Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 07:57 PM   #1
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Er

In the spirit of Stephen King's recent kindle story, or maybe in the anti-spirit, I've started writing my own story that focuses on an e-book reader.

This story is available in the short story collection: "Small Victories" here: http://www.feedbooks.com/userbook/4439

Last edited by Moejoe; 08-20-2009 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Updates
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
PJ....
.....I hate you. =)

That is all.
Quote:
He recalled the books he’d read, or at least started. Never saw Melville’s Whale, never did find out if Poe’s Pendulum reached the poor man’s body, read War, never got to Tolstoy’s Peace.
That's my favorite paragraph. Is there more?
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

There is,. and it should be finished soon enough. I know the ending now, at least, I think I do

Oh, and if you want a great technique for writing, what I use all the time -- blind write everything. Type your first sentence, then switch off your monitor (or cover it up like me if you have a Mac) and then just type away. It's surprising how much you get done and how quickly, with no distractions.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:31 PM   #4
Moejoe
Banned

Updated the story with what I have so far.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:18 AM   #5
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Haha. Eval!

It seems much better than King's already...but then, that may be the distaste I have from Amazon's communist regime
Advert
Old 03-05-2009, 10:07 AM   #6
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
There is,. and it should be finished soon enough. I know the ending now, at least, I think I do

Oh, and if you want a great technique for writing, what I use all the time -- blind write everything. Type your first sentence, then switch off your monitor (or cover it up like me if you have a Mac) and then just type away. It's surprising how much you get done and how quickly, with no distractions.
Whoa! Great idea! I'm going to have to try that!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:21 PM   #7
Moejoe
Banned

Updated
Old 03-05-2009, 07:39 PM   #8
jaxx6166
Wizard

Huzzah!!!!
Old 03-05-2009, 07:42 PM   #9
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Huzzah!!!!

LOL I think I might put this up on Feedbooks when it's finished, see what happens with it once it's out in the wild
Old 03-05-2009, 09:15 PM   #10
jaxx6166
Wizard

Go for it.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:43 AM   #11
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

And when you've switched off your monitor - how many spelling/keyboard errors do you have ....
I liked this .... thanks for sharing ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:57 AM   #12
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post

And when you've switched off your monitor - how many spelling/keyboard errors do you have ....
I liked this .... thanks for sharing ...

Depends on how much fun you're having, and that's not being flippant, it's true. The more fun, the less you think, the less mistakes you make. If you approach it like traditional writing, you'll be too hesitant and worried and make more mistakes. For example the stuff above, and the rest I'll post soonish, took basically 4x15min blind writing sessions, and then an hour or so for correcting flow, spelling mistakes and the like. So around 2-3 hours for a 3000+ word story, and having fun all the way

What blind writing does is force you 'not to care'. At some point whatever you write will have to be edited, but that doesn't have to be your 1st draft. You write it quickly, blind, and then see what you have afterwards on the edit. I picked up the technique from my poetry professor when I was doing my Masters, he also put me on to word-association, both invaluable.

Last edited by Moejoe; 03-06-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:08 PM   #13
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
interesting ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:38 AM   #14
Moejoe
Banned

UPDATE:
Removed

Last edited by Moejoe; 03-20-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:11 AM   #15
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post

UPDATE:
Er is now on Feedbooks. Get it here for all major e-devices http://www.feedbooks.com/userbook/4218
Thank you very much for sharing your story with us!
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote