Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-22-2022, 02:49 PM   #1
bookish_1
bookish_1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Nia
Half frozen/broken screen?

Hi,

I have a Kobo Nia eReader 8GB Black with eInk Carta 6" Touch Screen. Half the screen is frozen to the sleep/book cover display and is unresponsive. The other half seems to be working fine. See below for photo. I tried a factory reset but it didn't help. (That's why the bottom half in the photo is in setup mode.)

Any suggestions?

I ordered this on eBay so I don't think it's covered by warranty. But because it's frozen, I'm not able to view the warranty information on the device. I would also appreciate it if anyone knows how to access the warranty information via the desktop app and/or poking around in the device's storage volume from my desktop.

Thanks!

The colossal image was too big for the forum software to resize. Please resize it at the source. And read the guidelines about image size before posting again.

Last edited by issybird; 11-22-2022 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Colossal image deleted.
bookish_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 03:51 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When you got the Nia, was it OK? The warranty doesn't cover breaking the screen.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2022, 04:06 PM   #3
bookish_1

It was not broken when I got it. The screen is frozen, so it seems like it could be a software issue. There was no sharp impact to the screen or anything like that.

Here's the image which didn't work in my first post:

Last edited by issybird; 11-22-2022 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Colossal image deleted again.
Old 11-22-2022, 05:53 PM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I’ve deleted your beyond huge image twice. It’s too big to be resized with the MobileRead software. Please read the guidelines about image size, resize your image, and then repost.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 06:57 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookish_1 View Post
It was not broken when I got it. The screen is frozen, so it seems like it could be a software issue. There was no sharp impact to the screen or anything like that.

Here's the image which didn't work in my first post:
Just attach the image and then we can see it.
Advert
Old 11-23-2022, 01:00 PM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I happened to catch the image before it was deleted, and it definitely shows a cracked screen. It's the curved line towards the upper left side. I didn't check the rest of the image after seeing that part.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 01:26 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Since the screen is broken, there's almost nothing you can do with your Nia except replace it. Yes you could try to replace the screen, but are you up to something like that?
Old 11-23-2022, 06:06 PM   #8
bookish_1

Got it, sorry I didn't understand how the image posts work in these forums.

Kobo is replacing the device since they were able to check the warranty status on their end and it turns out it's under warranty.
Old 11-23-2022, 10:35 PM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookish_1 View Post
Got it, sorry I didn't understand how the image posts work in these forums.

Kobo is replacing the device since they were able to check the warranty status on their end and it turns out it's under warranty.
You're very lucky getting a warranty replacement for obvious physical damage. That's excluded from the warranty
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken, frozen, screen