Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Question Kindle Android app not showing book covers

I just moved my O'reilly books into my Kindle android app (Galaxy Tab) I noticed that two of them failed to show the book's cover. They open ok, I can read, etc, but Kindle app shows no cover for them.

Has anyone experienced this problem before? It would make more sense if they were previously converted, but they are natively in mobi format. Could be a bad formatting from O'reilly?

Thanks in advance,
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:40 PM   #2
m0ngr31
Connoisseur
m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I don't know how kindle for android works, but I think it looks for the ASIN number in the .mobi file and try's to download the cover from amazon. If you have your galaxy tab rooted, you should be able to copy the cover art over to your device.
m0ngr31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:01 AM   #3
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ngr31 View Post
I don't know how kindle for android works, but I think it looks for the ASIN number in the .mobi file and try's to download the cover from amazon. If you have your galaxy tab rooted, you should be able to copy the cover art over to your device.
Thanks for reply but, why do I have to root my Galaxy for that? I do have Astro for File Management. Also, you can find the same books in Amazon so based on your comment they should display the cover anyway, no?
Old 02-02-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
m0ngr31
Connoisseur
m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Like I said, I don't have an Android device, so I'm not sure how everything works.

I'm guessing it needs to be rooted because you still don't have R+W permissions to the root file system even with Astro right? I know you can do whatever with your SD card, but the Kindle program itself is not stored on the card, and I would assume that the covers are stored somewhere in the main storage, and not on the card. I could be way off base though lol.

As far as having the same title as an kindle book that Amazon sells, it really doesn't matter. Amazon doesn't even look at the title. It is looking for the ASIN number which is embedded in the .mobi file.

See this thread for reference

So basically AFAIK, the Kindle app just searches for a cover from Amazon depending on the ASIN number.

This is pretty easy to inject into the file though with mobiperl.

I wrote a script to automate the process here
m0ngr31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Are you sure you have the latest version of the Kindle app? Previous versions only displayed covers via matching ASIN numbers (as mentioned above), so many sideloaded books showed no images.

The past few app updates, however, have been diplaying cover thumbnails for all books -- ASIN or not.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
jocampo
Layback feline

Yes, most recent Kindle app. Actually, it set to recieve auto updates. What is driving me crazy is that all my O'reilly books show covers but these two only. And again, there was no conversion process involved, they came originally in mobi format.

It is not a big deal in terms of the usability of the book, they open and I can read with no issues, but still no book cover and wanted to know the "why". You know, IT guy curiosity flowing on my veins ... lol ...
Old 02-02-2011, 01:06 PM   #7
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Yes, most recent Kindle app. Actually, it set to recieve auto updates. What is driving me crazy is that all my O'reilly books show covers but these two only. And again, there was no conversion process involved, they came originally in mobi format.

It is not a big deal in terms of the usability of the book, they open and I can read with no issues, but still no book cover and wanted to know the "why". You know, IT guy curiosity flowing on my veins ... lol ...
OK. If it's just a couple of books, it could be that the mobi files contain covers but not thumbnails? I had a few of those that I had to fix using Mobi2Mobi.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:16 PM   #8
jocampo
Layback feline

What you mean Mobi2Mobi, you mean using Calibre?
Old 02-02-2011, 03:09 PM   #9
bwaldron
Wizard

Quote:
What you mean Mobi2Mobi, you mean using Calibre?
No (though I use and love Calibre!).

Mobi2Mobi is part of the Mobiperl package; I typically use the Mobi2Mobi GUI on my Windows machine. See the stickied threads in our Mobi forum for more info.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:17 PM   #10
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
No (though I use and love Calibre!).

Mobi2Mobi is part of the Mobiperl package; I typically use the Mobi2Mobi GUI on my Windows machine. See the stickied threads in our Mobi forum for more info.
Thanks, will take a look tonight!
Old 02-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
In K4PC, at least, the only ebooks that don't show covers are ones without a cover. Have you confirmed that these two ebooks contain covers? O'Reilly ebooks usually do, but perhaps these two don't. Note that in a MOBI the cover isn't the first page but rather something you navigate to.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:06 PM   #12
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
In K4PC, at least, the only ebooks that don't show covers are ones without a cover. Have you confirmed that these two ebooks contain covers? O'Reilly ebooks usually do, but perhaps these two don't. Note that in a MOBI the cover isn't the first page but rather something you navigate to.
Good point.

But how can I confirm, sending an email to O'reilly maybe? I though in testing with Kindle for PC and see what happens there.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:13 PM   #13
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I'm thinking bwaldron is correct here. The same issue happens to me and I know these books have covers, but the thumbnail views do not have covers.

[Update]
I just tried converting a MOBI to MOBI using calibre and it seems to work. All of my books with missing thumbs are now showing on the K4A

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 02-02-2011 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Added update
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:49 AM   #14
jocampo
Layback feline

I am a happy man!

= X =
It looks like converting via Calibre did the trick, but I wonder why. I also notice that the default Amazon books put their covers inside the "covers" folder, not the same for sideloaded content.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:52 AM   #15
bwaldron
Wizard

Quote:
I am a happy man!

= X =
It looks like converting via Calibre did the trick, but I wonder why. I also notice that the default Amazon books put their covers inside the "covers" folder, not the same for sideloaded content.
Why? I'm guessing that, as I suggested above, the books simply were provided without thumbnail images; Calibre added them when rewriting the file (good suggestion, =X=).

If you want to check out such things (and are running on Windows), the Mobi2Mobi GUI I mentioned above will show you the book's cover and thumbnail images (as well as the rest of the metadata).

As far as the Android app handling covers goes, it appears that if the book's metadata contains an ASIN (as all Amazon purchases will) it always uses the cover associated with the book's ASIN number at Amazon (even if one has changed the cover image within the book itself). It puts these in the covers folder, I believe. Only if the book lacks an ASIN is the internal cover thumbnail shown (older versions of the app just presented such books without a cover) with no image placed in the covers folder.

The Kindle for PC app (which i don't use much) seems to operate a bit differently, using an internal cover in preference to the one matching the ASIN.

Last edited by bwaldron; 02-03-2011 at 09:32 AM.