Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-22-2008, 01:07 PM   #76
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookreaders View Post
Actually, there is another iPod-like connector located at the bottom of the DR1000. It is for 'future use', an iRex engineer told me this afternoon.
Very interesting. Maybe it will give direct access, or can be used for development.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:13 PM   #77
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
I suspect not. One could hope, but it's a different hardware platform, and I suspect that programs aren't going to be binary compatible. The iLiad's contentlister is tied to the hardware, so putting something else there isn't an easy process.

If they plan to keep selling iLiad's, then maybe we'll see further updates. But I wonder if the iLiad is going to be a dead platform.
The content listeners and all the rest ist in the linux kernel and userspace programs? So it is possible to change it?
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2008, 01:16 PM   #78
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
The content listeners and all the rest ist in the linux kernel and userspace programs? So it is possible to change it?
In theory, yes, it is possible.

However, iRex has the source closed for a lot of important programs. The contentlister controls and listens for hardware key presses amongst other things. It's possible to replace everything on the iLiad down to the kernel and drivers, but it's not easy.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:37 PM   #79
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
I am thrilled about this! Yeah, not the price so much but all the features - yes! Here's hoping bluetooth can use a bt keyboard (just happen to have one ).

Also hoping that SD capacity they talk about is just what comes with the machine. I have gigabytes of research PDFs and it would be great if I didn't have to switch them out. Not a big big deal, of course, for something that allows me to no longer have to read PDFs as printouts in binders. That is a biggie, for me!
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:08 PM   #80
Robbeli
E-ventually
Robbeli doesn't litterRobbeli doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-700 + iRex iLiad
What I forgot to mention (lot's I suppose) is the thinness of the device. It is maximum 11.9mm thick, thinner then a famous notebook.
Only problem, the standard iLiad is perfectly for reading in bed, the 1000 is too large. It surely is business oriented.
Robbeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2008, 02:19 PM   #81
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
However, iRex has the source closed for a lot of important programs. The contentlister controls and listens for hardware key presses amongst other things. It's possible to replace everything on the iLiad down to the kernel and drivers, but it's not easy.
Not easy for third party developers, but iRex should be able to do it. They've already got the new interface built for the Reader 1000, it shouldn't be too difficult to tie it to the hardware interrupts on an iLiad, if they wanted to. The question is, how much effort are they interested in putting in to the iLiads now. I'm hopeful, but we'll see.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:35 PM   #82
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
If I were an editor I'd be all over this. How handy to be able to annotate right on the screen! And the connectivity, wifi and Bluetooth, would be handy as well. This is a great business device.

For casual reading, though, I prefer something more portable.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:15 PM   #83
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
As if it matters, Gizmodo seems less than impressed -

Quote:
Last week iRex promised that a "new era in digital reading" would begin on the 22nd. Well, today is the 22nd, but all I see are some boring ass releases under the 1000-series moniker.

Found here

Personally, I am still in search of an ereader that can properly handle graphic novels, Manga and PDFs, and this is one good choice, but given present financial insecurities, I doubt I will be buying anything that pricey anytime soon.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:24 PM   #84
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
I will not buy a Digital Reader unless it provide suspend mode, compatible with large size SD&SDHC, deeper greyscale than iLiad. iLiad already cost me much, I can't afford to buy another similiar device just for its bigger screen.

Why I need more greyscale? I am using iLiad to read comics. 16 greyscale is fine, and I am satisfied. I think 32 greyscale will be better.

Last edited by ericshliao; 09-22-2008 at 03:40 PM.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:25 PM   #85
manekineko
manekineko began at the beginning.

Device: none
Any chance this thing can surf the web?
manekineko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:29 PM   #86
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekineko View Post
Any chance this thing can surf the web?
I don't like to use iLiad to surf the web, even though I can. It's not a pleasant experience.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:39 PM   #87
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
As if it matters, Gizmodo seems less than impressed ....
Meh. Gizmodo never seemed all that interested in reading devices.

Anybody got a weight spec on this rascal yet?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:42 PM   #88
awi
Enthusiast
awi has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: 2x Irex Iliad V2, DR1000s & DR800sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
The question is, how much effort are they interested in putting in to the iLiads now.

Irex keeps on selling the Iliad. I think the Iliad and the DR1000 wille serve two different groups of users. So, i'm hopeful on future development of the iLiad software.
awi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:42 PM   #89
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
Been looking over iRex's site. Has anyone found a release date for the 1000SW? All I've found so far is the "will come later" line in the press release.

Wow, it's going to be tough not ordering one of the other models. I've waited for this sooo long! At least this will give me time to see what Sony has up their sleeve - and even Apple (Oct 14th) though I'm not really holding my breath for that tablet folks keep talking (=wishing) about.
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:44 PM   #90
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Meh. Gizmodo never seemed all that interested in reading devices.

Anybody got a weight spec on this rascal yet?
Yeah, based on the comments there, they don't "get it" when it comes to eInk devices. They're basically comparing it to a laptop. Sounds like a much different audience than the people who hang out here.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote