Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-09-2007, 08:46 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Font Problems

I'm having some strange issues with fonts on my Gen3.

I created a "Fonts" folder on the Gen3 and copied the "Bookman Antiqua" font family into it from my XP machine. That worked fine - when I select the "Font Family" menu while reading a book I now get the choice of Verdana, Courier New, or Book Antiqua, and all work OK.

However, I'm completely unable to add any other font to the machine. Copying other fonts into the "Fonts" folder either makes the Gen3 entirely hang up when I try to open a book or, if it succeeds in opening the book, if I select the "Font Families" menu item the resulting selector is entirely empty. I've tried copying Arial, Times New Roman, Garamond, Palatino, etc - none works.

Any ideas on what's going on? Is there anything I need to do after adding new fonts to get the Gen3 to recognise them? I've tried turning on and off and pressing the "Reset" button - niether has any effect on the behavior of the fonts.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:59 AM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
It might be, that you are usinf opentype fonts. They have ttf ending aswell and might not work on the Gen3.
If you are using XP or Vista, then Arial, Times New Roman, Garamond and Palatino are OpenType Fonts. But so should the Bookman Antiqua be.

But i am guessing it has to do with that.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2007, 09:40 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're right - Bookman Antiqua is an OpenType font. I've just tried, however, adding a genuine TT font and that doesn't show up either.

It's almost as if adding that first font has "cached" something which is preventing it from seeing new fonts.

I see that in the "system" folder on the Gen3 there's a file called ".fonts.cache-1". Dare I try to delete that file and see if it helps, I wonder?
Old 11-09-2007, 09:56 AM   #4
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I see that in the "system" folder on the Gen3 there's a file called ".fonts.cache-1". Dare I try to delete that file and see if it helps, I wonder?
I did dare, when I had exactly the same problem (first added font shows up, fonts added after that don't).

It fixed it for me.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:00 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Great! Many thanks - I'll try it this evening. Does the font cache file get re-created automatically?
Advert
Old 11-09-2007, 10:01 AM   #6
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Yes, it's recreated automatically.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:09 AM   #7
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I had the same problem. When I add a new font it does not show up. But when I delete the Fonts directory, reset the reader and recreate the Fonts directory with the new font included it works fine.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:16 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Try deleting the ".fonts.cache-1" file in the "system" folder, as mbovenka suggests.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:56 AM   #9
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Try deleting the ".fonts.cache-1" file in the "system" folder, as mbovenka suggests.

It is not really a problem anymore. I 'solved' it by deleting and recreating the Fonts directory, including the new fonts. Then I can use them. It probably does the same, it flushes the cache

I mailed Bookeen about it
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:32 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Just had a reply from Bookeen confirming our "workaround" to the font bug:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your feedback.

Please try the following:
1. Switch on your Cybook.
2. Once on the “Library” screen, plug your Cybook to your PC with the USB cable.
3. On your Cybook, you should see a “Connected” screen.
4. On your PC, a “Cybook Gen3” drive should then appear.
5. Open the “Cybook Gen3” drive on your PC, and then open the “system” folder.
6. There should be a “user” folder and 2 other files.
7. Delete the file named “.fonts.cache-1”. Do not delete other files.
8. Unplug the USB cable; font information will be restored after about 30 seconds.
9. You should be back in the “Library” with proper font settings.

For your information, the issue you are meeting is not normal (it should work right away). We are currently trying to reproduce it consistently and will fix this issue in a future software update
Old 11-09-2007, 01:53 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I can confirm that the fix works. I've just deleted the cache file and added half a dozen OpenType font families from my XP box. Unplugged the USB cable and they all showed up correctly in the font selector.

What I really like is that if you add all the fonts in the "family" (eg plain, italic, bold, bold-italic) then you get the "proper" italic and bold fonts on the Gen3, rather than italics and bold "synthesised" from the plain font as you do on the Sony Reader. That's a very nice feature indeed! I've decided to keep the internal memory of my Gen3 for this kind of thing and store all my books on the SD card.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:56 PM   #12
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Thank you for posting this, it solved my font issue today
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:17 AM   #13
Acutesound
Acutesound began at the beginning.

Device: sony or Cybook
Font Cache file missing from my Reader

Quote:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your feedback.

Please try the following:
1. Switch on your Cybook.
2. Once on the “Library” screen, plug your Cybook to your PC with the USB cable.
3. On your Cybook, you should see a “Connected” screen.
4. On your PC, a “Cybook Gen3” drive should then appear.
5. Open the “Cybook Gen3” drive on your PC, and then open the “system” folder.
6. There should be a “user” folder and 2 other files.
7. Delete the file named “.fonts.cache-1”. Do not delete other files.
8. Unplug the USB cable; font information will be restored after about 30 seconds.
9. You should be back in the “Library” with proper font settings.

For your information, the issue you are meeting is not normal (it should work right away). We are currently trying to reproduce it consistently and will fix this issue in a future software update
Just had a reply from Bookeen confirming our "workaround" to the font bug:
I am having the same problem installing additional fonts.

However, my Cybook system folder only has the user folder and another file icudt36!.dat, but NO “.fonts.cache-1” as many of you see.

If I deleted all the fonts, the reader will not read any books other than pdf files. The basic default font is not present.

I find this very disappointing given the read behaves so different then other readers.

As posted elsewhere in the Other problem section, my reader also has problem with the book mark function.

Anyone else has the same problem?
Acutesound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:25 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Are you sure that you have Windows Explorer set to display all the files? It may be hiding the ".fonts.cache-1" file from you because it has no name before the ".". I find it highly unlikely that you wouldn't have the file!
Old 02-16-2008, 12:11 PM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Starting a file with a "." hides the file in both Windows and Linux. Under Windows, the easiest way to see these is to select the following in a standard folder window:
Tools > Folder Options > View > Show hidden files and folders
I have this turned on for all directories, which you can do in the Control Panel under Folder Options.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote