Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #526
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I don't have a camera and my old phone takes horrible pictures. They are just too blurry to see anything.

I just can't deal with this anymore. I can't even think of calling again. I got the runaround and the chat didn't help me at all. The chat didn't want to give me a replacement in the first place. I had to then call anyway. Its strange when there are lags when you have to wait for typing.

So for me I have to now decide which one to keep. The one with the brighter blob of light or the one that isn't glued down.
You know you can just return as defective for a refund without actually talking to anyone, right? There is no reason you should have to pay money for defective goods. I've had near-crippling phone phobia when I was younger, so I don't judge you on that, but there are still ways you can get this done. You can get your money back, and then try buying again later, or looking at an alternative.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #527
wystearya
Enthusiast
wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Wysterya, good luck with it. Glad to hear at least you got a unit that's better - though it may be hard to beat the diagonal lines.

No kidding!

I am still enjoying my replacement, and I got a picture. Again I took it to try and bring attention to any flaws.

This first one is unedited, and in my opinion looks pretty good. I took this in a dim room with the PW light set to 18.

And this one I edited to further bring out flaws. You can of course clearly see the lights and the pattern at the bottom, but I don't see anything obviously wrong this time. Maybe some green here and there..? But it doesn't show up when I adjust the light to fit the room.

-----

So, what do you 'guys' think? I know I will be keeping this one, as it is a vast improvement over my first one and nothing distracts me while reading. I'm just curious to know what other members here think about it.

wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #528
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by wystearya View Post
No kidding!

I am still enjoying my replacement, and I got a picture. Again I took it to try and bring attention to any flaws.

This first one is unedited, and in my opinion looks pretty good. I took this in a dim room with the PW light set to 18.

And this one I edited to further bring out flaws. You can of course clearly see the lights and the pattern at the bottom, but I don't see anything obviously wrong this time. Maybe some green here and there..? But it doesn't show up when I adjust the light to fit the room.

-----

So, what do you 'guys' think? I know I will be keeping this one, as it is a vast improvement over my first one and nothing distracts me while reading. I'm just curious to know what other members here think about it.

I really don't like the exaggerated diamond lighting on the bottom. But if you’re happy with it that’s all that matters.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #529
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
I really don't like the exaggerated diamond lighting on the bottom. But if you’re happy with it that’s all that matters.

That's normal in low lighting from the pics I've seen.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #530
wystearya
Enthusiast
wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
That's normal in low lighting from the pics I've seen.
Exactly! The pic was taken in low ambient light with the PW set pretty high at 18. I was trying to bring out the flaws.

When the PW is adjusted to match the room light, the diamond pattern is basically invisible.
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 07:37 PM   #531
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Exactly! The pic was taken in low ambient light with the PW set pretty high at 18. I was trying to bring out the flaws.

When the PW is adjusted to match the room light, the diamond pattern is basically invisible.
From what I can tell it looks like you got a good one this time. The blobs are varely noticeable on camera so I don't think you see them when reading.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #532
wystearya
Enthusiast

Thanks! I know that I feel it is a nice one, but I was curious to know what some of the members here thoughts. As 'you guys' have likely seen more screen pics than I have.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #533
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Thanks! I know that I feel it is a nice one, but I was curious to know what some of the members here thoughts. As 'you guys' have likely seen more screen pics than I have.
I think all PWs has some variations of color blobs on camera but it's what the naked eye sees that counts. There are some that are so blotchy there is no way anyone could read on it.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #534
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Elipsa, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Well, I got replacement #3 today, and despite the customer service representative implying they'd make sure the unit wouldn't have problems (which I figured was too good to be true, anyway)... It's even worse. It's extremely pink, has a bright left light, and a more pronounced diamond pattern of light at the bottom.

I'm done with the replacement merry-go-round, I suppose. I can live with my original unit (its shadow blotches have been the least severe, it doesn't have a super-bright leftmost LED, and no bright spots caused by dust trapped between the screen layers) but I will always be unhappy about it, because I know better ones do exist. I don't see why I can't get a perfect device for $140. It's too bad I've become so invested in the device, and can't get a good replacement.

It is my hope that eventually Amazon will admit the problem with the color blotches, and I may get a replacement under warranty. Right now their customer service acts like this problem is mythical and/or completely unheard of.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:06 PM   #535
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:

I'm seeing a little color in there but it is hard enough to evaluate that when looking at my own PW visually, much less in a photo. It looks reasonably good.

I'm still going back and forth about requesting a replacement for mine. I don't have an egregiously bad screen (no pinholes or light bars or uneven LEDs), but it does have some pastel clouds that show up at certain light levels with certain ambient lighting, and these are mildly distracting. But it seems there aren't any screens entirely free of this, and I can usually adjust the light to minimize it.

Perhaps a bigger problem for me is that I'm starting to notice that text doesn't render evenly across the entire screen. So some text on some regions of the page looks slightly bolder than text elsewhere on the same page. It appears to be a screen issue; the screen captures I've done show that the letterforms are defined identically no matter where they are on the page. Forcing page refresh does not fix it. It is as if some regions render greyscale more darkly than others, i.e have different 'response curves.' I need to create some test images (e.g. full page image swatches at different greyscale levels) to see what is going on, so I can decide if it is worth trying an exchange.

Apart from that, I prefer the way text renders on PW to Kindle Touch. Line spacing is a little tighter than Kindle Touch, and a little more text fits on each line (because there's more flexibility about how it can be justified). The new typefaces are nice to have.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #536
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Darn it, 7hir7een. With everyone deciding on the least bad unit, my hope sinks a little more. Andrew from CS did call me back today and said they are working on a solution for me but need more time and that he will call me up later this week. This may mean that they will be improving their QC really soon. Or maybe get all white LEDs. What else could it be that cannot yet be discussed, right?
I hope hope hope it will be fixing the manufacturing issues.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:08 PM   #537
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post
It is my hope that eventually Amazon will admit the problem with the color blotches, and I may get a replacement under warranty. Right now their customer service acts like this problem is mythical and/or completely unheard of.
When I spoke to Amazon CS they told me they were aware of the problem, if that makes you feel better. I'm pretty disgusted with the PW merry go round too, so I feel your pain.

Also, someone on kindle boards had this chat with CS about the PW problem. I'll copy the chat here. (It's on kindleboards the defective PW thread.)

Jose David:Thank you very much for waiting. I apologize for the long delay.

Me:That's okay, thank you for all your help.

Jose David:It seems this issue with the screen on the paperwhite has been reported. We've getting many of those, so I think the best way to go in this case is to send the kindle back for a refund, and then wait a little bit while our technical team is working on those tickets.
If we send you another one, we can't guarantee it won't have any screen issues, so I think the best decision in this case would be to refund the kindle.
I apologize on behalf of the company for this inconvenience you're having with the kindle paperwhite.

Me:Thank you for your input, david. I agree that there is no use in sending another unit. I will package up this replacement and send it back....however, if we send back the original defective one, my fiance will not have a kindle to read on (we sold his kindle fire when we pre-ordered) so I think we will keep it regardless of the defects and hope that we can take advantage of our warranty if amazon does work out the kinks later. While it is disappointing, it's still better than no kindle at all.

Jose David:Ok. Yes, definitely, the kindle will still be covered by the 1 year warranty, so once the issue is taken care of, we can get you a working unit.

Me:Great. Then that is settled. Thank you very much for your help, David. Would it be okay if I just sent this kindle back using the label I was going to use for the original defective kindle?

Jose David:You're welcome. Yes, that would be fine, you can use that label.

Me:Thank you again.
I will send it back and look forward to a future fix
We love amazon and this does not deter us from purchasing again.

Jose David:Thank you for your understanding.
Have a nice day :-)

Me:You too!
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:14 PM   #538
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's hardly noticeable in your pictures, so it could be the camera and not the device itself, but it looks like it has a pink spot in the center top, but that it is mostly green otherwise, and then gets pink(?) again towards the bottom? But again, hardly noticeable.
I know when I have tried to take pictures, the defects were nit showing properly.. So it may or may not look worse in person.

My last one has about the same color pattern but it looks much more intense. Maybe it's your PW's twin.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:14 PM   #539
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
No kidding!

-----

To be Honest.. looks like my Nook Glo.. only worse.. just being honest of what I see here.. So the bottom line is YUK.. not what I was hoping to see.. Looks the they have some RSAD issues..just my 3 cents.. (inflation) use to be 2 cents..

Last edited by MrDoug; 10-17-2012 at 09:19 PM.
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #540
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I'm seeing a little color in there but it is hard enough to evaluate that when looking at my own PW visually, much less in a photo. It looks reasonably good.

I'm still going back and forth about requesting a replacement for mine. I don't have an egregiously bad screen (no pinholes or light bars or uneven LEDs), but it does have some pastel clouds that show up at certain light levels with certain ambient lighting, and these are mildly distracting. But it seems there aren't any screens entirely free of this, and I can usually adjust the light to minimize it.

Perhaps a bigger problem for me is that I'm starting to notice that text doesn't render evenly across the entire screen. So some text on some regions of the page looks slightly bolder than text elsewhere on the same page. It appears to be a screen issue; the screen captures I've done show that the letterforms are defined identically no matter where they are on the page. Forcing page refresh does not fix it. It is as if some regions render greyscale more darkly than others, i.e have different 'response curves.' I need to create some test images (e.g. full page image swatches at different greyscale levels) to see what is going on, so I can decide if it is worth trying an exchange.

Apart from that, I prefer the way text renders on PW to Kindle Touch. Line spacing is a little tighter than Kindle Touch, and a little more text fits on each line (because there's more flexibility about how it can be justified). The new typefaces are nice to have.
Others have reported this defect on their PWs, though it does not seem to be as common as the other ones.