Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-25-2011, 06:33 PM   #16
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
logan's run, william f. Nolan and george clayton johnson
the time machine, h.g. wells
the running man, stephen king as richard bachman
lord of the flies, william golding
cat's cradle, kurt vonnegut
whoops try also:

tunnel in the sky, robert a. heinlein
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:48 PM   #17
Todd Young
Addict
Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I'd try Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood.

And there is another one by her called The Year of the Flood, but I haven't read it.
Todd Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2011, 02:17 PM   #18
nook2
nook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Okay, wow. A lot to follow up on. I'll have to come back to this list in a year or two.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

New Suggestions
  • Dresden Files by Jim Butcher (not sure Wizard P.I. is my cup of tea, but thanks for the suggestion)
  • The Road by Cormac Mccarthy (looks good, Post Apocalyptic fits dystophian I think)
  • Earth Abides by George Stewart (okay probably make it into the list ahead of mars series)
  • Fahrenheit 451, R. Bradbury (ahhh, a classic I haven't read)
  • Sea Kings of Mars and Otherworldly Stories by Leigh Brackett
  • Logan's Run by William F. Nolan and George Clayton Johnson
  • The Running Man by Stephen King
  • Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
  • Tunnel in the Sky by Robert A. Heinlein
  • Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
  • The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood
previously read
  • the time machine, h.g. wells
  • lord of the flies, william golding
nook2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:32 AM   #19
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Patriot: surviving the coming collapse
I actually read this. Impulse late night ebook purchase. Ugh. Hilariously bad, imo. Didn't even learn much useful about survival.

If it hasn't been mentioned, The Forever War is a worthy consideration. (Joe Haldeman)

Last edited by OtterBooks; 09-28-2011 at 01:34 AM.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:16 AM   #20
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
I actually read this. Impulse late night ebook purchase. Ugh. Hilariously bad, imo. Didn't even learn much useful about survival.

If it hasn't been mentioned, The Forever War is a worthy consideration. (Joe Haldeman)
patriots is the troll 2/birdemic of dystopian literature. strip any technical merit out of the turner diaries and you're left with patriots.

unless i'm thinking of another book isn't patriots the one with the baby-eating liberals? (i only made it through like 5%).

The Plague Years by Jeff Carlson is pretty cool. nano-machines have swarmed the earth and the remnants of humanity scrape survival from cold mountaintops.

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess is an absolute classic.

The World Inside by Robert Silverberg-"Welcome to Urban Monad 116. Reaching nearly two miles into the sky, the one thousand stories of this building are home to over eight hundred thousand people living in peace and harmony. In the year 2381 with a world population of over seventy-five billion souls, the massive Urbmon system is humanity’s salvation.

Life in Urbmon 116 is highly regulated, life is cherished, and the culture of procreation is seen as the highest pinnacle of god’s plan. Conflict is abhorred, and any who disturb the peace face harsh punishment—even being sent “down the chute” to be recycled as fertilizer."
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2011, 10:07 AM   #21
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
You might like the Pelbar Cycle series by Paul O. Williams. "The Breaking of Northwall" is the first novel. It is about a post-atomic war North America which has recovered very slowly. Northwall is a Pelbar city on the Heart (Mississippi) River. Pelbar society is matriarchial; however, the central character is a male guardsman who is exiled from Northwall. The book is primarily about his interactions with the societies outside the Pelbar cities.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #22
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post

I'd second the Forever War, the sequel was good too, but for the love of Dog, don't read the third one. Baaad. And from an author I like too.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:28 AM   #23
nook2
nook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Simple Touch
nice. the list continues to extend.

I finished up Xenocide and Lone Survivor on Saturday. Definitely done withe Ender saga (ya da ya da ya da) man that just keeps going and I'm not convinced it's headed anywhere.

Lone Survivor on the other hand was excellent to the end. I particularly enjoyed the disdain the author had for US media. It was really funny.
nook2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:52 PM   #24
RW2112
Connoisseur
RW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: iPad 2
Can't think of the author, but try Metro 2033
RW2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:33 AM   #25
Clawdia
Connoisseur
Clawdia is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle (K3, DXG)
I loved One Second After. Also liked Cronin's Passage - not your typical vampire novel in the least, and definitely dystopian.

The original Dune books by Frank Herbert were all good - but I'd skip the ones written by his son.

I never read anything by Heinlein that I wasn't glad afterwards that I'd read.

If you haven't read Arthur Clarke's Childhood's End, I'd put that at the top of any list. It's the book that got me hooked on science fiction many, many years ago.

Davy by Edgar Pangborn is another 'oldie but goodie'.

The Handmaid's Tale is also a favorite, as is MK Wren's A Gift Upon the Shore (although that one isn't available for Kindle).

A couple of 'doorstop' sized books - The Stand by Stephen King, if you've not read it - and The Rift by Walter Jon Williams, a fictionalized account of the catastrophe that happened the last time the New Madrid fault slipped in the early 1800s. It's not science fiction, but reads like it might be - and since the fault could slip again any time, in my mind it's a glimpse of things that might yet be.
Clawdia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dystopian, recommendation, sci fi