Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #121
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
@NiLuJe: feelmaroon missed post #112
We just gotta get one of those for this forum!
s/get/make/
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:00 AM   #122
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
@NiLuJe: feelmaroon missed post #112
We just gotta get one of those for this forum!
I just watched that noob video again. It said to press the thanks button for EVERY useful reply you get. Here at MobileRead that would be the karma button.

I have posted thousands of replies. I like to think that the majority of them were useful. Yet, those thousands of posts only received dozens of karma donations. Sadly, most of my karma came from humorous posts NOT in the Dev Corner.

We really DO need a Dev Corner noob video like that.

BTW, did they ever bring up xxxda-developers, or is it still "under construction"?

Post #112: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2264219

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-15-2012 at 11:03 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #123
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Ha!

Caught the bug that might have triggered (some) people on a PW not seeing the correct splash screen issue (too small).

Will double-check once I receive my PW before updating everything, though .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-15-2012 at 07:06 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #124
ecksor
Enthusiast
ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Ha!

Caught the bug that might have triggered people on a PW not seeing the correct splash screen issue (too small).

Will double-check once I receive my PW before updating everything, though .
Yep, I remember it being too small and aligned to the top-left corner.
ecksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #125
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@ecksor: Just to confirm, could you PM me your full S/N? (Or, actually, I don't really care much about the details, just want to know if it's in base32hex (0-9A-V), or something wider (0-9A-Z)?)

(I was assuming they were in hex, which is obviously wrong, since my Touch ends with TD and I never noticed... A bunch of Kindle related stuff is in base32hex, so it seems like a safe bet for now, but it still might not be accurate enough...).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-15-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Advert
Old 10-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #126
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Loving the Jaunty new text
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #127
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Bump to v1.5.N.

This should hopefully fix the wrong splash screen issue on the PaperWhite...
Old 10-17-2012, 02:22 PM   #128
feelmaroon
Connoisseur
feelmaroon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kindle 4, PW2, Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Aura One
Kindle return and uninstall...

Quote:
@feelmaroon: There's an uninstaller update file in the package.
NiLuJe...Appreciated. Quick and seemless... Will jailbreak my replacement if they fix the pink shadows.
feelmaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #129
h1uke
Zealot
h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: dxg, k3w,k4nt,kpw
is there a way to jailbreak an _unregistered_ PW unit? Thanks.
h1uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #130
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by h1uke View Post
is there a way to jailbreak an _unregistered_ PW unit? Thanks.
Yes. The jailbreak's primary function is just to add additional developer keys.

You may lose the additional "developer keys" file when you register and/or un-register your Kindle.

So your best bet (least trouble) is to just register the device (unless of course if the device your working on is stolen).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #131
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I finally vanquished my distaste of upstart, and ported USBNetwork (the K2/3/4 one) to the K5 (Touch/PaperWhite)!

(It's available in the first post, of course ).

That means a working SSH + usbnet on boot, OpenSSH, auth via pubkeys, no sshd daemon hanging around when you're not in usbnet mode, scp & sftp, wifi, and the usual set of USBNetwork tools.

You don't need to uninstall simple_usbnet, the installer will take care of everything.

(As usual, it defaults to dropbear, but I recommend switching to OpenSSH once you have a working config, because it's way faster [no update on the libtommath regression front, so dropbear is still taking forever to auth]).

Did I mention I hate upstart with a fiery passion? Because I do. It took a few read-through of the upstart cookbook to wrap my head around it, and settle on the 'best' way to handle it, without resorting to 7 billions upstart jobs & signals... Thankfully, I got it mostly right on my first 'live' test. I'll stop ranting now, but I'd be curious to know if anyone actually *enjoys* writing upstart jobs, because, personally, it just took 1st place over qmail in the 'worst thing to configure, ever' tournament...

I updated the Wiki, too, that made the whole 'USB networking' block a good deal simpler/shorter.

Since this is based on the K2/3/4 USBNet package, I'm not mirroring the patchset (found in the kindle-x-compile-tc.tar.gz tarball) here, but it's available in said thread, and applicable to both version of the hack .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-21-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:17 PM   #132
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Did I mention I hate upstart with a fiery passion? Because I do. It took a few read-through of the upstart cookbook to wrap my head around it, and settle on the 'best' way to handle it, without resorting to 7 billions upstart jobs & signals... I'll stop ranting now, but I'd be curious to know if anyone actually *enjoys* writing upstart jobs, because, personally, it just took 1st place over qmail in the 'worst thing to configure, ever' tournament...
Well, I didn't really write any upstart job, but I've looked at many stock KT jobs and also scanned documentation of Upstart. Concept of signals, executing programs and pre-/post-scripts fit in my mind very well. It shouldn't be so distressing , I don't believe you.

As counter-argument: I wrote substantial init.d script once, it wasn't a big pleasure either.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #133
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@eureka: I just find it overly complex for, in the end, not much gain.

The dependency system is nice, but then so is the one from OpenRC, and at least the syntax actually makes sense there, without the 'oh, yeah, you *thought* it meant that? Well, guess what: it might not, not in every case. >_<"' effect, and it's still full shell, so you don't lose anything, and end up having to resort to weird hacks when your scripts need to do more stuff than simply launch a daemon.

(Most notably, I found doing something at other events than 'start' to be completely unintuitive).

The signals are nice (and something that's probably needed for a parallelized system anyway), even if they can induce a fair bit of complexity to the task at hand.

Sure, it boots faster, but, then, we're on a Kindle, a device no-one should ever reboot unless after an update, so, the bootspeed point is kinda moot.

At least the systemd guys took the idea to its full extent, whereas upstart feels a bit clunky to me, like: we need a faster/parallell init system, but we don't want to do a complete clean break with SysV, so, err, let's pile on a mountain of kludges on top of the others to make sure it's not too painful to migrate stuff over from SySv (well, guess what: it's worse than porting stuff to systemd ).

That said, I'm way more familiar with bash scripting, so of course, writing SysV init script feels more natural to me .

Of course, I'm exaggerating a bit, in the end, after reading the cookbook a couple of times (and banging my head against a wall/facepalming a couple of times ;p), the first thing I wrote ended up working as it should (... so far ^^).

And that's just a gut reaction on a first approach, not to be taken too seriously, I don't really have anything against it (or the guys who devised it), I'm just not really enjoying working with it .

I'm actually curious, though: do anyone other than Canonical uses it these days?

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-20-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:43 PM   #134
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
@NiLuJe:

I just noticed this:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/w/index.p...94&oldid=32793

Is there any particular reason why you changed the subnet? I think that this is a rather unfortunate decision, because it will confuse people.

The Kindle Touch has always used 192.168.15.244 (both in main, and in diags), and the 192.168.15.201 for the host has a reason as well: this is where the diags partition expects to find the host.

So, request: please revert to the "old" configuration, so that we at least have "known common ground" for everyone. That's particularly important because most instructions refer to the standard address, and newbies, as well as those who try to help them, may get confused if there suddenly are multiple "standard" configurations.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #135
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@ixtab: I assume you meant in the Wiki?

(Since it's configurable on the hack side of things).

Note that I'm not against switching the default config of the hack to the same default as volumd's, I used the same default as the K2/3/4 mostly to put an end to the 7 billions different host-keys I have on the .15 subnet in my local known_hosts file ^^

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch