're needing to reflow the PDFs - PDF's only work well if created for the page size of the reading medium, which by default will probably be the A4/Letter sheet of paper. If you can instead target the much smaller size of the eInk device screen, you'll have a much better looking book."
Old 03-16-2009, 10:47 AM   #4
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Put another way... If you're creating the documents yourself, rather than getting them as PDF from another source, why are you creating PDFs that you need to zoom in to be able to read? :-)

The second part was guessing that you were using the default settings of the creation/conversion software, but the chances are that it would be expecting to be producing a document that would be printed, so would expect the document to be output onto a device(printer) with an A4 or Letter page size. However, by trying to read it's output on the Sony, it would be actually displaying it on a device with a page size of less than a 1/4 of the 'intended' size, meaning that you had to zoom it to see it!

While the easiest option is probably to convert to LRF or RTF, the other option would be to see if you could produce anything usable when targeting a page size of ~8cm x 11cm.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:05 AM   #5
wild_Willie2
Zealot

Ok thanks, will look into that
Advert