Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-29-2012, 02:42 AM   #991
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
I'm starting to think I might upgrade to 2.1.1 as the slow page turns are very annoying but as I've never considered a manual update before I have no idea how. Normally I would wait but I'm about to head off for 5 weeks in Europe and I'd love an update before I go.

Could someone please help me with a link to some step by step instructions?
Download the 2.1.1 zip, connect your KT to your computer, and unzip the zip into the .kobo folder inside the KT. Then eject the KT and disconnect it. It will restart and update itself for you.

That means, the 2.1.1 zip will contain KoboRoot.tgz, manifest.md5sum, and the "upgrade" folder. All three go next to everything that already is in the .kobo folder.

Note: if you're on a Mac, the .kobo folder will be hidden. You can open it by selecting the "Go" menu from the finder, then "Go to folder..." near the bottom of the menu. Type "/Volumes/KOBOeReader/.kobo" into the field you get and hit "Go".
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:56 AM   #992
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I can't comment on the reset behaviour as I can't get 2.1.1 installed on my Touch, but I am curious about the rest.

What do you mean by this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
While this might be an advantage for me when I copy an updated copy of a book to the KT since it would save me the trouble of having to power off/power on after deleting a book I am going to replace
Are you saying that if you have a book on the device and want to replace it with an updated version you:

- Delete the book using the Touch
- Power off the Touch and power it on again
- Connect to the computer and copy the book over

If so, what firmware version were you using? And how did you come to that sequence of step? And why?

I can see one reason. With FW 2.0.x, there is an issue if you delete using the Touch and then try and put another copy of the book on. A WiFi or desktop app sync between these steps will fix this. My quick test of power off and on didn't.

But, if you are updating a the version of an epub, you don't need to delete the book first. Replacing the book will do a lot of this, depending on the firmware version and the changes.

With FW 1.9.17, replacing the file worked fine unless there were major structure changes. In this case, you could get a reboot when reading the book. But generally, you could read, but navigating via the TOC didn't work. So, fixing spelling or the style sheet would be OK.

With FW 2.0.0, replacing the book usually caused to be deleted when the Touch started up.

With FW 2.0.2, it was mainly back to the 1.9.17 status. But, some changes, such as the title, could get it deleted.

I am running FW 2.0.2 now. When I delete a book using the Touch, I can't replace it until I do a WiFi or a desktop sync. If I try, it gets ignored when I disconnect the Touch. If I delete it from calibre, I can replace it straight away.

If you saw a behaviour different to this, I am interested in what it was. Or if I have the details wrong, correct me. Getting this right will help me with some other things I am doing.

Quote:
Weird and wonderful toys, these ereaders...
I suspect you were being polite when you said that.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:19 AM   #993
guma
Connoisseur
guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyproy View Post
it's just a shame navigating back to the home page from anywhere else still takes an absolute age. Minutes still crawl by until I can do anything once I hit the home button, at least I have time to make a cup of tea..
This seems to depend on the number of books loaded on the device. In my experience everything works fairly fast unless you put more than about 200 books on the kobo.
guma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:08 AM   #994
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyproy View Post
As someone with a lot of side loaded epubs 2.1.1 represents a huge leap forward towards enjoying the same UI speeds as 1.9.17..
it's just a shame navigating back to the home page from anywhere else still takes an absolute age. Minutes still crawl by until I can do anything once I hit the home button, at least I have time to make a cup of tea..
Mine isn't quite that slow, but it has gone from being ~10 seconds to ~40. Also bringing up the Annotations box is very slow now - ~20s - at least a doubling of the time previously. (I have about 200 books on the KT main memory).

Another oddity is that the underlining of words is gone when long-pressing. The dictionary comes up, but no underline.

Oh, and the KT hung once yesterday, which it hasn't previously (no response from any of combination of Power and Home switches). Simply connecting it to a usb power source (not the computer) cured it.

Last edited by Peakcrew; 08-29-2012 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Further detail
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:09 AM   #995
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
I've updated to 2.1.1 now and the page turns are much faster.

Thanks for the instructions. I had read several times about dropping the files into the Kobo but I thought it couldn't be that easy and there must be several complicated steps I was missing.

No it really is that simple.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:40 AM   #996
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
I've updated to 2.1.1 now and the page turns are much faster.

Thanks for the instructions. I had read several times about dropping the files into the Kobo but I thought it couldn't be that easy and there must be several complicated steps I was missing.

No it really is that simple.
And I've upgraded too. After updating to 2.0 when it was first released I rolled back to 1.9.17 because the page turn on 2.0 was so slow. But it's back to normal now with the latest version - and like Harleyb, the manual update was easy.

The only issue I ran into was that I couldn't add shelves - but I signed out of my account then signed back in again and that was solved (although it then had to re-sync all my books).

Thanks all for the help on this.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:53 AM   #997
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I upgraded to 2.1.1. Page turns are much faster (I only read side loaded epubs). Thank you, thank you, thank you Kobo.

Getting back to the home screen is slow, as usual. I have ~10 books on the reader, and it takes 4 seconds.

Anyone notice a difference with dead taps? I've read for about 2 hours, and I had very few dead taps.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #998
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urdu View Post
Well, I avoid returning to the home page because it takes between 1 to several minutes on my Kobo with 700mb free memory and no memory card. Same thing happens when finishing a book. So far this happens on every KT I have seen.
I haven't seen this, but I have noticed that it takes a really long time to load some cover images. I had a particular problem with Willow Pattern, the Australian 24-hour ebook (which was free, at the time, but doesn't seem to be now). Maybe if you have a problem image on your home page?
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #999
kaikara
Zealot
kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I upgraded to 2.1.1. Page turns are much faster (I only read side loaded epubs). Thank you, thank you, thank you Kobo.

Getting back to the home screen is slow, as usual. I have ~10 books on the reader, and it takes 4 seconds.

Anyone notice a difference with dead taps? I've read for about 2 hours, and I had very few dead taps.
Same with me getting back to the home screen.. I normally only keep 20-40 books on the reader at a time and delete them once they are read.

Page turns are way faster with 2.1.1
kaikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #1000
wondergirl
wondergirl began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
I joined today after reading Mrs_Often's instructions on manually installing the 2.1.1 firmware update. I am in Canada, and my kobo was bought here. There was absolutely no issues installing this update according to her instructions. AND...faster page turns as compared to the horribly slow 2.00 upgrade! I am happy now. Damn that 2.00 update was horrid! Thank you Mrs_Often.
wondergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #1001
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl View Post
I joined today after reading Mrs_Often's instructions on manually installing the 2.1.1 firmware update. I am in Canada, and my kobo was bought here. There was absolutely no issues installing this update according to her instructions. AND...faster page turns as compared to the horribly slow 2.00 upgrade! I am happy now. Damn that 2.00 update was horrid! Thank you Mrs_Often.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #1002
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
Well, just downloaded 2.1.1 and unzipped it into the .kobo folder.

5 mins later and I'm getting the little squares thing, now got "Release Notes" pages, (11 of them!).

Oh I see, the other 10 are for previous releases and stuff.

Wow, page turns are fast aren't they.

I bought my Kobo and it was updated straight away to 2.0.0 and so I was happy with the page turns.

Now I realise what you guys were missing when going to 2.0.0

Steve
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #1003
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
All this talk of 2.1.1 and the success people are having with manually installing brings me back to one question: If it is such a great firmware with significant improvements over 2.0.0, why hasn't it been widely released yet? As far as I know it was only released in Japan. I know nothing of software/firmware development and was just wondering if anyone had any ideas.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #1004
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
Maybe they just want problems with one country rather than the world.

Who knows, the battery life might be 4 hours

Steve
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #1005
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
Well, there were so many good outcomes I jumped on the 2.1.1 bandwagon and yes add one more happy customer. Page turns are back into the original zone but I think it takes a bit longer to open a new book, but not too much longer. I have about 140 - 150 books in RAM.
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote