View Poll Results: Format: How important is knowing the format before purchase
not important, don't care 7 4.07%
good to know, but not necessary 15 8.72%
absolutely important, want to know 150 87.21%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Exclamation Format: How important is knowing the format before purchase

As many of you re aware Kobo has changed it's website and appears to be gradually migrating this 'new look' website to each country.

The new look website does not show the following information relating to an ebook at any time prior to (and post) purchase:

format of the ebook

DRM status of the ebook

For me, the two most important considerations prior to the purchase of any ebook are format and price.

Whilst it may be construed that Kobo may get around to once again including format and DRM status as part of the information supplied .... they may not (and if they do it may not be for some time [months, years?] to come.

How important is knowing the format prior to purchase of a Kobo ebook for you?
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
I would immediately ask for a refund if they tried to surprise me with a PDF. If they can't (or won't) display basic information about a purchase, I'm inclined to go elsewhere.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I don't care much about whether it is kepub or epub, but I really don't want to accidentally buy a pdf, and I want to buy DRM-free where there is a choice even if it costs more.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I don't care much about whether it is kepub or epub, but I really don't want to accidentally buy a pdf, and I want to buy DRM-free where there is a choice even if it costs more.
Its actually very important. Not every reader one owns is a Kobo and when you buy the book you buy it to read regardless of whether you read it on a kobo or a kindle. The most compatible and acceptable format therefore is 100percent Epub.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I will not make a purchase without knowing what format it is, and that's from any online store. It's an absolute necessity to know.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #6
selina4books
Addict
selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Glo, & Aura HD, KPW, Nook Glow, Nook HD
It's crucial. I am really annoyed by this. If you read Kobo's About Us page the very first paragraph states:

http://www.kobo.com/aboutus?___store...rce=kobodirect

"Inspired by a "Read Freely" philosophy and a passion for innovation, Kobo is one of the world's fastest-growing eReading services. Read Freely stems from Kobo's belief that consumers should have the freedom to read any book, anytime, anyplace – and on any device. As a result, Kobo has attracted millions of readers from more than 190 countries and features one of the world's largest eReading catalogues with over 3.5 million eBook, newspaper and magazine titles."

I'd like them to explain to me how I'm supposed to "read freely" when they sneak a PDF or kepub on me. I hate PDF for book reading. Most ereaders do not handle them all that well. And that kepub isn't going on my Nook, so how's that reading freely? I don't read much on my Nook because I feel my Kobos are superior devices but if I WANT to, I should be able to!
selina4books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #7
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Selina you raise an excellent point ... Kobo seems to be ignoring their own philosophy to read freely on any device!!
Old 09-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #8
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
I would immediately ask for a refund if they tried to surprise me with a PDF. If they can't (or won't) display basic information about a purchase, I'm inclined to go elsewhere.
I'm in a Customer Service issue with them at the moment re my buying an O'REilly ebook from Kobo on Sunday via their 'new look' Aus website and didn't know that I was buying a kepub, and still don't know officially the DRM status.

They told me the following when I asked for a refund:

'Please be advised that Kobo does not provide refunds unless there is something wrong with the eBook in question as all sales are final. However, we will be happy to with a Kobo store credit of $9.69 AUD within 48 hours.'

My latest request of them is that they issue me with the EPUB version of the book, and tell me the DRM status.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:55 AM   #9
Nascarfan1972
Banned
Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Glo/Mini/Aura/Glo HD/Clara/Libra & Forma & Kindle PW
It is simple really, if they do not show a list of devices a book can be read on then it is a PDF. Likewise if the book cover is only a black silhouette of a book, it is a PDF.

For those of you that complain about them not specifiying whether a book is an epub or a kepub, if having an epub is so important, download the book to your PC or Mac, remove the DRM and sideload it. You now have an epub on your kobo.

Problem solved.

I notice non of you are complaining that the kobo bookshop are not listing a lot of the books you can buy from it, unless you put generic search queries in for instance if you use the ebooks>sports>football, it gives 251 books, if you use the generic search term "football" it gives 1133 books. Is this not a bigger problem than not seeing if a book is a kepub or an epub. And before anyone askes I have used football as an example because I know it is one of the most popular sports in the world.
Nascarfan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:36 AM   #10
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
What kind of football? US, Canadian, Australian, England all have games called football and very different games.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:30 AM   #11
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascarfan1972 View Post
It is simple really, if they do not show a list of devices a book can be read on then it is a PDF. Likewise if the book cover is only a black silhouette of a book, it is a PDF.

For those of you that complain about them not specifiying whether a book is an epub or a kepub, if having an epub is so important, download the book to your PC or Mac, remove the DRM and sideload it. You now have an epub on your kobo.

Problem solved.

I notice non of you are complaining that the kobo bookshop are not listing a lot of the books you can buy from it, unless you put generic search queries in for instance if you use the ebooks>sports>football, it gives 251 books, if you use the generic search term "football" it gives 1133 books. Is this not a bigger problem than not seeing if a book is a kepub or an epub. And before anyone askes I have used football as an example because I know it is one of the most popular sports in the world.
Nascarfan not sure if you realise that you can't reformat a kepub that has DRM.

You can reformat a non DRM kepub by adding the extension .epub to it and then Calibre will accept it.

But Calibre doesn't accept straight kepub files.

Re the current search issues on the Kobo sites - perhaps you could start a thread on that?
Old 09-17-2013, 03:39 AM   #12
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Yesterday I contacted Kobo regarding needing to know the format before buying a book. This is their reply:

We would like to inform you that you can check the format of your eBook before you purchase it. Once you locate the eBook you want to purchase, you clink on the eBook cover and it will take you to the eBook description. At the right bottom side you are going to find the format of the eBook and supported devices where you can read your eBook on.

They don't even appear to know their own website!
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:45 AM   #13
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I need to know before a purchase whatever site I'm buying from. Who knows I may end up with a PDF ebook

On fnac.com, the affiliate seller of Kobo in France, when buying one can see the format and the DRM status but not the devices on which said ebook can be read. One day when I wasn't really careful I bought a guide book which is full of pictures and weights a little less than 80M It was an epub file, so what can go wrong I was thinking. Well tablets can deal very well with epub files too and I did forget that (at that time).

So now what I want to see before a purchase is the format, the DRM status and the devices that can be used.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:49 AM   #14
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascarfan1972 View Post
So do Kobo provide a legend for their symbols? I could not find it anywhere, but do welcome any pointers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
Yesterday I contacted Kobo regarding needing to know the format before buying a book. This is their reply:

We would like to inform you that you can check the format of your eBook before you purchase it. Once you locate the eBook you want to purchase, you clink on the eBook cover and it will take you to the eBook description. At the right bottom side you are going to find the format of the eBook and supported devices where you can read your eBook on.

They don't even appear to know their own website!
Yes, same happened to me in chat, but eventually my chat person asked, and the solution proposed was, get the preview first, check the format, then buy!!!

Also, a while back I know various people from MR posted on Kobo blog their feedback on this, but no comments can be seen there:
http://cafe.kobo.com/blog/kobo-ebook...autiful-design
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:53 AM   #15
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I think in addition to the comment about no devices showing means a PDF, the ePub and kpub are differenced by the blackberry sign. With means an ePub, without means a kpub.

Hopefully someone will come along and confirm that for us.

I am fine with both epubs and Adobe DRM epubs, and even, although I'd be really annoyed if they sold me one, a PDF, but I don't have a Kobo so kpubs are useless to me.
Josieb1 is online now   Reply With Quote