Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 02-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #1
zemir
zemir began at the beginning.

Device: Palm
Plucker problem: do who want to help me?

Hi, i am newbie on this forum and i hope that i am in the right place
I have an old palm m125 and i use plucker on windows to convert some html files or entire sites to read on my palm device but in some cases, plucker does not recognize well the source text and i view on my reader strange characters such as letters with accents and others.
For example: i have tried to convert the installation manual for debian from debian site:

http://www.debian.org/releases/stabl.../index.html.en

but when i read this document on my palm, i do not read well it!!!
Why?
I have tried to change character encoding, but never i resolve!
Please help me!
zemir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zemir View Post
Hi, i am newbie on this forum and i hope that i am in the right place
I have an old palm m125 and i use plucker on windows to convert some html files or entire sites to read on my palm device but in some cases, plucker does not recognize well the source text and i view on my reader strange characters such as letters with accents and others.
For example: i have tried to convert the installation manual for debian from debian site:

http://www.debian.org/releases/stabl.../index.html.en

but when i read this document on my palm, i do not read well it!!!
Why?
I have tried to change character encoding, but never i resolve!
Please help me!
I can't reproduce the problem. I downloaded the manual from debian.org to a local directory using WinHTTrack, then built a Plucker document from it.

I have the current Plucker Desktop and CVS build of the Plucker viewer. To make my life a little easier, I use Rafael Fetzer's PDA Converter, which is essentially a GUI wrapper that lets you choose the options you want, then calls the Plucker parser in a background task to build the Plucker volume.

My preferred options are full color, full size images linked to a thumbnail, and high compression using Zlib. The Debian install manual converted to a 210KB Plucker file, which looks fine in FBReader (which displays Plucker files among others. I haven't moved it to my PDA yet.)

How are you getting the source file? If you are trying to spider the site with Plucker desktop, you may be having a problem with your connection, and getting an inaccurate download. Try building the Plucker file from a local copy of the HTML and see if it works.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #3
zemir
zemir began at the beginning.

Device: Palm
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
I can't reproduce the problem. I downloaded the manual from debian.org to a local directory using WinHTTrack, then built a Plucker document from it.

I have the current Plucker Desktop and CVS build of the Plucker viewer. To make my life a little easier, I use Rafael Fetzer's PDA Converter, which is essentially a GUI wrapper that lets you choose the options you want, then calls the Plucker parser in a background task to build the Plucker volume.

My preferred options are full color, full size images linked to a thumbnail, and high compression using Zlib. The Debian install manual converted to a 210KB Plucker file, which looks fine in FBReader (which displays Plucker files among others. I haven't moved it to my PDA yet.)

How are you getting the source file? If you are trying to spider the site with Plucker desktop, you may be having a problem with your connection, and getting an inaccurate download. Try building the Plucker file from a local copy of the HTML and see if it works.
______
Dennis
Hi Dennis, thanks for your answer and i'm sorry for delay....... i have not yet made what you say but i have tried to use another software: iSilo - http://www.isilo.com/ - and iSilox - http://www.isilox.com/ -. With iSiloX i have converted the Debian manual in few minutes and the result is very good! The file is lightly bigger of plucker format but it is more similar to original. And in plucker the tables are not imported well and the text has a lot of mistakes. I do not think there is a problem of the internet connection, iSiloX works very fine in online mode as well as in local mode! However the iSilo reader is not free or open source but commercial in the full mode (almost 10,00 Euro - you can use it in free mode but does not support all the functionality) but i think that is a valid solution! However, thanks!
zemir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:12 PM   #4
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zemir View Post
Hi Dennis, thanks for your answer and i'm sorry for delay....... i have not yet made what you say but i have tried to use another software: iSilo - http://www.isilo.com/ - and iSilox - http://www.isilox.com/ -. With iSiloX i have converted the Debian manual in few minutes and the result is very good! The file is lightly bigger of plucker format but it is more similar to original. And in plucker the tables are not imported well and the text has a lot of mistakes. I do not think there is a problem of the internet connection, iSiloX works very fine in online mode as well as in local mode! However the iSilo reader is not free or open source but commercial in the full mode (almost 10,00 Euro - you can use it in free mode but does not support all the functionality) but i think that is a valid solution! However, thanks!
<shrug>

I looked at iSilo back when, but Plucker met my needs. (I keep iSiloX desktop around to convert Windows Truetype fonts to a form I can put on the PDA, where another utility converts them for use in applications.)

Like I said, I couldn't reproduce your problem. I downloaded the Debian manual to a local directory and converted for Plucker from it, and everything worked fine.

Agreed, table support is not well developed in Plucker. That hasn't been an issue for me.

If iSilo solved your problem, by all means, use it.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
dalaidakkar
dalaidakkar began at the beginning.

Device: aldiablo@gmail.com
Talking plucker correct encoding

Hi, I'm from Mexico and I was having issues converting my ebooks to plucker format, most of all with accents (á é í..) and the ñ character. After trying many encondings I found one that shows ok on the palm viewer, the steps I follow:

copy my pdf text and paste it on open office writer.
save as Text Encoded (check Edit Filter Checkmark)
Click save and a dialog to select encoding appears
Select Western Europe ISO-8859-1
save
Then just type from a terminal:
$plucker-build mytext.txt>mytext.pdb

I know it has is cons because you loose all the formatting but since I read novels the most this is not much trouble for me, hope this helps anyone.
dalaidakkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert