Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 12-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #1
dracodoc
Connoisseur
dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DXG, Sony T1
Any program to cut and merge pages to new aspect ratio?

I found lots of pdf I have can be cropped or converted to a single column pdf, whose page width actually fit well for Eink reader, but its page height is often too much for 1 page. If we have a "fit visible" or "fit width" option in Eink reader, that will be great! Which means all the pages can be thought of a continuous flow, and the screen will display the content by fit width, then page down to next "page" or view.

However I only knew foxit eslick have this option. Kindle and sony 505 don't have this.

So I'm looking for a program to process text based pdf by this rule:
1. the pdf is already cropped and processed, so it's single column.
2. cut the page vertically into smaller page fit reader screen. At the end of one page, the leftover may be not enough for one page, then it can be merged to next page.

Basically it take the pdf pages as a continuous flow, cut them into new pages according to Eink reader screen aspect ratio.

Pdflrf actually can do this, but it will convert pdf into image, and it will at least thicken 1 step. I often found some artifacts in each page. I cannot make soPDF do what I want. Most page splitting and merging software on Internet are just splitting and merging the document by pages.
dracodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:29 AM   #2
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
I think it's just sad that manufacturers don't add "fit to width" for PDF. If I make a PDF 1x1 centimetres, the reader displays only a small square in the centre? Now that's just pathetic... That's why I hope they'll release colour e-Ink, Android tablets next year, where you can choose your favourite reading program! Being stuck with just the one that the manufacturer provides - with its idiosyncrasies, bugs and whatnot - is a very BAD idea. But I guess they figure you won't be using PDF (much!).

So you'd like the bottom of a page to continue on the next page? You could export the PDF as JPG images (or PNG so there won't be any artefacts) and save them into an ePub. AFAIK, if you set a different font size than the author intended, ePub splits images automatically between the pages - which I find it very odd, but whatever. You'll also lose the search/highlighting function unless you run them through ABBYY FineReader. Apparently version 11 can save directly to ePub (you'll have to change the output settings so that it doesn't process the images from PNG to JPG or worse, from JPG to JPG, producing even more artefacts).

Trying to reflow the PDF may not work if it's not a tagged PDF, or it may screw up paragraph positions because the "standard" PDF has individual letters and groups of letters as a bunch of objects with fixed positions, which sometimes produces awkward results.

Last edited by DSpider; 12-15-2011 at 05:05 AM.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2011, 09:16 AM   #3
dracodoc
Connoisseur
dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DXG, Sony T1
Thanks for the suggestion, I never thought epub can do this. But I'll read the book in Kindle DX and I didn't install any hack to be able to read epub.

Right now I'm using mobipocket creator to convert the pdf into html, then convert to mobi by calibre. It worked relative well if there is no graph and complex formats.

I may try to write some program to do this in near future.
dracodoc is offline   Reply With Quote