Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-23-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
kichigai
kichigai began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Unhappy Screen is broken, looking at options

Well, it seems an ordinary drop is all it takes to break the screen of my PRS-500. The same kind of spill my Nokia N73, BlackBerry 8900 and Nexus S have all taken on the exact same surface (and the Nexus S has a screen made of curved glass).

What, realistically, are my options here? I doubt Sony will bother to repair it, given the age of the PRS-500 (and that it's, what, four generations removed from their current readers?). I've got enough technical know-how to be confident in replacing the screen myself, but I have no idea who are reputable vendors of compatible e-ink screens (Google wasn't exactly helpful either). Or I could just replace it with another reader.

Here's the thing: money situation isn't so flexible right now, and this is just one of a number of set-backs suffered in the past few days (highlights include my phone's screen breaking, and Fitbit has gone missing), so I'm trying to keep costs low. Realistically I only use my Reader for long-form Internet content. Essays, long analytical articles, collections of documents from the Wikipedia, and most recently screenplays and documents for productions I'm working on (sure beats printing out 100+ pages, or reading it all on my laptop). If the cost of a new screen is >$100, I'm just going to throw up my arms and go for a new Reader in the $100-150 range, so any recommendations that fit reading of PDF, RTF and ePub documents well would be welcome.
kichigai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
If funds are limited, consider getting a used Sony PRS-505 or 300 from ebay to keep the costs down. The e-ink screen offers better contrast on these models compared to the 500.
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
It might be worth contacting Sony and see what they say. Sometimes they offer a refurbished unit which is an upgrade at a very reasonable cost.

Or the newer T1s can be found on sale for $89.99 at various times, you might check that out. The PRS-350s are $69.95 right now refurbished at Sony, but you might not like the 5" screen for the content you use.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken screen, prs-500