Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-26-2023, 10:16 AM   #1
rodrigojds
rodrigojds began at the beginning.

Device: kobo clara hd
Kobo Clara HD screen frozen

Hi everyone,
Sorry if this query has been previously made but I couldnt find anything relevant after searching.

So I purchased a second hand Kobo Clara HD where the seller claimed that the screen froze after an update. I thought I could buy it and reinstall the OS on the flash drive and get it to boot.

I received it and noticed that the screen has a round I/O button with a slash through and below it are three dots. Please see the attached photo.

Pressing the bottom button shows that it has power. I removed the back and then I removed the SD card. Tried rebooting but the screen doesnt change. I even tried unplugging the battery and the screen continues to display the same I/O circle with the three dots. I also removed and reinstalled the flex cables.

I cant see any physical damage to the screen. No matter what I do, I cant seem to make the screen change in any way.

Does anybody know what this means? Could it mean that the screen itself is broken?

Thank you for any replies and clarification.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (1).jpg
Views:	128
Size:	547.2 KB
ID:	199255   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	199256  

Last edited by rodrigojds; 01-26-2023 at 10:17 AM. Reason: correcting a few mistakes
rodrigojds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 10:20 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
it usually means updating so do not turn off. i guess the previous owner turned it off anyway !
the screen is probably fine, the state of the update - not so fine.
screen will continue to show last the state it was set to , until fresh data is sent to it - that's why removing battery makes no difference

wait for a 2nd opinion buy maybe reformat and reinstall kobo software to Sd card is the fix.

Last edited by stumped; 01-26-2023 at 10:22 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2023, 02:33 AM   #3
rodrigojds
rodrigojds began at the beginning.

Device: kobo clara hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
it usually means updating so do not turn off. i guess the previous owner turned it off anyway !
the screen is probably fine, the state of the update - not so fine.
screen will continue to show last the state it was set to , until fresh data is sent to it - that's why removing battery makes no difference

wait for a 2nd opinion buy maybe reformat and reinstall kobo software to Sd card is the fix.

Hi again, That actually worked! Reinstalling the kobo software resolved the issue and its like new! Got a Clara HD for 20 euros

thank you
rodrigojds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 11:16 PM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigojds View Post
Hi again, That actually worked! Reinstalling the kobo software resolved the issue and its like new! Got a Clara HD for 20 euros
Nice pickup! Congrats and happy reading.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 02:56 PM   #5
josemariamv
josemariamv began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Hi friends. I have a similar problem. Mi Kobo Clara HD is bricked after last firmware update. Any guide to reinstalling the kobo software and a original image for it?
Thanks in advance,
josemariamv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2023, 03:14 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by josemariamv View Post
Hi friends. I have a similar problem. Mi Kobo Clara HD is bricked after last firmware update. Any guide to reinstalling the kobo software and a original image for it?
Thanks in advance,
Before you can get a firmware image, you need to go to the feedback forum and request private messages be activated for you.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 06:10 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
@josemariamv

PM sent

@JSWolf

Jon, MYOB...
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clara hd, kobo, screen