Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-17-2008, 01:23 AM   #1
Savonarola
Savonarola began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Newbie, Mac-user, non-techie... General advice?

Hi,

iLiad just arrived, very excited, about to set it up to work with my MacBook, running OS X 10.5.2. (Keen to divest myself of as many physical books as possible as quickly as possible.) I'm wondering what other users, esp Mac-savvy folk, would recommend as must-do/must-have/must-remember advice? Anything you wish you'd been told? Any software you can't live without? Any shortcuts to remember, etc? Hacks/patches/ware that work well for Macs?

Apologies if I'm missing some obvious things. In an attempt not to waste people's time I have spent days looking around all the fora, but I'm bound to have missed some stuff, and a lot of the coolest stuff you can do with the iLiad seems pretty techie, which, while I'm a competent Mac user, I'm not at all. (So if your advice contains lines that look like code I'm likely to panic. I know, it's pathetic, I know...)

Very grateful for any thoughts.
Savonarola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:36 AM   #2
saniko
saniko is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
Same boat! I've got a macbook air and I can easily say that working with the iLiad is better than working with the Sony PRS-505.

Follow the NOOB guide to installing applications in the Illiad Software board here. I purchased a 4GB CF card to work with my iLiad and I've installed a few apps:
1. FBReader - have not found a use for this but it was in the guide.
2. iPDF version with bookmarks (also does fullscreen). Hold the up arrow button to turn on or off the menu in the iLiad PDF reader for screen real estate. there is also now a bookmark function in the menu! Practice using the zoom to section, continous page functions in the reader. It's frustrating at first but then it becomes perfect for all the PDFs out there!
3. Notes templates from the forum. Great to scribble on... they really just use iPDF and and allow you to annotate and bookmark.
4. download the iLiad scribbler java program that is mac compatible. Allows you to combine annotations with the PDFs you write on.

Haven't tried anything else yet. Remember that there is a reset button on the back of the iLiad if all else fails.
saniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2008, 09:33 AM   #3
Savonarola
Savonarola began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Thanks saniko, that's really helpful. You're spurring me on to actually try the installation/development thing, despite my terror of command lines and going behind the front end. But as I'll be annotating a lot of PDFs it seems my best option. Screwing up courage...
V grateful for any other pointers.
Savonarola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:40 AM   #4
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I've had a couple of corruption problems with CF cards when using the Mac. If you start by formatting the card on the Mac, it seems to work better. However, I've found that if I access the CF card through the iLiad, it still gets corrupted, even though it was formatted on the Mac. This may be because I have a cheap card, or because I'm on OSX 10.3.9, or for some other reason that wouldn't affect you. I'm only passing this along to suggest that you try some tests of your own and see if you have the same problem. It's quite annoying to lose everything on the card and have to restore from backups (if you have them). I lost all the notes I took at a conference that way.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:02 AM   #5
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savonarola View Post
Thanks saniko, that's really helpful. You're spurring me on to actually try the installation/development thing, despite my terror of command lines and going behind the front end.
Actually, most of the third party apps come with a one-click installer. After installing the developer package (which is done over iDS) it's easy even for non-techies: Copy the program to your iLiad, click the installer, wait a few seconds and have fun
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2008, 09:26 AM   #6
ig88
Gadget Guy
ig88 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iLiad - iPhone - OSX
Since you have a MacBook, I would recommend the Belkin card reader ($30).
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=278313

I keep mine installed in the card slot of my MacBook Pro (it installs flush the MacBook Pro's case, so you never even know it is there, until you need it), and it makes it much easier to transfer data than having to mess around with that ridiculous USB connector.

Then a cover. I like mine, it is the M-Edge genuine leather ($55)
http://www.amazon.com/iLiad-Genuine-...9043326&sr=8-1

And finally, a light ($15). I got one like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Great-Point-Li...043453&sr=8-11
It folds flat for transport, and it conveniently clips into the CF slot.
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 05:37 PM   #7
pete mitchell
pete mitchell began at the beginning.

Device: iRex ILIAD
Hi All,

New user, my UPS says my Iliad will arrive Monday, April 28 2008.

I am a full time student, hoping to get rid of my textbook load. Also, like many schools, classes at my U are beginning to distribute readings via PDF, saving students from buying books to read single chapters and such.

I have found tons of advice on threads here already.

When will schools embrace ereaders?

Thanks already
-Pete
pete mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 05:37 PM   #8
pete mitchell
pete mitchell began at the beginning.

Device: iRex ILIAD
New User - University Student

Hi All,

New user, my UPS says my Iliad will arrive Monday, April 28 2008.

I am a full time student, hoping to get rid of my textbook load. Also, like many schools, classes at my U are beginning to distribute readings via PDF, saving students from buying books to read single chapters and such.

I have found tons of advice on threads here already.

When will schools embrace ereaders?

Thanks already
-Pete
pete mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:26 AM   #9
ig88
Gadget Guy
ig88 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iLiad - iPhone - OSX
Speaking as a tech in a school, it will take a magical combination of the following:
1) When they are more affordable
2) When they are easier to use (I work in K12, not higher ed)
3) When they display 8.5X11 pdfs better
4) When note taking features are improved
5) ONE WORD: SEARCH

-many will also feel a need for higher-resolution and/or color
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote