Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-22-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Exclamation Major Kobo book switching issue

I haven't had a ton of Kobo issues so I was very surprised at this. Let me see if I can explain in a way that is understandable.

I had an old ebook (#1 in a series) that I'd purchased in .PDF before I owned an ereader. I converted it to .EPUB via Calibre and side-loaded it to my Kobo but never read it. Recently I read a different book in the series and it prompted me to open the book in question.

As I was reading, everything was fine. I plugged my Kobo in to charge it while reading and the book restarted itself on page 1. At first I thought I had done something I had done so I paged back to where I had left off. A few hours later and I needed to hit the “home” button on my Kobo. When I did that the book I was reading restarted itself at page 1 again!

This time I thought it was an error in the coding of the book so I deleted the book from my Kobo and Calibre and reloaded it. The book kept restarting itself on page 1 whenever my reading was interrupted. When I tried to go to the next chapter by using the Table of Contents my Kobo opened up a different book in the same series (and the TOC only offered me two chapter 4 options, nothing else).

At this point I started getting frustrated – I went to the publisher and purchased a new copy of the book in EPUB format. I deleted the previous version from Calibre and from my Kobo. Then I side-loaded the new version into the Kobo.

It is still doing the same thing! Sometimes it is identified as a completely different book that I have read and finished (from a different series entirely) but the content is the book I have had issues with. Sometimes the book comes up as the book itself but the name info is for a different book. The only constant is that the book restarts itself at page one every time.

Please help. I’m clueless.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
paulak
paulak will become famous soon enoughpaulak will become famous soon enoughpaulak will become famous soon enoughpaulak will become famous soon enoughpaulak will become famous soon enoughpaulak will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo
do you have the latest version of the software loaded? I had this issue for one title but it was corrected with the download.
paulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulak View Post
do you have the latest version of the software loaded? I had this issue for one title but it was corrected with the download.
Umm, not sure. When was the latest version released? I normally side load via Calibre only. I do have the Wifi version but the software has only been updated once since I received my Kobo.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
paulak
paulak will become famous soon enoughpaulak will become famous soon enoughpaulak will become famous soon enoughpaulak will become famous soon enoughpaulak will become famous soon enoughpaulak will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo
There was one a few weeks ago. I have the Kobo app on my desktop and make a point of logging into this every couple of weeks. Once there, and the Kobo is hooked up, it prompts me if there is a new upgrade.
Plus "taming" is very good about letting us know here on the site.
paulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #5
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

I haven't gotten the firmware update but I reloaded the book again this weekend via Calibre. Now it's working perfectly and I am very confused. I never reloaded any of the other books so...
Advert
Old 03-09-2011, 05:19 PM   #6
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch
I had a problem Like this once with a burrowed book, so it was not a badly converted book. The book was saying it only had 1 page. The reason was that the first page was at the end (the kobo seems to open a book at the first chapter in the TOC). But the book was badly done because that first page shouldn't have been at the end. So just changing page would close the book.

It might something like that.

Last edited by Nigol; 03-10-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Nigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:57 PM   #7
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
It does sound like a dodgy conversion to me as I had something similar happen.

it might pay to re-convert or convert the PDF to MOBI via the Mobipocket desktop, then import and convert to EPUB in calibre.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote