Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2018, 01:14 AM   #1
Thorned Rose
Thorned Rose began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O2 (H2O v2)
Unhappy Screen replacement problems

I am looking to replace a broken screen on my H2O. I have watched this video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bffxKvz9RhA

And this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj4mvkpgGXg

My problem is that neither of them shows how to get off the 'scallop edge' plastic frame.

When I tried to remove the plastic front as in the first video, only the top came away (as in the second video)

You can see in photo 2-4 that the 'scallop edge' plastic surround is still there. I'm pointing to it in photo 2. In the first video it is part of the front.

In my case, it seems to be stuck to the screen and I can't see how to get it off. The screen is rather spectacularly broken and is crunching around a fair bit when I pull on the remaining black plastic.

I tried taking out the 6 screws that hold the motherboard on but they don't seem to make any difference for getting the rest of the black bezel off.

Does anyone know of any better tutorials or videos that show how to seperate the screen from the bezel fully or can anyone tell me how to do that?

Also, the number on the screen's flex cable is -2.13 but the closest replacement screen I can find says -2.14 (same model number). I read that this may be the waveform number? Will it matter being different by .01?

TIA!
Thorned Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:14 AM   #2
mahtin
google this
mahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: kobo h2o2, bookeen muse frontlight, resurrected. Fire HD8.
You might like to look at this
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Kobo+Au...lacement/96135

A comment claims (the Kobo Aura HD uses the exact same screen as the Kobo Aura H2O).

Can't say from experience myself.
mahtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:53 PM   #3
Thorned Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahtin View Post
You might like to look at this
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Kobo+Au...lacement/96135

A comment claims (the Kobo Aura HD uses the exact same screen as the Kobo Aura H2O).

Can't say from experience myself.
Unfortunately the Aura HD doesn't seem to have the same scallop edge plastic surround as the H2O has
Old 10-10-2018, 12:05 PM   #4
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Ouch. The front bezel should NOT come apart.

The H2O is waterproof and that waterproofness is courtesy of glue all around. So - it's glued to the display, or light layer I guess - you just have to pull it off. Very carefully so

Posted my own experience when I opened mine to get at the internal SD card slot:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=40
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=46

Can't help you with the screen replacement issue, as I've never replaced mine.

Last edited by frostschutz; 10-10-2018 at 12:14 PM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:41 PM   #5
Thorned Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Ouch. The front bezel should NOT come apart.

The H2O is waterproof and that waterproofness is courtesy of glue all around. So - it's glued to the display, or light layer I guess - you just have to pull it off. Very carefully so

Posted my own experience when I opened mine to get at the internal SD card slot:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=40
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=46

Can't help you with the screen replacement issue, as I've never replaced mine.
Thanks frostschutz, that's really helpful! The first video I was going by seemed to indicate separating the front bezel by inserting a guitar pick all the way in till it stopped. Which I did. What I did not realise it that doing this actually separated the front plate from the surround (and that scallop edge surround). I still can't fathom how I could get the front plate and the bezel off at the same time with part of that scallop plastic stuck to the screen. Even with that front plate off, I haven't been able to work out how to get the rest of the bezel unstuck. I know the screen is completely smashed so I don't have to worry about breaking it, but my attempts so far have caused the whole thing to flex (incl. motherboard) quite a lot. :/

I think my mistake was that I need to get something under the bezel on the inside (between the screen and the bezel) not just around the outer edge?

Even if I still get a replacement screen, given the bezel is glued to the glass, I'm not sure how I could reassemble it successfully.
Given the number of sales of replacement screens, it's clearly possible so I would dearly love to know how to do that properly. I just can find nothing specifically on replacing the screen.
I will try getting it apart more later. It's not like I have much more to lose

Last edited by Thorned Rose; 10-11-2018 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:49 PM   #6
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You don't even need any tools, you can pull the front bezel off just using your hands / fingernails. and it shouldn't come apart when doing so

I don't really agree with those youtube videos, the one that takes the bezel apart is obviously wrong, the guitar pick that says "you can be as harsh as you want", when obviously you should be careful. the touchscreen functionality depends on the bezel, break it and the device is nearly useless

You can try to apply warmth in hopes of softening the glue. I opened mine the day I got it, no idea if the glue would dry out / harden even more over time. The main problem is there's quite a lot of this glue all around. :-/
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bezel, broken display, broken screen, screen