Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #16
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Oops, missed the edit. Not sure where the 'fixed' jailbreak package with the workaround for the 'can't exit' thing is hidden though... The wiki? (Is there actually one with the proper scripts for 4.1.0?)

EDIT: Or, yeah, what GM said ^^
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:34 PM   #17
Mantis
Mantis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 (Black Edition)
When I run the "Run in" test I get:

user sw md5sum error, update again

Operator test suite seems to run okay I think. When I try to disable diagnostics I get:

device_info.xml not found
(Run Device Setting.)
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:42 PM   #18
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The "Device Setting" used to be the first test on the main menu. Find it and run it to create the missing file (like it says). That file is needed to disable diags.

EDIT: Alternatively, you can export USB from the diags menu, and create the missing "diagnostic_logs/device_info.xml" file on the shared USB drive from the host PC.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-13-2012 at 11:45 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:34 AM   #19
Redime
Redime began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
Edit: Okay, I can see a different thread for screensavers without jailbreak needed. We have a problem, though. I can't exit diagnostic mode. Every time I try or try to reboot, it appears to be doing so but always takes me back to this damn diag screen.
Could you point me to this thread? I have exactly the same problem, and most methods require the SSH connection, which I won't get
Redime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:01 AM   #20
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Redime/Mantis: Don't. You won't be able to do it on the K4B anyway, but, just, please, for the sake of my sanity, don't. You'll get bitten in the ass next time an official update comes round if you go this way, and it'll make me sad all over again ;'(.

Just jailbreak it properly (Method #3) .

With the addendum that GM just added to his previous post if you can't exit the Diags mode properly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post

EDIT: Alternatively, you can export USB from the diags menu, and create the missing "diagnostic_logs/device_info.xml" file on the shared USB drive from the host PC.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-14-2012 at 07:05 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #21
Redime

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Just jailbreak it properly (Method #3) .
Done, thanks!
And just to be clear: Can I now just copy/paste the following into runme.sh to get custom screensavers?
Code:
mntroot rw
mkdir /mnt/us/screensaver
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/base-mmc
mv /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800 /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800.old
ln -sfn /mnt/us/screensaver /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800
mntroot ro
Edit: Or should I follow this tutorial? It seems to be for Kindle Touch though.

Last edited by Redime; 09-14-2012 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:21 AM   #22
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Redmine: *sadface*

SS hack => https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88004 (The doc is slightly outdated, AFAIK, there's no issue on the K4).
Old 09-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #23
Redime

It seems as though the jailbreak didn't work. I tried it several times, even starting with method #1, copying RUNME.sh as suggested elsewhere, but to no avail, every time I try to install the hack I get the 007 error. The jailbreaks in your thread seem to be for <4.1.
I can't do anything manually as I only get connection refused if I try to connect via ssh (both on Windows and on Linux).

I have the new black Kindle with 4.1.0, it was delivered on wednesday and is my first kindle, so sorry for the inconvenience.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #24
Mantis
Mantis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 (Black Edition)
Thanks guys, I successfully exited diag mode. I think I'll hold back on the jailbreaking for now though. Custom screensavers are cool, but not that cool, and there isn't a whole lot else I'd want to hack it for going by what I've seen. But, as with Redlime, if any tutorials are released for 4.1.0 I may go ahead with it.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #25
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Redime: As I said, doc outdated. There's no K4 Jailbreak in my thread. The K4 JB is there, and the only method still working on FW 4.1 is the third one.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #26
Redime

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Redime: As I said, doc outdated. There's no K4 Jailbreak in my thread. The K4 JB is there, and the only method still working on FW 4.1 is the third one.
Ah, yes, it seems that I have used the wrong package. I tried it again with the files at the end of the blog entry and got a loading screen stating "Jailbreak - Please wait while your kindle is being freed", thanks!
Old 09-14-2012, 11:45 PM   #27
spitecho
spitecho began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4NT Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnagingercat View Post
As I have Linux terminal experience, I figured out how to get shell access the hard way.
What's the hard way to get shell access? I've tried ssh, telnet and serial connection, but haven't gotten anything to work with the newest non-touch Kindle.
spitecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:33 AM   #28
JSH000
JSH000 began at the beginning.

Device: K4B w/ SO ($69), 4.1.0
Hello Everyone:

I'm a total noob amateur, and I don't want to threadjack, but my question/problem seems related.

I have a new black K4NT w/ special offers running 4.1.0 and Tequila version 1.0.6.210.

I tried to jailbreak it yesterday by following Yifan method 3.

Initially, I tried to enable diags by creating a text file w/ that name and adding it to the root directory, but this didn't work.

I came across a youtube video that copied the 0 byte "DONT_HALT_ON_REPAIR" file, and renamed it "ENABLE_DIAGS" to enter diagnostics. I did this: I successfully entered diagnostics.

Aside from this deviation, I've followed steps 1 - 14 exactly.

Unfortunately, when I try to exit diags (per step 14), I receive a "device_info.xml not found" message, and can't exit.

I feel like a total idiot, and would sincerely appreciate any advice anyone could offer.
JSH000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:36 AM   #29
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Use the appropriate diags menu entry to create that file .
It is either the first or second, I do not recall the details from earlier posts.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #30
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH000 View Post
Hello Everyone:

I'm a total noob amateur, and I don't want to threadjack, but my question/problem seems related.

I have a new black K4NT w/ special offers running 4.1.0 and Tequila version 1.0.6.210.

I tried to jailbreak it yesterday by following Yifan method 3.

Initially, I tried to enable diags by creating a text file w/ that name and adding it to the root directory, but this didn't work.

I came across a youtube video that copied the 0 byte "DONT_HALT_ON_REPAIR" file, and renamed it "ENABLE_DIAGS" to enter diagnostics. I did this: I successfully entered diagnostics.

Aside from this deviation, I've followed steps 1 - 14 exactly.

Unfortunately, when I try to exit diags (per step 14), I receive a "device_info.xml not found" message, and can't exit.

I feel like a total idiot, and would sincerely appreciate any advice anyone could offer.
If running windows, you may have created ENABLE_DIAGS.txt (or some other hidden file extension). It helps a LOT if you tell windows to NOT hide file extensions.

The second "deviation" is a hacky workaround for windows not showing file extensions.

I just answered a question about the "device_info.xml not found" in another thread yesterday...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote