Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 04-08-2010, 10:03 PM   #1
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Coolreader (new firmware) not saving place when you exit

When I am reading an ePub using Coolreader, exit, and go back into it, it goes back to the start again. Also, bookmarks are gone.

This is not the directory space issue - this book has been working fine using the Adobe software in the earlier firmware. Think I need to go back to it
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:45 AM   #2
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

After a lot of trial and error, I found the problem. It's not spaces, but other characters, like commas and ampersands, that stop it working if they are present in the filename. I think it's because Coolreader stores the info info in XML in a .cr3hist file, and the funny characters upset the XML.

Now I wouldn't normally use characters like this in a filename, but some sites like Baen publishing, do! So beware. They also use single and double quotes, and even exclamation marks - don't know how many of them will cause you to lose you place and your bookmarks either (it doesn't warn you when you start reading the book, so you only find out the next time you open it).

Just an aside, Coolreader's choice of putting all bookmarks in a single file is a bit inconvenient. If nothing else, it means you could lose everything at once, and you can't move your bookmarks with your book to another computer.

Last edited by jusmee; 04-09-2010 at 02:48 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:40 AM   #3
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Just an aside, Coolreader's choice of putting all bookmarks in a single file is a bit inconvenient. If nothing else, it means you could lose everything at once, and you can't move your bookmarks with your book to another computer.
I seriously doubt that Jinke/Hanlin have any special input into CoolReader development, and Astak even less so. If you would like to report CoolReader bugs or make suggestions for improvements it would probably be better to enter them into CoolReader Engine's bug tracking system, where buggins may actually see them.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/crengine/support
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:47 AM   #4
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I seriously doubt that Jinke/Hanlin have any special input into CoolReader development, and Astak even less so. If you would like to report CoolReader bugs or make suggestions for improvements it would probably be better to enter them into CoolReader Engine's bug tracking system, where buggins may actually see them.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/crengine/support
Oh sure, I was just reporting what I found to the people I know here.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:08 AM   #5
jusmee
Wizard

One thing further, the same problem occurs in the lbook beta firmware.

My, that lbook firmware is PRETTY. Very professional looking and easy on the eyes.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:13 AM   #6
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh sure, I was just reporting what I found to the people I know here.
OK, understood!

Most of the active discussion that I have seen regarding CoolReader development seems to be occurring on www.the-ebook.org and the author Vadim Lopatin (buggins) seems to be actively involved there. Unfortunately, for some of us anyway, the discussions seem to be all in the Russian language. I have been following them with the help of translate.google.com, but I can not participate that way. The only reason that I mentioned making a bug report at the source forge site, is that site is in English. On the down side, the source forge site does not seem to be anywhere near as active as the-ebook.org.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:37 AM   #7
jusmee
Wizard

Yeah, I reported this bug, but it's one of only two. I wonder if he'll notice it
Old 04-09-2010, 04:12 AM   #8
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Yeah, I reported this bug, but it's one of only two. I wonder if he'll notice it

I find the lbook firmware easy on the eyes. It does not Coolreader does not seem to like my .epub.fb2 trick but no matter. it reads my rtf and txt files.

U R rite Jusmee it is very good looking on the eyes and my user fonts work well with it. Also, the CW enjine font sizes are more to my liking.

hidari
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:48 AM   #9
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
It does not Coolreader does not seem to like my .epub.fb2 trick but no matter.
hidari
At first, I had some problems with the formatting of EPUB documents when I viewed them in the Lbook CoolReader by using .epub.fb2. Is that the kind of problem that you are referring to?

EPUB documents have their own built-in CSS files, and CoolReader will honor the document's CSS if it is in the EPUB file. I found that the built-in CSS on some EPUB books did not look very good in CoolReader. My solution was to tell CoolReader to disregard the EPUB CSS and use the CSS styles that I had configured in CoolReader instead. That has worked out pretty well for me.

If you want to try it yourself, go to page two of the settings menu in the Lbook CoolReader. Set "Preformatted text" and "Document Embedded Styles" to OFF. I do not know if both are necessary, but that is what I am using. The default for those two settings is ON, but I turned them both to OFF. The first time that you do that, you have to exit the book and then reload the book for those settings to go into effect.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:53 AM   #10
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
At first, I had some problems with the formatting of EPUB documents when I viewed them in the Lbook CoolReader by using .epub.fb2. Is that the kind of problem that you are referring to?

EPUB documents have their own built-in CSS files, and CoolReader will honor the document's CSS if it is in the EPUB file. I found that the built-in CSS on some EPUB books did not look very good in CoolReader. My solution was to tell CoolReader to disregard the EPUB CSS and use the CSS styles that I had configured in CoolReader instead. That has worked out pretty well for me.

If you want to try it yourself, go to page two of the settings menu in the Lbook CoolReader. Set "Preformatted text" and "Document Embedded Styles" to OFF. I do not know if both are necessary, but that is what I am using. The default for those two settings is ON, but I turned them both to OFF. The first time that you do that, you have to exit the book and then reload the book for those settings to go into effect.
Ta thanks for the tip... Will try that tomorrow.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:01 AM   #11
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks, I only had one of them turned off. Looks even better now.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:09 AM   #12
jusmee
Wizard

Here's another improvement. Set the hyphenation to English-GB (maybe English-US works too. By default it is Russian-EnUS and you get things like

Quote:
ca-
ll
with the changed setting it doesn't hyphenate "call"
Old 04-09-2010, 06:10 AM   #13
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Here's another improvement. Set the hyphenation to English-GB (maybe English-US works too. By default it is Russian-EnUS and you get things like

with the changed setting it doesn't hyphenate "call"
Thanks for that tip!!!! I had completely forgotten that hyphenation had to be setup for English since I have had hyphenation set to OFF for a while now.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:31 PM   #14
baszar
baszar began at the beginning.

Device: bebook mini (Hanlin v5)
Hi all - this is my first post.

I had similar problem when I installed lbook software on my bebook mini. It turned out that I didn't have enough free space on the SD card. Coolreader uses big amount of space (~2 times the size of file) for cache.
baszar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:49 AM   #15
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by baszar View Post
Hi all - this is my first post.

I had similar problem when I installed lbook software on my bebook mini. It turned out that I didn't have enough free space on the SD card. Coolreader uses big amount of space (~2 times the size of file) for cache.
Welcome!

The caching system is a new feature of CoolReader, and it still needs some work. I have seen on the-ebook.org that Buggins has made some further improvements concerning the cache for a future release. CoolReader never seems to delete cache files when the they are no longer needed ( ie. the book has been deleted), so you need to clear the cache yourself from time to time or the cache folder will just keep increasing in size.