Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-07-2016, 11:31 PM   #1
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Is my K3 dead?

I think it is but thought I would post here for any possible assistance...

My Kindle 3 3G froze this evening on my way home. I have managed to hard reboot it a couple times (hold power switch for 30 or so seconds) and it has looked like it is working for about 5 minutes and then frozen again. Holding the button only works about 10% of the time so I have had to try that multiple times each time this happens.

Here is what I have done:
1) Tried to uninstall jailbreak - result is no change although I am not sure it succeeded.
2) Factory reset which succeeded in wiping everything but hasn't solved the issue.
3) My computer acknowledges something is plugged in whenever I do that but it only shows up in the list right after a hard reboot has occurred (Windows 10).

Anything else for me to try? I do have access to the menu for about 3-5 minutes after getting it to reboot.

I have been wanting a Voyage or a PW3 for a while but wanted to do it on my terms and I hate reading on my phone.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:57 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
STOP.
Make sure the wifi and 3g if applicable is off
Put it on a wall charger and forget about it for at least 15 hours.
Then reboot.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2016, 12:04 AM   #3
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That is where it is currently sitting. I will post an update tomorrow evening.

It was charged about a week ago so the battery should have been ok but given the weirdness and multiple reboots I thought that might help too.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:46 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Let's hope the recharge fixes things. You mentioned elsewhere that it was five years old, so it may well be that the battery isn't holding a charge as well as it used to.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:37 AM   #5
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various , Voyage, Oasis, K3, K4T,Nook Glow+Kobo Aura/H2O/One
The battery is relatively easy to replace (with a very small screwdriver) so you could either relife it now (or later after using it as an excuse to get a new kindle and hold as a spare)
Mort1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2016, 07:46 AM   #6
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
STOP.
Make sure the wifi and 3g if applicable is off
Put it on a wall charger and forget about it for at least 15 hours.
Then reboot.
I had the same problem with a K3. If the battery is drained, it will not charge with the wifi/3G on -- the connection drains the battery as it charges. Finally, I got just enough charge that I was able to quickly turn off the wifi, then I charged it overnight, and it was fine. I've changed batteries in several K3s. I love this old workhorse reader!
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:17 PM   #7
Dazrin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Let's hope the recharge fixes things. You mentioned elsewhere that it was five years old, so it may well be that the battery isn't holding a charge as well as it used to.
I hope it will do something good but I am not holding my breath. Up till this point I have seen some decrease in battery life but not anything like this. Normally I have to charge it every 3-4 weeks depending on how much reading I have been doing (wi-fi is almost always off.) This time around it was less than 1 week (charged last Saturday night).

I checked on it this morning and the orange charge light is now off (turned on when plugged in originally) but the green "I'm done" light is not on. It has frozen on the main menu screen and never auto-turned itself off. I will mess with it some more when I get home tonight and keep my fingers crossed.

I do see that they will take back even non-working Kindles in their trade-in program and I could get $25 for it for a new one, so that helps take the sting out a little.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:59 PM   #8
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I thought about doing that with my k3 but I would have to put it back together.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:22 PM   #9
Dazrin
Wizard

It looks like that will be my best option now. Charging for 23 hours straight with no interruption and it still doesn't do a thing. The green light came on for a few seconds one of the times I tried to restart it but that is it. The orange light comes on when first plugged in then turns off after a while (checking how long now).
Old 01-09-2016, 12:53 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Hey Dazrin,
Apparently my dryer wanted to accompany your k3 to the electronic great beyond as the dryer gave a big sigh yesterday and cooked out completely.
I hope we get as long of a life out of this new dryer as the one that died yesterday. The old one was bought in the mid 70's.
So please know your k3 did not go alone.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:45 AM   #11
Dazrin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Hey Dazrin,
Apparently my dryer wanted to accompany your k3 to the electronic great beyond as the dryer gave a big sigh yesterday and cooked out completely.
I hope we get as long of a life out of this new dryer as the one that died yesterday. The old one was bought in the mid 70's.
So please know your k3 did not go alone.
Thanks!

I wish you the best in getting a new one, just don't expect the new one to last nearly as long as your old one. They just don't make them like they used to, as in, 10 years is a long time nowadays for appliances it seems like. Our washer lasted 9 years before it died. The electronics in it had a glitch and replacing the board was 85% of the cost of a new one.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:55 AM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Thanks!

I wish you the best in getting a new one, just don't expect the new one to last nearly as long as your old one. They just don't make them like they used to, as in, 10 years is a long time nowadays for appliances it seems like. Our washer lasted 9 years before it died. The electronics in it had a glitch and replacing the board was 85% of the cost of a new one.
We have replaced the washer twice already and hubby was on his second washer when we got together.
Note we got a new simple Amana. It has the dial to set drying times and the start button.
We have been married 25 years in 4 months.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:10 PM   #13
crouton
Try me on salads!
crouton knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.crouton knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.crouton knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.crouton knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.crouton knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.crouton knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.crouton knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.crouton knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.crouton knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.crouton knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.crouton knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: kindle keyboard
I'd recommend removing the battery and leaving it out for about 15-30 mins then reinstalling it and plugging the kindle in. May take over an hour for it to charge.

I repair these k3/keyboard all the time and have seen this happen when they get stuck. It can also happen if you've added a ton of new books at once and it's stuck indexing.
crouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:35 AM   #14
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
I'll reiterate, my K3 behaved similarly. As soon as I got any charge in it, I started it while still plugged-in and charging, was able to turn off wireless connection which was draining the charge as I was charging. Indexing can do the same thing. Make sure you have no books indexing (type cxz from Home scream and search, you'll see items indexing). You have to delete those items, which you can do on your computer. Don't ever let your battery run down while wireless in on, or while indexing. Both take too much battery charge!
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote