Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #736
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I've gone from 4 ahead to 1 behind . 10 to go and I'm beginning to doubt I'll make it...
There is still time!

If you were in the US I would say to try to use this holiday weekend to catch up a bit, any excuse to avoid the roads during Black Friday shopping.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #737
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
There is still time!

If you were in the US I would say to try to use this holiday weekend to catch up a bit, any excuse to avoid the roads during Black Friday shopping.
Well there is Christmas coming up, of course, but the trouble is any spare time in the day I tend to spend on the *&%$@ computer, a fair chunk of it here. I only tend to read in bed or travelling, and as I'm not travelling much at the moment, and can't seem to last more than 15 minutes in bed before I fall asleep these days, my challenge is seriously at risk.

Maybe I should look for a few 150 page books to try to redress the balance .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #738
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Will you make your goal?
Almost certainly not. Although I won't be buying any more ebooks this year, I don't think I'm going to be able to read 38 more books before the end of the year...
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:54 PM   #739
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Almost certainly not. Although I won't be buying any more ebooks this year, I don't think I'm going to be able to read 38 more books before the end of the year...
Even if you "only" made it to tbr:330, you did great. That's 50 books down. For most of us, that would mean an entire year of reading without buying anything. If you look at it that way...
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:58 AM   #740
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I finished my 50th and last book last night. Yay! I wonder where I'll actually end up, come the new year.

I still need 10 movies and 11 graphic novels to meet all four of my challenges, though.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2012, 11:03 AM   #741
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
Even if you "only" made it to tbr:330, you did great. That's 50 books down. For most of us, that would mean an entire year of reading without buying anything. If you look at it that way...
True. And if I do manage to refrain from buying anything, I should make it below 320.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:46 PM   #742
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I am around ten over my projected total for 2012. Very pleased with that.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #743
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I've exceeded my 150 books goal and have one more book to read from NPR's Top 100 SF&F list to complete my challenge. I'm looking for something fairly standalone and not too lengthy as I have a couple of series that I would like to finish. The current candidate is China Mieville's Perdido Street Station.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:51 AM   #744
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
So are you guys looking towards your 2013 reading challenge yet? I think I want to try to read 60 books (my goal was 50 this year and I've already exceeded it) and also read a certain number of the ebooks I've already bought (I have a lot...).
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:06 AM   #745
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
My goal for next year is to keep track of what I read (like this year), read 12 classics and try and keep the number of "active" series down to about 5 or 6. I also want to try and read more non-fiction books in 2013.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:40 AM   #746
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Next year? I think I'll go for a similar challenge. Depending on what my TBR looks like at the end of the year, but I'll probably be aiming at getting it down to 240 or less.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:56 AM   #747
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicalynn View Post
So are you guys looking towards your 2013 reading challenge yet? I think I want to try to read 60 books (my goal was 50 this year and I've already exceeded it) and also read a certain number of the ebooks I've already bought (I have a lot...).
I will have both threads up before the start of the new year and will add links to this thread when they're done.

As to my personal 2013 challenge...right now its:

50 novels including unfinished/unread series from my 2012 challenge.
25 already owned, stand alone, short stories.
15,500 pages.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #748
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Currently reading book number 79 right now.

Next year's challenge is 44 books and 12,599 pages. But who's really that specific?
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #749
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
A few days ago, I passed my 2012 reading challenge goal of 13,000 pages for the year! Time to party!

I had broken my challenge into easier to count chunks of 50 sections at 260 pages each (which adds up to 13,000), hence my signature's "50/50" completed.

It was a long and challenging trip, but it's not over yet! That was only one part of my challenge. I also have a 2012 TBR of "around" 50 books, and that's turning out to be more challenging. I have three sections to it - a pre-chosen TBR, book club books and then a third section for any extra books I read during the year. It was supposed to by synergistic with my page count goal of 13,000, but overall the books ended up being longer than expected.

The pre-chosen TBR is almost done. I've read 12 out of 13. The only one left is Ulysses, so I've saved the hardest for last, but at least it's not the longest (although, I had also put off the longest ones too - Anna Karenina and The Wise Man's Fear - and only just read them recently). I'm pretty confident though that I will finish this part of the goal too.

The book club books is the challenge. I've read 18 out of 24 and have six to finish reading. I don't know if I can manage that by the end of December but I'll try!

The extra section didn't have a specific goal, so that one's good to go. Since the other two sections add up to 37, the goal for this section was supposed to be "around" 13 to equal 50 books total, but I knew it probably wouldn't be exact and this section was meant to balance out page counts to keep the TBR in synergy with the page count goal. But the other books ended up being much longer than expected. I've read eight books and three short stories for this section, a good deal less than 13 books, and still my TBR list is going to come in at well over 13,000 pages.

I've looked at the probable page counts of the unread books and it's looking like I still have 3,000 or so pages to read to complete everything (depending on the length of the as-of-yet undetermined December book club books), so around 16,000 pages for the year actually if I make it.

Heh, that seems about impossible for a month, especially with holidays and all. But I'm not giving up! Just maybe I'll make it. Never give up until the fat lady sings, and she's not scheduled to perform until midnight December 31st.

I do know this though: for next year's challenge, you can be well sure I'm finding out probable page counts for my TBR list beforehand.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:59 AM   #750
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I'm going to go goalless like I did this year and just use my total for a benchmark. Last year I read 80 books, so I'm already ahead for 2012! (I also read Moby Dick last year -- which just *dragged* on and on for months -- and this year I read a lot of short romance-type fluff.)

One non-reading goal I'd like to include is to start using Goodreads more. I have the iPad app for it (although I have not opened it up yet) and I am hoping it makes it easier to log books. I found it tedious when I tried it two years ago, but if it works, I can backtrack and log my 2009, 2011 and 2012 books as well as 2013. (I lost my 2010 list because I was trying to use Goodreads and failed.)
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote