Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-14-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Surprised they still have Kindle on Amazon homepage

They've had the Kindle on the top of the Amazon homepage since November. This is very valuable real estate. Amazon is making a big investment here. I'm surprised they still have it at the top....and not on the side area....

I just hope this Amazon Kindle makes it.....because I would really really be pissed off if the service wanes and they stop supporting it....because then that means my investment in the Kindle books would be a waste. I buy about 2 books per month on the Kindle. Since I like keeping a library even if it is in electronic form, I would have to repurchase all of these books if the Kindle is a failure. That's not a huge sum of money....but is indeed a pain.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:34 AM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I think it will stay on the main age for quite some time. A lot of people out there yet to learn about ebooks and readers
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2008, 07:43 PM   #3
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Too true. I was having lunch the other day and drew a crowd with my Kindle. It was easy for me to tell them just to go to Amazon.com and look at the ad which should be staring them right in the face at the top of the page.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:47 AM   #4
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
I got the impression that Amazon has put in real effort on the Kindle and is likely to keep pushing it for a while. They know this is a big change in how people read, and they know it will take time to gather speed. I think keeping the Kindle at the top of their home page is part of that project.

Plus, I've bought more Amazon books in the 2 months since I got my Kindle than I did in the six months previous, and I'm trying to be restrained, and checking other vendors for non-DRMed versions first. I bet they are getting a significant jump in bookbuying volume from Kindle owners vs non-Kindle owners, and I expect it's to their advantage to add more Kindle owners (beyond just the $ for the Kindle).

So overall, I don't think it's that surprising.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:51 PM   #5
bigscotty
bigscotty began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Kindle
Most of my friends love the Kindle, but just think the price point doesn't suit them. I'm sure that will change as we move toward another holiday season, more people learning about them, and the rumored next version of the Kindle.

$359 is too much for some folks mentally. $249 or $199, if Amazon could manage it would probably break the levy.
bigscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2008, 03:19 PM   #6
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
The price is hefty. But if you are a *reader* and want access to recently published books without paying the high price of hardback books, you can do the arithmetic to show that the Kindle can pay for itself in a relatively short time. Even if you factor in the "bestseller" discount at your local brick-and-mortar store, the $9.99 price of the Kindle version of a book represents a substantial savings over the hardback. How quickly you've saved the price of the Kindle depends on how many books you buy -- and whether you would have bought the hardback in the first place. In my case, it's not so much an issue of saving the price of the hardback as it is:
* convenience -- carrying as many books as I want in one small package
* immediacy -- not having to wait for the paperback or queue at the library
* compactness -- not having to deal with the size & weight of a hardback
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:16 AM   #7
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
...But if you are a *reader* and want access to recently published books without paying the high price of hardback books...
Also don't forget the massive collection of out-of-print books that have been made available in ebook form.

-d
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:11 PM   #8
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I think there will be a massive marketing of the Kindle for Christmas this year
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 02:40 PM   #9
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post
Also don't forget the massive collection of out-of-print books that have been made available in ebook form.
I certainly make use of the many public domain eBooks. But I probably couldn't use their availability to financially justify the purchase of the Kindle -- particularly since I can read all of those on my laptop (should I so wish) using MobiPocket Reader.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:49 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I certainly make use of the many public domain eBooks. But I probably couldn't use their availability to financially justify the purchase of the Kindle -- particularly since I can read all of those on my laptop (should I so wish) using MobiPocket Reader.
Of course, for someone without a computer, the Kindle is the best, perhaps only solution.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:24 PM   #11
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
While selling directly via the web has higher margins, it also sacrifices volume since most retail is done through bricks and mortar.....as Dell's recently strategic shift in the consumer space indicates. This is especially true for consumer hardware.

I think Amazon should seriously consider selling the Kindle decive through traditional retail channels in addition to the web strategy.

On one hand, they will have to give up considerable margin to the retailer...on the other hand it will increase volume. and if Amazon makes money on the actual selling of the books....the increased volume could make up for the lower margin.

An additional benefit is that it will drum up traffic for the website as these Amazon Kindle displays in all the retail channels acts as advertising for Amazon.

I think this is the smart play. With somethng as personal and expensive as an e-reader, the consumer really needs to experience it before buying it.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:02 AM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I just signed in to the Amazon front page... no Kindle ad or picture. It's only mentioned in the left side menu. I'm surprised at that.

Edit: Now it's back.

Last edited by daffy4u; 07-04-2008 at 12:13 AM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote