Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-02-2011, 02:38 AM   #1
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Dynamic keymaps

The code for the keyboard contains the following comment: "temp solution until we have XML based dynamic keymaps". This inspired me to look for an xml-based implementation of 'dynamic keymaps'. Also the lack of a 'development' keyboard when using rxvt bothered me (I am missing the Tab- and Esc-keys).
Personally I believe that IRX is focussing completely on their new mission (as they should) and will not release any firmware for the DR anymore (not even the final 2.0), so I think that this work will not become obsolete by a new firmware update.

My question to you (DR-users) is:
In which ways should the keyboard be configurable? (e.g. the available keys, size of the keys, dimension of the keyboard, ...)
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:18 AM   #2
yuri_b
Connoisseur
yuri_b will become famous soon enoughyuri_b will become famous soon enoughyuri_b will become famous soon enoughyuri_b will become famous soon enoughyuri_b will become famous soon enoughyuri_b will become famous soon enough

Device: irex dr800sg DR1000S
I also planed to enchance keyboard, but lack of time
In my vision it should be some xml configurable keyboard that will allow switch to several languages and quick switch to numberic/alpha and lower/upper
Ideally user will select which languages he prefer to use.
yuri_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2011, 05:57 AM   #3
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

Device: Iliad v2, DR800S (inlove)
For my wife I've made a hack on the standard iRex keyboard. She needed Russian letters for StarDict, so I put Russian alphabet instead of Latin capital letters. Capital letters may be important only for rxvt (definitely not her case ) Works fine, but the solution is ugly ..

I have a running executable version of Matchbox Keyboard from DR1000 (got it from version 1.7 ?? don't remember). There you have a complete layout + xml configuration. Now what is required is substituting the standard keyboard with this one (and not launching on top). I can post the sources if you want.
dima_tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:01 AM   #4
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri_b View Post
I also planed to enchance keyboard, but lack of time
In my vision it should be some xml configurable keyboard that will allow switch to several languages and quick switch to numberic/alpha and lower/upper
Ideally user will select which languages he prefer to use.
Hi yuri_b,

Thanks for your feedback. The implementation that I am currently making should fit with your vision.
The speed at which the keyboard changes (numeric/alpha lower/upper) can not easily be changed, due to the refresh speed of the diplay (and the display-driver also preventing quick changes).
For setting preferred language a setting-dialog can be added/modifed.

Marcel.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:10 AM   #5
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dima_tr View Post
For my wife I've made a hack on the standard iRex keyboard. She needed Russian letters for StarDict, so I put Russian alphabet instead of Latin capital letters. Capital letters may be important only for rxvt (definitely not her case ) Works fine, but the solution is ugly ..

I have a running executable version of Matchbox Keyboard from DR1000 (got it from version 1.7 ?? don't remember). There you have a complete layout + xml configuration. Now what is required is substituting the standard keyboard with this one (and not launching on top). I can post the sources if you want.
Hi Dima,

I modified the erkeybd component and defined my own xml-format. I did not look at the matchbox format, thanks for pointing me to it. I already did some small experiments on the emulator and can reproduce the standard keyboard with a xml-file . For some initial testing I created a azerty- and 'abc'-layout. It could help if you would send me an example of a russian layout to see how my code handles these non-western-european characters.

The code has some problems (and some limitations) so I still need to work on it for some time.
Advert
Old 02-02-2011, 06:34 AM   #6
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

Device: Iliad v2, DR800S (inlove)
Again impressed with your passion for improving the device Send me the xml (to my e-mail), I'll fill it in with Russian layout.
dima_tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
Regarding your motivation, I certainly agree with Dima

The existing keyboard is indeed far too basic.
For me tab, escape, and control keys would be nice, for instance in order to try to really use the emacs like editor zile that Iñigo has ported on the device itself. Also caps lock ...

I remember a proposal for some changes by allovertheglobe in

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...eyboard&page=3

post # 36,

but then I realize that you are aware of this as you had already answered at that time ...
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:40 AM   #8
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fekhner View Post
I remember a proposal for some changes by allovertheglobe in

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...eyboard&page=3

post # 36,

but then I realize that you are aware of this as you had already answered at that time ...
Thanks for refreshing my memory again, I will consider the design that allovertheglobe made (for DR1000 firmware 1.7.1). If all is well everybody can design her/his own keyboard with an xmp-file and some images ... (and some technical skills and maybe a running emulator to check if the modified software does not crash and ...) The modifications should work on both DR1000 and DR800, so once I got it working, I will release it as a separate package (not as part of my other patches). I am having some problems with Russian characters at this time (and not that much time to look at it...) so it will probably take some time.

The Caps-lock, tab, esc and Ctrl are also taken into the design.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:40 PM   #9
Mackx
Guru

Proof of Concept

I have just tested the changes I made on my DR and I am very pleased. Note however that the change is not yet complete. Not everything is working as I would want it to work, so I still have to do a lot of work.

I attached an installation file for those daredevils that can not wait. Note that I only played with it for several minutes! I consider it unstable software and there is a chance that you need to re-install the firmware.

For those that I did not scare away. There are two 'installation'-files:
Install KeyBoardHack: to install the changed firmware file and the layout files
Update KeyBoard: untested!! script that stops the keyboard driver copies a new layout-file and restarts the keyboard driver. This can be used if you want to change the content of the keymap.xml file yourself. (I did not do this myself, so the script may not work.)
If you do want to change the keyboard layout I advise to do this in the emulator first. Note that not all elements in the keymap-file are used at this moment. Error checking for incorrect keymap.xml files is not yet inplace!

Note that the keymap.xml will probably be too big for the DR800 screen, on the DR800 you can use the default_keymap.xml.

The new keyboard layout might look familiar to 'old' DR1000 users...

NOTE AGAIN: THIS IS ONLY A PROOF OF CONCEPT not yet mature enough for daily use.
Source code will be distributed later.
Attached Files
File Type: zip KeyBoardHack-v1.zip (16.3 KB, 698 views)
Old 02-06-2011, 09:39 AM   #10
Mackx
Guru

This version has some minor updates, it also includes a keyboard with Russian characters (for dima_tr). The erkeybd-library changed, so you need to do a 'Install Keyboard Hack'.
The 'Update KeyBoard' now shows a small dialog to select the xml-file (to select the keymap with the Russian characters).

NOTE AGAIN: THIS IS ONLY A PROOF OF CONCEPT not yet mature enough for daily use.
Attached Files
File Type: zip KeyBoardHack-v1.1.zip (18.2 KB, 769 views)
Old 02-07-2011, 04:31 AM   #11
yuri_b
Connoisseur
yuri_b will become famous soon enoughyuri_b will become famous soon enoughyuri_b will become famous soon enoughyuri_b will become famous soon enoughyuri_b will become famous soon enoughyuri_b will become famous soon enough

Check it.
Third layout not accessible. I can switch only 2 layouts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-QEMU-3.png
Views:	692
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	66258  
Old 02-07-2011, 04:54 AM   #12
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Check it.
Third layout not accessible. I can switch only 2 layouts.
Did you install the correct layout (I see that you installed the new library)?

Last edited by Mackx; 02-07-2011 at 04:57 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:26 AM   #13
yuri_b
Connoisseur

OK
It seems to work.
A bit big for DR800

Thanks
Old 02-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #14
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
A bit big for DR800
But you can now make your own ...

(Start with default_keymap.xml)
Old 02-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #15
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
works fine for me on DR800SG
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote