Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-24-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
YYZscientist
YYZscientist began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX (Global)
Oxford built-in dictionary disappears after changing default dictionary

A few days ago I bought and downloaded the Merriam-Webster French-English dictionary from the Kindle store. I then followed the procedure to change my default dictionary to this one (when in the Settings page, press "Menu" and you'll see a new option that wasn't there before, to change the default dictionary). All was swell and I recall still seeing the built-in Oxford dictionary in my book list... Fast forward a few days (having not turned off the device, just letting it go to sleep when unused), I wanted to change the dictionary back to the default one. To my surprise that option from the Settings Menu was gone! It's as if it thinks there are no other dictionaries to switch to (but it does, the built-in one!). In addition, the Oxford dictionary no longer seems to be in my book list. Odd...

Anyone else can replicate this? Anyone know of a solution? Is it a bug, or something I did? (Nothing extravagant, just uploaded some PDFs, bought a few books, etc.)

I'm using one of the newly shipped (to Canada) Kindle DX Global devices (serial number starting with B005), which comes with the 2.3 firmware.
YYZscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Just a hunch, but have you checked your Archived books for the Oxford dictionary? It's just possible you may have to re-download it from that location.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2010, 10:43 AM   #3
YYZscientist

Nope, it's not there. Good thought though.

It has no business being there anyhow as I never went to delete it.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:55 AM   #4
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Well, that's all I have. Wish I could be of more assistance, but perhaps someone else can offer a solution.

In the meantime, you could contact Kindle Support. If you're in the United States, the toll-free number is 1-866-321-8851. If you're outside the USA, you can find the number to call at the following link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200212360

Best of luck!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:42 PM   #5
YYZscientist

Just to complete this thread, in case someone else experiences this: My problem was solved (the built-in Oxford dictionary reappeared in the book list, and consequently I was able to see the "Change Default Dictionary" option again) when I restarted my Kindle. I'm not talking about turning it off (holding the slider for 15 seconds) and turning it back on -- that didn't help -- I'm referring to the "Restart" option in the Settings Menu.

Still an odd quirk (wonder why it happened), but as long as it solved itself I'm not too worried.
Advert