Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-24-2013, 11:05 PM   #2191
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool ...ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhevi View Post
What I'm really hoping for is either to see more Sanya (if only to hear Marsters in the audiobooks "Tiny... but fierce." lol , Ebenezer McCoy, McAnnaly (obviously), and backstory for Harry's mother. So much that I am dying to have more of.
to all of that!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:46 PM   #2192
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Question for all the Dresdenites: What was your LEAST favorite entry in the series?

I have to go with White Knight. I can't quite pin down why, at least not just yet. I may have to re-read it, but I couldn't bring myself to care much for the story and felt detached from it.
For me it's a tie between White Knight and Ghost Story.
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE the whole series, but if I'm gonna pick my lowest favorites, it's them.

Much like yourself, I found myself detached from the story of White Knight, and wasn't a huge fan of the supporting cast, (excluding the regulars, of course).

As far as Ghost Story, I dunno. Something about it just didn't work for me. I felt like I was watching an episode of LOST, where I was getting forty new questions for every half answer given with a quick "wind up" as the end of the book approached. Plus, I just didn't find the main villain
Spoiler:
The Corpsetaker's Shade
to be all that dramatic of a main bad guy. *Shrugs*
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2013, 11:48 PM   #2193
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Welcome to The Dresden Files Thread, Dhevi! Yeah, you're one of quite a few of us who really liked Cold Days and are also anxiously awaiting the release of Skin Game.

Welcome to the Dresden Files Thread, Dhevi.
I'm a relative newbie here too, and it's waaaaaay too easy to get comfy here!
Old 07-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #2194
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool none...

Quote:
Question for all the Dresdenites: What was your LEAST favorite entry in the series?...
Some are weaker and/or less appealing than others but IMHO not by enough to bother about. I always say that my favorite Dresden Files book is the one I'm reading right now (or have just finished). I'll be saying that again in a month or so when I begin my yearly re-read of the entire series.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #2195
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Some are weaker and/or less appealing than others but IMHO not by enough to bother about. I always say that my favorite Dresden Files book is the one I'm reading right now (or have just finished). I'll be saying that again in a month or so when I begin my yearly re-read of the entire series.

We will be awaiting the drum roll when you do

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2013, 08:16 PM   #2196
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Hello...

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
We will be awaiting the drum roll when you do

Helen
Hi Helen, good to see you hanging out here every once-in-a-while!

After leaving that post I began thinking that I might just start a bit earlier than I'd been planning as lately I've noticed that I've been reading things a bit more slowly.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:46 AM   #2197
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
am currently waiting for the the audiobook collection of the first 7 Dresden file novels. I just think they will be fun listens.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #2198
Dhevi
Zealot
Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S3, Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkw View Post
am currently waiting for the the audiobook collection of the first 7 Dresden file novels. I just think they will be fun listens.
After having listened to the audiobooks for The Dresden Files, James Marsters is firmly imprinted in my mind as Harry's voice.... with Terrence Man as Bob from the short-lived t.v. series.
Dhevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #2199
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
Quote:
After having listened to the audiobooks for The Dresden Files, James Marsters is firmly imprinted in my mind as Harry's voice.... with Terrence Man as Bob from the short-lived t.v. series.
nice!! now I am even more eager to get my shot at them. My library surprised me not only by having multiple copies but a good portion of allthe novels to date all in audiobook format online.

Terrence Man was PERFECT as Bob.

Lost year I started the Iron Druid books but save for Oberon and a couple other supporting characters I got bored or perhaps just overwhelmed bythe vocabulary. Plus they kept missing the sweetspot Harry Dresden and pals fill. So from more on I will accept no substitutes.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #2200
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Storm Front

Quote:
...After leaving that post I began thinking that I might just start a bit earlier than I'd been planning as lately I've noticed that I've been reading things a bit more slowly.
I've decided to begin my third annual re-read of Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files series today. I had planned to begin this re-read a little closer to Skin Game's release date, but since I've noticed that my book consumption rate has slowed significantly as of late, as stated in the above quote, I've just now begun re-reading Storm Front again.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #2201
AlbertaCowboy
Guru

Quote:
I've decided to begin my third annual re-read of Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files series today. I had planned to begin this re-read a little closer to Skin Game's release date, but since I've noticed that my book consumption rate has slowed significantly as of late, as stated in the above quote, I've just now begun re-reading Storm Front again.

Nice!
I'm thinking I'm gonna start soon as well. I had restarted Storm Front a few months ago, but got sidetracked.
Maybe I'll read it out loud to Molly.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #2202
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I got my copy of Changes back!!!

Now I am thinking I need to start all over again.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #2203
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool HOORAY!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_phoenix View Post
I got my copy of Changes back!!!

Now I am thinking I need to start all over again.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #2204
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Bombshells!

Quoted from jim-butcher.com

Quote:
July 26, 2013 - Excerpt from Molly-POV story: Bombshells!

Tor.com has posted an exclusive excerpt from “Bombshells,” the Molly-POV short story from George R. R. Martin and Gardner Dozois’ Dangerous Women. This anthology is due out December 3rd and features new stories from Jim Butcher, Joe Abercrombie, Brandon Sanderson, Carrie Vaughn, Diana Gabaldon, Diana Rowland, Sherilynn Kenyon, and many other notable science fiction/fantasy authors.

Read the intro to “Bombshells,” check out a spoiler-free review of the story, then preorder Dangerous Women from the Jim-Butcher.com store!
WOW!
Read the excerpt!

Last edited by alansplace; 07-27-2013 at 11:03 AM. Reason: add info...
Old 07-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #2205
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool My Interview with Jim Butcher

In My Interview with Jim Butcher Jim discusses, among other things, Skin Game with Rebecca Lovatt!

I posted this interview here, back in May.

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy