Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-18-2011, 02:51 PM   #106
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbible View Post
Does anyone know when Amazon will support personal documents for iPhone and Desktop versions of Kindle?
They've only said that they hope to have support for this "soon".
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:02 AM   #107
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
@tomsem: yep, in fact every file type other than PDF (if not converted) is converted into AZW.. nevertheless, some mobi's (not all of them) were not registered as "in the cloud" properly (and haven't after deleting and resending). They were downloadable but not removed from the "Archived Items" for reasons unknown to me.

@Blossom: What I do not like about the Calibre conversion is that it is so far from the standard (admitted my kovid and staff, there are threads about it) that indexing does not function properly or the indexes are somehow messed up on the Kindle so that with many dictionaries on the Kindle (I have a big selection of Oxford mobi dicts that a bought prior to Kindle, nice reference material) which themselves are indexed somehow, dictionary lookups with Calibre mobis are considerably slower for me (sometimes up to five seconds) than with mobs created with Kindle Previewer (albeit the latter being much bigger in file size) or books purchased from Amazon.
Kovid answered some of my questions about this and didn't seem to think anything calibre is doing would interfere. But hopefully he or some of the other developers will be poking around to make sure.

If you don't like what calibre (or want to see what it does), turn on debug mode and look at the intermediate HTML files that will be left around. Then you can edit and build mobi from those.

In any case, no automatic conversion should be considered 'commercial grade', though evidently a lot of big publishers just have their epub files run through kindlegen. The most obvious artifact of this is where chapter navigation only hits the top level, e.g. 'Part 1, Part 2, etc.' rather than all the chapters in between.

You might also want to look for a python script named 'kindlestrip'. It will significantly reduce the file sizes of mobi generated by kindlegen/kindle previewer, by removing the source files archived in the file. Or just send them to Amazon to put in your PD library, they strip the source archive (if there's one in there) before storing it.

Someday I hope amazon will add .epub to the formats that the conversion service handles.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-19-2011 at 12:07 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2011, 11:11 AM   #108
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Kovid answered some of my questions about this and didn't seem to think anything calibre is doing would interfere. But hopefully he or some of the other developers will be poking around to make sure.

If you don't like what calibre (or want to see what it does), turn on debug mode and look at the intermediate HTML files that will be left around. Then you can edit and build mobi from those.

In any case, no automatic conversion should be considered 'commercial grade', though evidently a lot of big publishers just have their epub files run through kindlegen. The most obvious artifact of this is where chapter navigation only hits the top level, e.g. 'Part 1, Part 2, etc.' rather than all the chapters in between.

You might also want to look for a python script named 'kindlestrip'. It will significantly reduce the file sizes of mobi generated by kindlegen/kindle previewer, by removing the source files archived in the file. Or just send them to Amazon to put in your PD library, they strip the source archive (if there's one in there) before storing it.

Someday I hope amazon will add .epub to the formats that the conversion service handles.
Thanks for your answer!
About the problem, maybe it is gone, maybe it isn't (and the threads about it maybe long buried), I have my routine now and am sure that kindlegen always does what I want (and that doesn't mean I don't like calibre, it's awesome). I'm not using python so I'm not using kindlestrip but it's ok, the file size really isn't that important to me. And maybe "Personal Documents" helps now anyway keep the file sizes small. And yeah I hope too that someday we'll be able to convert epub to Kindle without much of a hassle via email...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:16 PM   #109
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Did they change how this worked? I got my fire today and went to personal documents and it showed an email address different from the one I have set.

Did they decided to go back to a unique email address for each device?

Also, my personal document storage was empty. I thought I had left some stuff in there when I was playing with it before. But, maybe not.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:30 PM   #110
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Did they change how this worked? I got my fire today and went to personal documents and it showed an email address different from the one I have set.

Also, my personal document storage was empty. I thought I had left some stuff in there when I was playing with it before. But, maybe not.

BOb
The Fire works the old way. No Personal Cloud for it unlike like K3, K4 & KT that do have that feature. That was the first thing I noticed too. The separate email address is what clued me off that it wasn't going to work the new way.

You can however from your MYK page send stuff from your Pdoc cloud to the Fire other then that it works like all the other Kindles did before they gave us the Pdoc cloud.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 11:39 PM   #111
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The Fire works the old way. No Personal Cloud for it unlike like K3, K4 & KT that do have that feature. That was the first thing I noticed too. The separate email address is what clued me off that it wasn't going to work the new way.

You can however from your MYK page send stuff from your Pdoc cloud to the Fire other then that it works like all the other Kindles did before they gave us the Pdoc cloud.
From my reading of the manual on the Fire the "Docs" section is your personal documents. But, it looks like you are right.

Thanks very strange why would they do that... OH, and I was wrong, the books I had there were still there... but it is showing I am using 0.0 space... perhaps the 6 books I have there are too small to register as using any space atm.

BOb
Old 11-17-2011, 11:49 PM   #112
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
From my reading of the manual on the Fire the "Docs" section is your personal documents. But, it looks like you are right.

Thanks very strange why would they do that... OH, and I was wrong, the books I had there were still there... but it is showing I am using 0.0 space... perhaps the 6 books I have there are too small to register as using any space atm.

BOb
Yeah I have like 15 and it says 0% still. You can send them to the Fire from there but the Fire itself does not have access to grab them from within the device. Your Touch does though.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:51 PM   #113
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yeah I have like 15 and it says 0% still. You can send them to the Fire from there but the Fire itself does not have access to grab them from within the device. Your Touch does though.
yes, thanks, everything you say is correct... but you knew that. I sent one to my Fire... and there it is in my carousel and in my "Docs" screen.

Still, seems like they missed the boat here that you can't access pd's from the Fire. Although, you can't from the Cloud Reader or K2PC or K4MAC as far as I know either... so perhaps there is a similar reason.

BOb
Old 11-17-2011, 11:54 PM   #114
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
yes, thanks, everything you say is correct... but you knew that. I sent one to my Fire... and there it is in my carousel and in my "Docs" screen.

Still, seems like they missed the boat here that you can't access pd's from the Fire. Although, you can't from the Cloud Reader or K2PC or K4MAC as far as I know either... so perhaps there is a similar reason.

BOb
I see it being implemented when the Stock Android app gets it. I am thinking after Christmas probably as they want exclusive features for Kindles only right now so they will sell more.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #115
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:

BOb
I've 3 kindle 4 NT's on my account and all 3 have a unique @kindle email address for sending personal docs to. In fact, just checked and if you go to the personal docs settings page you can change the @kindle email to whatever you want (assuming it's not already taken)
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:09 PM   #116
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
I've 3 kindle 4 NT's on my account and all 3 have a unique @kindle email address for sending personal docs to. In fact, just checked and if you go to the personal docs settings page you can change the @kindle email to whatever you want (assuming it's not already taken)
Yes.. sounds like they backtracked on the single email address per account and will retain the unique emails per device.

BOb
Old 11-18-2011, 02:39 PM   #117
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Yes.. sounds like they backtracked on the single email address per account and will retain the unique emails per device.

BOb
I think it only applies to Kindles purchased after Sept 28th. Both my Kindles share an address and if I changed it changes both of them. The Fire is the only that doesn't do that.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #118
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I think it only applies to Kindles purchased after Sept 28th. Both my Kindles share an address and if I changed it changes both of them. The Fire is the only that doesn't do that.
Nope, I don't think so. I recall reading the help based on my message above they used to specifically say you had ONE send to kindle email address. Now, the help says each kindle has a unique send to kindle address.

Here is the current help:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...00728550#pdocs

Each of your Kindle devices is associated with a unique device-specific Send-to-Kindle e-mail address upon registration. Documents sent to this e-mail address are delivered to that specific device. You can view and change the Send-to-Kindle e-mail address associated with your Kindle device in the “Send-to-Kindle E-mail Settings” table.

To change the Send-to-Kindle e-mail address associated with your Kindle, click on “Edit” next to the e-mail address. Enter your preferred e-mail address and click “Update” to complete the change.

---

I am 100% sure that is a change. You even state in message 26 that after Sept 28th all kindles will have a single email address as do I in a previous message.

I tried to look in the Internet Archive for previous pages, but they don't have them.

BOb
Old 11-18-2011, 05:17 PM   #119
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Nope, I don't think so. I recall reading the help based on my message above they used to specifically say you had ONE send to kindle email address. Now, the help says each kindle has a unique send to kindle address.

I am 100% sure that is a change. You even state in message 26 that after Sept 28th all kindles will have a single email address as do I in a previous message.

I tried to look in the Internet Archive for previous pages, but they don't have them.

BOb
You're right! They did change it back. I guess they are slowly fixing it when I got my Fire I couldn't do it but now I can!

I guess sending feedback does work! I sent them a long email about this when I got my K4.

Last edited by Blossom; 11-18-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #120
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Well, I finally emailed all my non amazon purchased ebooks to my Kindle account and they are in my personal document storage. Yeah!

I don't have a lot, 63 ebooks that I have purchased from places other than Amazon. I also didn't add any public domain stuff because I didn't want it to take up my 5GB allocation, I can just "buy" them from Amazon if I want to re-read. They will be on my account but won't count toward my 5GB space.

I do hope they integrate this with Cloud drive so you can add storage space if you need it. However, 5GB is a lot of space for ebooks and I do buy probably 99% of my ebooks from Amazon which are stored for free. But, I'm more likely to buy more cloud drive storage if it allows for more kindle personal doc storage.

A bonus is I can remove these ebooks from Calibre and reclaim back that space. Granted though it is only about 100MB of space.

BOb