Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-19-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
Jumpn Jack Flash
Lazy Git
Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.

Device: iRex DR800S
DR800 Emulator

While waiting for my 800S ( UPS currently shuffling it around Europe ) I decided to see how hard it was to run the emulator and have a quick decco at the iOn doc.

Well colour me impressed !!! I went down the not recommended route of doing a kvm image of ubuntu 8.04 LTS on a Fedora 12 box. Then a very quick install of the required poky software and the emulator.

Fired her up ( so now running qemu under qemu(kvm) and it ran perfectly bar bottom part of screen missing. A combination of increasing the resolution of the kvm display to 1200x900 and following the docs using fbset -n -xres 1024 -yres 768, to get a fully viewable emulated device.

Now the only issue I have is that the menu button does not work ( and the ebook mall cannot connect, I wonder why that can be )

Any of the 1000 vm image users now how to simulate the various buttons?
Jumpn Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #2
Gertjan
ex-IRX developer
Gertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litter

Device: Irex DR800S, DR1000S, iLiad
Menu should open/close using the F1 key. The flipbar is mapped to the up/down keys (long flip: page up/page down) and Enter for select.

Connecting to the Ebook Mall should work on the emulator too, but you'll have to set up your DNS servers in /etc/resolv.conf in the QEMU image, and make sure your workstation routes the network traffic properly.

Have fun!
Gertjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2010, 04:59 PM   #3
Jumpn Jack Flash
Lazy Git
Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.

Device: iRex DR800S
Cheers for that. The GDK_ referencing on hardware keys in the manual threw me, can I suggest a picture of the 800 and and the difference in the hardware keys between the shown 1000 and the 800.

i will look into the dns later.
Jumpn Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
I've got a question about the emulator, just to satisfy my curiosity...

I notice that the quick draw routines in the emulator that erscribble uses aren't functional on the emulator. I'm curious why that is.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:19 AM   #5
Gertjan
ex-IRX developer
Gertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litter

Device: Irex DR800S, DR1000S, iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
I notice that the quick draw routines in the emulator that erscribble uses aren't functional on the emulator.
The emulator simulates the eInk refreshes, but only in part. The scribble system draws directly into the screen buffer, bypassing GTK. Only after a real dislay update is triggered, the strokes are visible. We have a fix underway to draw the strokes on a pen-up in the emulator. It's not quite the same but it is closer to the actual device.
Gertjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert