Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-14-2014, 12:51 PM   #1
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Post Mobileread Kindlet Kit

To help make things clearer, you'll find here what we're now calling the Mobileread Kindlet Kit!

Historically, this has been known under a wealth of different dubiously helpful names (KUAL prerequisites, for example), but, basically, it's what you need to run custom Kindlets (like KUAL or Collections Manager) on your Kindle (provided it's decently recent enough [FW >= 2.5]).

Technically, the installer package contains PoP's merged developer keystore and ixtab's Kindlet JailBreak (which is a different cog in the machine than the JailBreak, period), so, a round of applause for everyone involved

What Does It Do?:

Much like the JailBreak opening a door for our stuff, this will allow you to use the custom Kindlets available on this forum.

Latest Updates (06/04/2019):

Minor behind the scenes changes to work in tandem with the updated bridge from the K5 1.14.N JB.

PSA: All downloads have been moved to the Snapshots thread!

INSTALL:

MKK:

IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR K5 USERS USING JAILBREAK OR HOTFIX >= v1.11.N:

Your JB version should come with MKK bundled, meaning you can skip this post in its entirety, you're good to go . Just make sure to reboot your device after a fresh JB install!
Note that this only applies to the K5 JB! If you're using an older device, you will need to install MKK manually .

Spoiler:

As any other hacks, your device needs to be jailbroken. Please refer to the wiki and/or the stickies & index for the appropriate method for your specific Kindle model .

Download the latest kindle-mkk package from the Snapshots thread, and unpack it. In here, you'll find a few files.
Upload the appropriate Update_*_install.bin file for your Kindle model to the root directory of your Kindle.
If you're confused, please refer to the Kindle nicknames list on the wiki. In this specific case, the k5 file is indeed the one you want if you have a Touch, PW, PW2 or a KT2 or a KV.

Now, eject & unplug your Kindle, and go to [HOME] -> [MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] > Update Your Kindle. It should be over quickly.

Note that if you have KUAL set up and running, you're welcome to use our very own MR Package Installer, which may speed up the process if you're installing multiple things .

And that's it, your Kindle is now ready to rock custom Kindlets!

FAQs:
Spoiler:

Q. Halp! Everything is broken, and my device shows me weird popups when I try to launch a Kindlet!

A. You either fell victim to a silent OTA update, or you unregistered your device since the last time you tried to launch a Kindlet.
The fix is simple: reinstall MKK.
(In the case of an OTA update on a K5 device, the damage might be greater, see the JB FAQ).

ChangeLog:
Spoiler:
  • MKK:
    • 20140214:
      • Initial release under the MKK branding.
    • 20140822:
      • Works in tandem with the K5 JB >= 1.11.N to survive full update.
    • 20141125:
      • Works in tandem with the K5 JB >= 1.13.N
    • 20141129:
      • Works in tandem with the K5 JB >= 1.14.N
  • Doc: $Id: MKK_MR_THREAD 16001 2019-06-04 16:54:53Z NiLuJe $

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-04-2019 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Bump to 20141129
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:29 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, we should be live for real now .

I also just updated the snapshots. If you can, check that the KUAL snapshot works properly, so that we can finally release a proper tagged version that supports the PW2 .
Advert
Old 02-14-2014, 07:38 PM   #3
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
The Collections Manager prerequisites are now pointing to this thread. And KUAL should be, soon.

Thanks mate!
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:29 AM   #4
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
What about adding prerequisites for running custom ACXs to MKK ?
Developers of custom ACXs would also need an appropriate private key and Widget Signer.
More info on custom ACXs.

Last edited by dsmid; 02-15-2014 at 05:31 AM.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:01 AM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@dsmid: I'm not terribly fond of overwriting stuff in the rootfs, but I can see the appeal...

Ideas?
Advert
Old 02-16-2014, 03:03 AM   #6
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I don't have any idea how to avoid overwriting stuff in the system partition (besides bind-mounting).
Of course, I could make a bundle called ACX jailbreak to confuse people even more.
Just joking, I would call it anything other than jailbreak, but still...
Old 02-19-2014, 11:58 PM   #7
Lawlhwut
Lawlhwut began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite G2
I can't find the model number for paperwhite. Is it not supported? Specifically the 2nd gen one.

Edit: Just kidding. I'm illiterate Did not read that it was k5 for all.

Last edited by Lawlhwut; 02-20-2014 at 12:25 AM.
Lawlhwut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:14 AM   #8
dsmid
Linux devotee

NiLuJe, do you have any objection to bind-mounting /opt/amazon/ebook/security ?
After the research knc1 made, I'm pretty confident that it won't cause any trouble.
I'm trying to avoid releasing yet another jaibreak ...
Old 02-23-2014, 08:33 AM   #9
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
dsmid, why to name it "bla-bla jailbreak"? Release as "Arcane Capabilities eXpander"
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:55 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawlhwut View Post
I can't find the model number for paperwhite. Is it not supported? Specifically the 2nd gen one.

Edit: Just kidding. I'm illiterate Did not read that it was k5 for all.
The second generation paperwhite is "PW2"
All other devices using the series 5 firmware are "K5"

Reason being, the PW2 uses a different SoC than the other K5 devices.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:36 AM   #11
dsmid
Linux devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
dsmid, why to name it "bla-bla jailbreak"? Release as "Arcane Capabilities eXpander"
Yeah, or ACX Crap eXteneder

Whatever name it will have, it would be yet another annoying requirement they don't understand for users...
Old 02-23-2014, 01:17 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@dsmid: How early in the boot process does it have to be setup?
Old 02-23-2014, 04:01 PM   #13
dsmid
Linux devotee

AFAIK just before x.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:32 PM   #14
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@dsmid: That's a tiny bit earlier than I'd hoped, do you know if the stuff is loaded & cached once at boot, or if it needs to still be up-to-date when accessed at runtime?

(I'm thinking of stuff like the elektra db, which, while fragile as hell, we can trick by feeding it custom stuff before the first load, which we can then safely discard after that since it's cached).
Old 02-24-2014, 12:04 AM   #15
dsmid
Linux devotee

I will do some tests to find out.

Here is the result:
defaultPolicies.json and keystore_mesquite.xml are both checked every time ACX is launched, i.e. no caching.
The good news is, they can be bind-mounted just before the first ACX usage (text selection in reader), even after the final target.

Last edited by dsmid; 02-24-2014 at 01:54 AM.

Tags
kindlet, mkk