Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-18-2013, 04:51 PM   #10861
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Sorry, I forgot I posed a question.
The title in English is The Makioka Sisters by Junichiro Tanizaki and the original title is Sasameyuki which means gentle snow fall.
It always struck me as a tad odd how the title was changed.
So I take a break from looking at this thread and two of my favorite books by a couple of my favorite authors are the answer to quiz questions. It actually surprises me that the original title of The Makioka Sisters was a "gentle snow fall" in English. I would have thought more likely something to do with cherry blossoms.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:52 AM   #10862
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Sounds to me like you were opening a Swedish milk carton, but I doubt that is what you are asking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Sounds to me like someone new to milking a cow learning how to do it.
Yes, milking a cow.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #10863
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
So I take a break from looking at this thread and two of my favorite books by a couple of my favorite authors are the answer to quiz questions. It actually surprises me that the original title of The Makioka Sisters was a "gentle snow fall" in English. I would have thought more likely something to do with cherry blossoms.
Sasameyuki 細雪 is actually a very poetic title. Something completely lost in the translation.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #10864
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I think it might be my turn. Let's have a quick one:

How can 6 x 9 = 42?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #10865
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I think it might be my turn. Let's have a quick one:

How can 6 x 9 = 42?
It was Douglas Adams' maths homework?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #10866
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not the answer I'm looking for, although your have identified the inspiration for the question.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #10867
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Easy! Just take away 12 after you finish the multiplication!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #10868
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I think that the answer is that it's true in a certain base - although I am not numerate enough to work out what base that is right now.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:29 AM   #10869
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I think that the answer is that it's true in a certain base - although I am not numerate enough to work out what base that is right now.
Good point! If the point is to switch base, then it's base 13
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #10870
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
6x9 = 54 (decimal, base of 10)
convert them to base of 13:
6-->6
9-->9
54-->42
voilà.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #10871
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Yes, Iznogood has the answer, even though maianhvk wrote it out nicely.

6x9=42 in base 13.

Over to you, Iznogood.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #10872
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
I think Bilbo should get the credit for the correct answer. I had never thought of changing base without Bilbos suggestion - I only did the math. So Bilbo can ask the next question
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #10873
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iznogood View Post
I think Bilbo should get the credit for the correct answer. I had never thought of changing base without Bilbos suggestion - I only did the math. So Bilbo can ask the next question
Thanks.

I'm just about to set off for home from work and I then need to move furniture around at home. I'll happily set a question, but it'll be a few hours. If anybody wants to scoot in ahead of me, feel free.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #10874
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iznogood View Post
Good point! If the point is to switch base, then it's base 13
I remember when I discovered that and thought I was a genius—then I discovered that a whole army of Adams fans had discovered it before me and I didn't feel so special.

For the record, Adams said it was just a coincidence that it worked out that way in base 13. His intention was to write something humorous and off the wall. That it turned out to be mathematically accurate was purely serendipitous.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #10875
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I remember when I discovered that and thought I was a genius—then I discovered that a whole army of Adams fans had discovered it before me and I didn't feel so special.

For the record, Adams said it was just a coincidence that it worked out that way in base 13. His intention was to write something humorous and off the wall. That it turned out to be mathematically accurate was purely serendipitous.
It was a one in three to one in four chance of an integer base

36 : 6x9 in base 16
37 : no integer base solution
38 : no integer base solution
39 : 6x9 in base 15
40 : no integer base solution
41 : no integer base solution
42 : 6x9 in base 13
43 : no integer base solution
44 : no integer base solution
45 : no integer base solution
46 : 6x9 in base 12