Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-17-2009, 02:45 AM   #1
p3aul
Captain Courageous
p3aul doesn't litterp3aul doesn't litter

Device: calibre, PRS 505
Exclamation No images when RTF converted to epub

I downloaded Tom Sawyer from PG in several files(8), images were included. I laboriously combined each file in MS word 2003 with images and saved the whole thing as RTF. Calibre converted the file to epub and the TOC was exactly the way I wanted but no images! Aren't images embedded in the RTF file? I expected it to be bigger than a 1/2 MB but it wasn't. If the images were only linked, is there a way to force Word to embed them in RTF?
Thanks,
Paul
p3aul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:28 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Are your images in wmi format (see rtf to lrf, is it possible to have images on lrf?)?

One thing to try is HTML. In Word, use File -> Save As -> Other Formats -> Web Page, Filtered.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2009, 11:38 AM   #3
p3aul
Captain Courageous

No, they were all jpgs. The file was in HTML format to begin with. HTML does *not* work for me. the process is impossibly slow.

I looked at the folder for the files that Calibre creates. there are two files there, an epub file and a rtf file. The rtf is not the one I created. Calibre must have created it but is also minus the images.
Is this a bug? has anyone else hat this problem before?
Thanks,
Paul
Old 04-17-2009, 12:06 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Calibre does not know how to create rtf files, so I would guess you must have accidentally chosen the wrong one when adding the file to calibre.

In terms of speed, I find that rtf conversions are nearly always slower than html ones.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
One thing I've noticed, using the Calibre GUI to do the conversions, is much slower (at least in Windows) than running html2epub directly. I have a php script that calls html2epub and it only takes a few seconds to convert an html file, even those bigger than 1MB.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think as a general rule using the Command Line interface is faster than using the GUI whatever operation you are attempting.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:54 PM   #7
p3aul
Captain Courageous

No I chose the correct file. I transferred the file to my laptop. The same file that I knew had the images. result: No images. apparently RTF does NOT embed the images, just stores a path to the images I guess. I will google to make sure. I'm pretty sure that Word does embed the images. Does anyone know of a plugin to enable calibre to read Doc files before version 2007? Maybe kovid is working on it. Meanwhile my only solution is to create one large HTML file I guess or maybe a PDF.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:49 PM   #8
p3aul
Captain Courageous

OK I saved the document as html. ran any2epub on it and it was very fast(for such a large file). everything worked perfectly.

My advice: create or convert to HTML Use the command line to convert. This was no problem for me. I started with a PC clone under MS-Dos. The GUI is nice for beginners but the real workhorse is the command line I see.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:20 PM   #9
itimpi
Wizard

I always found HTML gave the best resu7lts.

Going back to the RTF option - you can either add images as links or as embedded files - and you should have the option to select how you want them added. This is exactly the same options as word provides for word documents.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:05 PM   #10
p3aul
Captain Courageous

You might have that option but I can't find anywhere the way to choose embedding over linking in either RTF or DOC.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:09 AM   #11
itimpi
Wizard

Just tried it in Word 2000, Word XP, Word 2003 and Word 2007. They all offer this as an option during the process of inserting a picture, but in slightly different ways. Perhaps you need to look in the Help for your version of Word to see how to choose between a link and embedding the file?