Old 09-14-2009, 09:10 AM   #1
jlinden
Connoisseur
jlinden began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle DX, Sony TS-1, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Boox M96
prs-600 cannot page in sunlight !

Hi,

I'm a long time lurker on this forum.
After enjoying a Cybook Gen3 very much for a couple of years, I say the new features of the Sony prs-600 and decided to get one.
After a weekend playing with it i'm astounded ! The lack of contrast I can live with, but my reader wouldn't let me page in sunlight! The new page is hardly readable. Letters are missing and there are large white areas on the screen. It is very reproducable: when I tried indoors with sunny blotches on the screen, after paging the blotches where the sunlight was are bleached out. When paging in the dark again, all is fine.
Does anyone else have these problems or is it just my reader?
(sent it back first thing this morning)

Thanks,

Jan
jlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:14 AM   #2
Seventh Son
lurker
Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: I should probably stop
Can't confirm. I think PRS-600 screen looks a lot better under bright light. You can get glare under certain angles though.
Seventh Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2009, 09:19 AM   #3
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Yea, I was reading from mine in full sunlight this morning, without a problem. It actually made it a lot easier to read.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:30 AM   #4
quillaja
Connoisseur
quillaja began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader touch (prs-600)
mine is great in direct sunlight. maybe you got a defective one.
quillaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:03 AM   #5
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
I think he's referring to the issue of changing pages in direct sunlight; if you search "e-ink sunlight" here, there's a thread noting the same issue on the PRS-505. It appears that the sunlight interferes with the e-ink "setting" process when the page is being drawn, perhaps due to the energetic photons in UV light.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2009, 11:24 AM   #6
Riocaz
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not in my experience with 18 months of owning the 505, at least not to the level the OP mentions It's a bit lighter maybe, but not "hardly readable. Letters are missing and there are large white areas on the screen."

And that includes numerous hours spent on a lounger on the solarium at my parents house in Spain. Or while "watching cricket" with the rest of my family in the summer.

(By watching cricket I mean sitting quietly reading with a drink while the rest of my cricket obsessed family watch or play, the 2nd most boring sport, to watch, in existance. The first being Baseball).

Last edited by Riocaz; 09-14-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:17 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a 505 and in direct sunlight, I have no problems. I've had it for almost 2 years. October will be two years. Reading in sunlight is one of the reasons I upgraded from my 500.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:40 PM   #8
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
I've never had any problem with page turns or contrast on my 505 when reading under our intense Texas sunlight either, and I've had mine for nearly 2 years also. Can't speak for the 600 though. I would hope that problem is a defect and not the norm.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:26 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
under thr touch layer is the same Vizplex screen as the 505 uses. So yes, I would think it would be a defect.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:32 PM   #10
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Hmm. Probably a defective unit.

I have had problems in *hot* sunlight, but not sunlight per se.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:10 PM   #11
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
I've had problems with the screen on my 505 appearing washed out in very warm weather, but even reading on a boat at the equator it was never a major problem. Cold weather seems to cause the opposite, the screen gets very dark and the page turns very slowly. I also vote that this is a defective screen issue, not a normal issue.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:50 PM   #12
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have a 505 and in direct sunlight, I have no problems. I've had it for almost 2 years. October will be two years. Reading in sunlight is one of the reasons I upgraded from my 500.
If you look at the link I suggested, it appears to only affect the reader when turning pages; it's as if, when the screen refreshes, that something interferes with the cels, causing them to not fully turn on unless the UV (or whatever else is in the direct sunlight) is blocked. It doesn't appear to be a defect, since it only showed up with the PRS-505, and Kindles also seem to have the same issue... so it's due to something with the Vizplex sheets. Given the descriptions of the electrophoretic process, the idea of energetic photons causing the cell to turn 'off' when it should be on (and only during the drawing process) seems like a likely hypothesis.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:38 AM   #13
jlinden
Connoisseur
jlinden began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle DX, Sony TS-1, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Boox M96
The problem never occurred with the Cybook which is also a Vizplex screen.
I think you are right, the prs-600 unit is probably defective. I sent it back.

Thanks for all your reactions.
jlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:19 AM   #14
Riocaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
If you look at the link I suggested, it appears to only affect the reader when turning pages; it's as if, when the screen refreshes, that something interferes with the cels, causing them to not fully turn on unless the UV (or whatever else is in the direct sunlight) is blocked. It doesn't appear to be a defect, since it only showed up with the PRS-505, and Kindles also seem to have the same issue... so it's due to something with the Vizplex sheets. Given the descriptions of the electrophoretic process, the idea of energetic photons causing the cell to turn 'off' when it should be on (and only during the drawing process) seems like a likely hypothesis.
What you think Jswolf doesn turn pages when he's out in the sunshine?.

And whether thats the case whats described in previous threads on the subject does not match what the original poster described.

Previous threads have indicated a whole screen change, or (for example) a hand shaped patch if you lay your hand over the screen while you change pages.

The OP said: "The new page is hardly readable. Letters are missing and there are large white areas on the screen."

Let me re-iterate from my perspective:

I own both the 505 and the 600. with the 505 I have never seen the behavior described by the OP, even when visiting my parents at the height of summer, in southern spain. I have the behavior described before (where the whole screen, or the parts that are in direct sunlight are a little lighter than they are in the shade).

With my 600, obviously being in the UK, and it's September so I can't speak for the heat of summer, but in direct bright warm sunshine as I had on my way to work yesterday (Where did it go? It's feel wintery today, and it's little above twilight outside my office window) it was very readable. Actually more so than it was this morning as bright sunshine seems to overwhelm the reflection and made the screen more readable, not less.

Last edited by Riocaz; 09-15-2009 at 05:41 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:23 AM   #15
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I want to chime in on the defective screen possibility.
Living in FL, I take my Readers out all the time. It gets HOT and SUNNY here like 99.999% of the time

Anyway - I've never noticed any issues at the pool or the beach with either the 505 or the 700. The 505 may have appeared a little bit washed out in direct sunlight, but nothing to that extent. The 700 actually became more readable in the bright light

I have noticed though, that the screens seem to get better as they warm up. By that, I mean that the page turn and refreshes are very slow at first after a cold boot or waking it up from sleeping for more than a day or two. But after about 10 - 15 minutes of use it warms back up and speeds the process a bit. I've also noticed similar issues with battery life. When the battery is really low, my 700 experiences an effect similar to that. By that, I mean half the page disappears (literally) and it looks terrifying. A recharge and a restart usually fixes the problem
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote